SS
Posted By
Serge_Skysi
Sep 30, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I usually assign Adobe RGB profile to my raw files, and when after some adjustments I convert them to jpg and send them to some people, I leave that profile attached to the files.
I’m not sure, though, if the people I send my images to see the same colors and lightness that I do on their monitors. How do I make sure they see exactly or closest towhat I see?
Should I use sRGB?
Thanks,
Serge

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

C
chrisjbirchall
Sep 30, 2006
Adobe RGB1998 is a "wide gamut" colour profile. As such, it makes to sense to keep this as your workspace (EDIT>COLOR_SETTINGS) as your files will contain a broader range of colours suitable for a variety of purposes.

However, most monitors approximate the narrower sRGB colour space, as do many image viewing applications, including web browsers (although colour management IS on the horizon here).

So before you send your image to be viewed by others – and that includes email and on web pages – it makes sense to save out these particular Jpegs using sRGB.

Beware of the difference between "assign" and "convert". You only ever use "assign" when opening an untagged image. If you were to "assign" sRGB to one with the the Adobe RGB tag, you would alter the actual colours. Always use "convert". You will see no difference when you perform this operation because colour-managed Photoshop takes care of the way it displays. But you file saved in sRGB will display to the "rest of the world" more or less how you intended it to.

Hope this helps.

Chris.

PS: A good place to gain a greater understanding of this minefield which is colour management is : <http://www.computer-darkroom.com>
SS
Serge_Skysi
Oct 1, 2006
Thanks a lot, Chris. Appreciate the link, too. Great site!
P
Pipkin
Oct 1, 2006
Yes, and "assign" procedure must be used pretty carefully, because an assigning wrong profile may dramatically shift and distort native colors.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections