When opening images in Photoshop CS2 and color bars and image displacement appear

JM
Posted By
Jeannie_Mutum
Sep 11, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello, I have a problem with Photoshop CS2

Machine Name: Power Mac G5
Machine Model: PowerMac7,3
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 1.8 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 3 GB
Bus Speed: 900 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.1.8f7

Available memory hard drive 1: 20.88 GB
Available memory hard drive 2: 223.28 GB

I open a new document or image and go through my normal work flow of changing the image, adding color or whatever. Then I save and close the file. When I reopen the file, color bars and diplaced parts of the image appear. They are not on a layer, but part of the image.

This only happens in Photoshop. If I open it in preview, it does not show up. However, once the file is damaged, it will show up with the color bars and displaced image parts in preview, iphoto and any other applications.

The steps I have taken so far are reinstalling the program, getting rid of the Photoshop preferences, saving under different file names. I do not get any messages that come up on the screen when I open the file.

I have contacted Adobe and expained the problem and their technician could not give my anymore advice.

I would greatly appreciate any help you could give me as I have been required to pay for reprinting of projects due to image problems.

Thank you so much,
Jeannie Mutum

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Sep 11, 2006
Jeannie.

Are you working across a network? (Bad.) Do you have NAV (Norton Anti Virus) installed? (Worse.)

If neither of those apply, suspect a hardware problem, most likely bad or mismatched RAM, a hard drive going bad, bad cables or connections, or a combination of all of the above.

Yes, I read where you said "This only happens in Photoshop." It can still be hardware. Photoshop pushes RAM harder than any other software, and Photoshop files tend to be larger than other documents.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 11, 2006
As you have correctly surmised, your files have become permanently damaged.

There could be several reasons:
You are working on open files across a Network;
You have a damaged Hard Drive (Repair it with Disk Warrior); You have bad, badly matched incorrectly-seated RAM;
You have bad internal cable connections.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections