PG
Posted By
Philip_Green
Feb 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently purchased a Kodak 8500 Dye Sublimation printer. I had been using HP products. There is a problem with the compatability of the Kodak drivers, Windows XP and Adope Photoshop Elements. The printer works with pre-bundled photo processing software, but will not work with Adobe. Kodak has been unable (so far) to fix the problem. If anyone has had the same problem and has been able to resolve it, please help.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RB
Ralph_Brannon
Feb 13, 2004
I have an HP Computer, XP, and the Kodak 8500 for about a year. I have had very few problems. However:
I have to reload the drivers every time XP is started. I copied the drivers folder to the desktop from the CD. Before I shut-down the computer, I go to the printers folder and delete the kodak printer.
After XP is started I turn on the printer, after a few seconds the new hardware screen comes up. I pick the specific locations option, and point it at the drivers folder on my desktop. (using browse).
It loads and all is OK.
The reason I do this is ,even though the Kodak printer still shows up, when windows is started, if you try to print, it does nothing, or will get an error.
Also my printer was one of the original printers, so I had to update the firmware, and drivers after I got it. I suspect though that you either have the new version, or have updated.
Kodak people are very helpful, but even though they gave me a procedure, which I can’t remember now, to use. It didn’t work.
But I have had no problems since I started deleting the printer, and re-installing after start up. After 100’s of prints, I am pretty happy with my printer. TIP: When buying paper, DO NOT get the 8.5×11 paper, it WON’T print a full 8×10. Get the 8.5 x12. I also, personally, don’t care for the matte finish ribbon. The new drivers let you adjust the amount of texture, but I really don’t care for the look. I have gone back to using the glossy ribbon.

Ralph
<http://www.darkstar.us>
G
garyheaton
Feb 16, 2004
Hi Ralph,
I am sure you did a driver update, from the device manager section of xp, but I thought I would mention it anyway. (Hitting the update driver button, and loading the new drivers from there, so they SHOULD BE the default drivers from then on.) I am assuming that didn’t work for you however.
I would suggest going to the device manager, and checking what driver it loads as a default, then using the Search feature, copy and paste, or just type in that driver file name and file path, and then deleting the original XP default driver totally out of your system. Then reloading the new driver that works for you. With no other driver for xp to default to, it SHOULD use the updated driver you have installed from then on.
Of course you may want to make a back up copy of the driver you remove from xp, and put it on a disk, just in case you need to reload it, if the above fails. But if it does you no good anyway, you really have nothing to lose if you dont want to bother with the back up.
I had the same problem with a firewire netcam I have, when I changed from Win’98 over to XP pro. It kept defaulting to the built in default XP driver, which would not work at all. I was able to find a new xp supported driver, but every time it loaded, it would load to the default one instead. That was the only way I could make it load the new driver on boot up each time. It worked for me anyway. It was just a thought..good luck to both of you with your printers.
Gary~*

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections