Posted By
richard
Sep 29, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all
Can anyone tell me the most realistic way of defocusing selected parts of an image in PS, so that they appear as if they had been in soft focus when photographed?

For example: The effect that I am looking for is the same as a shot taken on a long lens and a wide aperture with the mid-ground subject sharp, whilst shallow depth-of-field throws the background and/or foreground nicely out of focus. The optics of the lens has the effect of increasing the size of the defocused image elements (the effect on the highlights being the most prominent) and it is this effect that I am having trouble simulating.

I have played around endlessly with Gaussian Blur and Lens Blur, but it still doesn’t look right especially with the highlights which are the biggest giveaway.

Any help would be most welcomed
Richard

richard

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MH
Mike Hyndman
Sep 29, 2006
"richard" wrote in message
Hi all
Can anyone tell me the most realistic way of defocusing selected parts of an image in PS, so that they appear as if they had been in soft focus when photographed?

For example: The effect that I am looking for is the same as a shot taken on a long lens and a wide aperture with the mid-ground subject sharp, whilst shallow depth-of-field throws the background and/or foreground nicely out of focus. The optics of the lens has the effect of increasing the size of the defocused image elements (the effect on the highlights being the most prominent) and it is this effect that I am having trouble simulating.

I have played around endlessly with Gaussian Blur and Lens Blur, but it still doesn’t look right especially with the highlights which are the biggest giveaway.

Any help would be most welcomed
Richard

richard

40 plus tutorials here http://www.pixel2life.com/search/4/soft+focus/1/

HTH
MH

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections