BH
Posted By
Brian_Hinther
Sep 12, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I realize Adobe doesn’t advise saving over a network, but we never had any problems until CS2. Now images saved over the network get truncated at least half the time.

Is this a problem for anyone else, or does everyone routinely save to the desktop first and then move the file to the network?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Sep 12, 2006
Brian,

In principle it should work —if your network is setup correctly.

This is the boilerplate text I use in connection to saving to a network (please NOTE the part where it explains that normally, it does work, but that it is impossible to troubleshoot someone else’s network remotely, and that’s why it’s not supported by Adobe):

If you are opening files over a network or saving them to a network server, please cease and desist immediately in the event you are currently experiencing problems with one or more files. Working across a network is not supported.

See:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/322391.html>

Copy the CLOSED file from your server to your local hard disk, work on it, save it again to your local hard disk, close it, and copy the closed file back to the server.

Of course, the fact that Adobe does not support working across a network does not necessarily mean it won’t work. It should.

Adobe’s position is that there are too many variables in a network environment for them to guarantee that everything will work correctly in every network, especially given the fact that if something does not work properly, it’s probably the network’s fault, and Adobe has no way of troubleshooting your network.

If you can’t work locally, you are on your own, and if something happens, you’re on your own. If you must work from a server, make sure your network administrator is a competent professional.

When problems arise, a lot of valuable work can be lost.
R
Ram
Sep 12, 2006
This issue comes up often enough in this forum to know it is a problem.
EG
Eric_Gibbs
Sep 12, 2006
We have this same issue on our server, and like you it didn’t occur until CS2. Nowadays, we just save to our hard drive and then back over to the server.

One thing I do that hasn’t failed me so far is to save it 3 times (before you close it) on the server, not under the save as, but doing Command + S. Quickest way to do that is use the lasso to select a small part of the image, and use eraser outside of that selection. So far it’s worked for me but save to the desktop in a backup folder if you can.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections