LK
Posted By
Leen_Koper
Feb 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Although it is mainly sad news, it is well worth taking a look as there are some extremely nice and moving pictures at:
<http://www.worldpressphoto.nl/winnerList.jsp>

Leen

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

GD
Grant_Dixon
Feb 14, 2004
Leen

Striking, but as you say very down. I don’t remember a other year seeing so many sad WPP news photos.

Grant
SR
Schraven_Robert
Feb 14, 2004
Grant,

I agree with you. 🙁

Robert
LK
Leen_Koper
Feb 14, 2004
Nevertheless there is an extremely hopeful picture: the one with the disabled people playing soccer in the rain. Wonderful emotion, wonderful triangular composition!

Leen
ML
Marty_Landolt
Feb 15, 2004
Leen, I skipped over the sad pictures and found many happy ones. Very Nice!
Marty
LK
Leen_Koper
Feb 15, 2004
Marty, that’s what I usually try to do too.
Nevertheless, some images are that impressive they have become icons of our time. Just remember the naked little girl running away from the attack in Vietnam. Everyone knows this image. I will never be able to forget the winner of a few years ago of a little child refugee looking through the rear window of a bus when fleeing from het home. And the Japanese politician, right before being killed with a huge sword. I have always been thinkingwhat I would have done, thrown my camera at the killer or pressed the shutter.

From this years exhibition I know I will never forget the joy on the faces of these young people playing soccer in the rain on crutches.

Leen
SR
Schraven_Robert
Feb 15, 2004
Leen,

I have thought that same question. The answer should be: Press the shutter as that is what you are there for. However if you change tack and throw your camera at the killer, you probably will be next.
A while ago on german tv there was a programm about an american photographer with a german name who has been a war photographer since the vietnam war. He is knees up into misery, death and decay every day. I just don’t know how he can stand it.

Robert

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections