Cut a figure out-now how do I get rid of it and color in where it was?

MS
Posted By
Mary_Schoettle
Feb 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am new to Elements and not using the layers properly b/c I am not sure what to click to make the layer [the book is vague] . I cut the person out and did succeed in making it into a new layer [which I do not want to keep and not sure how I did it], but now I need to color in where the figure was. The clone stamp tool seems to pick up the color away from it where the cross hairs are and puts in other colors that are not wanted.
There are going to be several color changes to match a cheerleading uniform and background. Any steps that will make this easier? Thank you, Mary

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CF
Callum_Ferguson
Feb 10, 2004
Mary

After selecting the person press delete, that leaves a hole where the person was, now deslect, make another selection the required shape in the hole area and use the paint bucket to fill with colour, deselect again and repeat as necessary.
I must be learning something here.

Regards
Malcolm
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 10, 2004
Mary,

Is there some place where you can post this image on the web? Did your IP give you some webspace, or do you have space at pbase.com? Pbase.com will give you a 30 trial period I believe and you could put your image there for us to see. Seeing your particular image would help a lot in giving you suggestions.
MS
Mary_Schoettle
Feb 11, 2004
I joined www.webshots.com as a temp. to use for help. The trail [I think ] is <http://community.webshots.com/user/33smile> or < http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action =showMyPhoto&albumID=117614621&photoID=117623655&amp ;security=QWKFrn > may work . Not having done it before I am not sure, please let me know if you can not view the photo of 3 teens that I want to cut and color in where the person on the R. is. Thank you
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 11, 2004
Mary,

The link that ends with 33smile is the right one… I clicked the other, too, but got an error on that one.

The goal for your image is quite challenging, I think, so I won’t advise with regard to that… sorry.

With luck, someone will be able to provide some advice.

Byron
SS
Susan_S.
Feb 11, 2004
Given the complexity of the background and the fact that the figure that you want to remove is inconsiderately standing in front of one that you want to keep it’ s going to be hard…If you have enpugh pixels and would be happy with just a head and shoulders shot that would be quite easy. Otherwise if you want to attempt the very difficult I would suggest extracting the two that you want to keep and putting them in front of a new background – then you are only going to have to either paint in by hand (next to impossible) or find another image of the same person or another person in the same uniform showing the right hand side and "borrow" some of that to reconstruct the central girl’s missing portion.. Some times you can copy one side and flip to create a missing other sides but that isn’t really possible in this case as the left hand fifure is blocking the other side!….As Byron says this is very difficult – a picture of the girl on the right on her own would be quite easy!
CF
Callum_Ferguson
Feb 11, 2004
Mary.

It seems that i misunderstood what you were trying to do after looking at the pic, intrigued, I had a play and found after a few minutes that if you forget about cutting out the rh person and use a sutiablly sized rect marque to make a selection of the carpet /floor / brick wall and copy and paste over the unwanted one you can quickly get rid of most of it, however redrawing the rhs of the girl will be tricky, I did try using a brush but my painting ability is lousy, showed promise. Hope that helps. Maybe some trickery in layers or masks might do the trick.
Regards
Malcolm
TF
Terri_Foster
Feb 11, 2004
Mary, I think I have an answer for you if you have the patience and that background is important to you. What I did was take your photo and make it a layer. Click on the lock a couple of times. Put a new transparent layer under it. Now select out the girl and bag. Keep is reasonably tight. Now, hit the delete key. You should have just a checkerboard design. What I did was select a large piece of mat on the right hand side with the lasso. Now do a layer via copy. Drop this copy of the selected area of mat below your photo and move it to your hole and use transform to stretch it to fill the hole. Now duplicate this layer and put the new layer in screen at about 21% opacity so your color matches. Now you can camaflague the seam by selecting it with the lasso and then applying about 2.0 gassian blur. Do this again for the floor. Same routine as with the mat. Now for the door I used the large black lockers. You’ll end up having to do a little cloning on the door seam. I ended up having to do one curl and with the above method. Also I had to use the paint brush to square off the bottom of the door. Just put one spot down hold shift key and place second spot at the end of the door to make a straight line with paint brush. Just remember to always drop your layers below your original photo to fill the holes and you should be fine.

Terri
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 11, 2004
Mary,

You could something like

<http://www.pbase.com/image/25971825>
MS
Mary_Schoettle
Feb 11, 2004
You are all awesome with the details and suggestions. I look forward to trying Terri’s suggestions and hope that I can accomplish this task. Thank you,Mary
MS
Mary_Schoettle
Feb 11, 2004
I just went to Nancy’s link and saw what she had done with the photo–amazing- now how long is it going to take me to learn how to do all of this fun and challenging stuff.
I have many challenging photos that I will probably ask for more help on in the future. Thank you, Mary
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 11, 2004
Mary, much of the fun is in the learning; you’ll find a lot of people here will master a technique, then immediately start trying to figure out another way to do the same thing!
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 11, 2004
Mary,

That was a five minute job just to give you an idea of an easier way to have your two main characters without the third (just don’t include her at all!!)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections