LE
Posted By
Lenny Eiger
Sep 12, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am trying to raster some eps files into Phostoshop CS 2. Client wants them printed very large, so I want to have as many pixels as I can get.

I have a G5 Quad, with 12.5 Gigs of RAM. I was able to import at 720 dpi about 44 inches wide. This was the limit the program gave me, and it took a while!. I have memory prefs set at maximum 100%.

What controls the limit of how much I can get? Is it better to export frrom Illustrator? Are there other things I should know?

Should I anti-alias – there are fine lines in the image and I wouldn’t want them to widen…

Thanks,

Lenny Eiger

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Buko
Sep 12, 2006
300,000 pixels by 300,000 pixels
LE
Lenny Eiger
Sep 12, 2006
thanks for the reply –

Then why did it tell me I couldn’t go larger than 32,000? I have plenty of RAM and everything else…
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 12, 2006
Do you have "Enable Large Document Format (.psb)" checked in Photoshop’s prefs.?
LE
Lenny Eiger
Sep 12, 2006
Yes. I work with very large files all the time.

I have an Aztek Premier drum scanner, the finest ever made – it does 8,000 dpi and 8,000 dpi optical. Most of the files we start with are 1.7 gigs (over 300 megapixels). I can do larger, but it is rarely necessary… oops, sorry for the plug – I can’t help myself sometimes.

😉

Lenny EigerPhoto
www.eigerphoto.com
R
Ram
Sep 13, 2006
Then why did it tell me I couldn’t go larger than 32,000

Interesting. That was the limit in Photoshop 7.

I have a G5 Quad, with 12.5 Gigs of RAM

Have you installed the plug-in to work around the issues with machines that have more than 4GB of RAM installed?
JS
John_Slate
Sep 13, 2006
I gather that the final output is continuous tone in nature?

How big is very large?

What is the device?

Why so much resolution?

Have you though of rasterizing the EPS in sections and piecing it together in InDesign?
CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 13, 2006
Perhaps the eps parser is still stuck with the 30 000 pixel limit?

Have you tried rasterising .AI files instead? (I am assuming these are Illustrator files)

Could your RIP perhaps parse them and save them as (IIRC, both Cheetah and ONYX RIPs allowed you to save TIFF files

Finally I’d be interested in knowing why you have to rasterize them rather than just printing them directly?
LE
Lenny Eiger
Sep 13, 2006
Ramon – yes, I installed the plugin many moons ago
John, CN – client wants a 60 inch or larger print. Output is defninitely continous tone, device is 54 inch wide Roland d’Vinci system, best printer in its class, outdoes the Epsons by a mile. Resolution question is interesting – I want at least 300 dpi for as large as the client wants to go. Prefereably more. There are many very fine lines drawn in Illustratrator that will show at a rez lower than 300. I will output crops today at a large size so that I can see what will happen at the full size.. using the 32,000.
I rasterized them so that they work work with my profile – client didn’t assign a profile at all and worked in cmyk. I could send them along that way to the RIP, but the color space is so small… basically SWOP. My whole system is tuned to perfection in RGB. The RIP does the CMYK conversion. I think the correct answer is that the eps parser is stuck at 32,000. However, I think I have enough… that’s about 80 inches at 360 and I don’t think he’s going to ask for more than that…

Lenny
eigerphoto.com
CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 13, 2006
I rasterized them so that they work work with my profile

?

You do no Illustrator does colour management these days, right? (Not as nicely as PS, I admit, but it should work for your purposes)
LE
Lenny Eiger
Sep 13, 2006
CN – I do know it does. The first tries failed, but I got it after a bit. I have tried to ignore Illustrator…. but apparently can no longer. It has gotten a lot better over the years…

So what is this about the illustrator gradation tool not letting one get a darker black?

Lenny
CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 13, 2006
So what is this about the illustrator gradation tool not letting one get a darker black?

Not sure what you mean, but if you are using C0 M0 Y0 K100 as your black, then that is not the darkest black available (the darkest black would be a rich black) Of course using a rich black may mean you have problems keeping the gradient neutreal (assuming you have a gradient from black to white) If your gradient is from black to a colour, then that problem is academic.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections