R
Posted By
Ram
Sep 9, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Thanks to Ann (full explanation in my next post), I’ve just finished installing Tiger, after putting it through a veritable torture test on my guinea-pig volume on a separate drive first.

I have upgraded to Tiger also on my boot drive too, but I did end up nuking the Dashboard through the Terminal, and using Spotless and Notlight to tame the abominable Spotlight.

Dashboard turned out to be even more annoying than I had remembered, so that sucker’s gone for good. A single longish command in the Terminal did it.

Notlight <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/29015> is a GREAT front end for Spotlight. Apple ought to be ashamed.

Spotless <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/26842> keeps Spotlight confined any which way you like.

And EasyFind <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/11706> is a total replacement for Spotlight.

Now I can enjoy this Tiger.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ram
Sep 9, 2006
Ann,

It wasn’t just your prodding, kidding and knocking me for being a Tiger holdout that finally made me upgrade to Tiger, indirectly it was you who got me an off-the shelf Tiger box, since it was a gift in appreciation by a friend of my wife’s for having helped her troubleshoot her setup and monitor, which I could not have been able to do without your sending me that PDF of a certain monitor manual. 🙂

Thanks again.
WB
William Bojanowski
Sep 9, 2006
In article ,
Ram
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 9, 2006
That is such a lovely story — one good deed begetting others … right across the country …!
S
SteveV
Sep 9, 2006
Pay it forward in real life.
B
Buko
Sep 9, 2006
But I just love my wigets.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 9, 2006
Wigets … or Widgets — or perhaps even Wickets?

🙂
R
Ram
Sep 10, 2006
Buko,

My machine is maxed out at 2GB of RAM. The stupid dashboard is wasting RAM even when it’s not on. Anything you can do with a widget can be accomplished in some other way without continuously wasting valuable and limited resources.
R
Ram
Sep 10, 2006
The two improvements I see with Tiger so far:

* Apple’s Disk Utility repairs permissions many times faster than in Panther;

* The ability to change file type of screen shots for posting them on Pixentral.
C
Cindy
Sep 10, 2006
How do you get your screen shots? I use Grab.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 10, 2006
Cmd Shift 4
and pull a marquee around what you want to include in the screen shot.

And just change it in Cocktail to make all screen-shots JPEGS.

[No need for "Grab" at all!]
C
Cindy
Sep 10, 2006
Wow….thanks Ann! Guess I have to get Cocktail.
R
Ram
Sep 10, 2006
Even after "taming" Spotlight, I kept seeing the spinning flywheel/beach ball all too often. Now I’ve nuked Spotlight alltogether and have not seen the spinning flywheel at all. Gone; period.
C
Cindy
Sep 10, 2006
Ann, I found it in Cocktail under interface/misc. I changed it to jpg but it continues to save screen shots as png.
B
Buko
Sep 10, 2006
Ramón you might want to look into a Sonnet upgrade card I think they make a dual. It made a big difference for me when I added a Sonnet 1.4GHz to my G4 733MHz digital audio.
C
Cindy
Sep 10, 2006
When are you buying a Mac Pro Buko?
R
Ram
Sep 10, 2006
Buko,

My G4 is at 1.25GHz natively already. No point in getting a 1.4GHz CPU upgrade.

Besides, I’m perfectly happy with the speed of the machine.

The reason for disabling Dashboard is RAM.

And everything is so much better without that blasted Spotblight!
B
Buko
Sep 10, 2006
The earliest I will get one is next summer.

I’m starting a new venture and money is tight. Plus I have G5 dual core I just bought so I don’t feel its something I have to get to work productively.
B
Buko
Sep 10, 2006
You can get a dual 1.8 for $699 <http://www.sonnettech.com/product/encore_stg4.html>
B
Buko
Sep 10, 2006
R
Ram
Sep 10, 2006
Thanks, but I have an MDD Dual Processor 1.25 GHz G4. Those upgrades are for other, older, slower types of G4s.
C
Cindy
Sep 10, 2006
You have a good computer Ramon. No need to rush out if it is working for you. I am basically doing the same kind of work I was doing when I bought my G4.
R
Ram
Sep 10, 2006
Cindy,

Yes, I’m very happy with my machine. I need the dual-boot capability, so there’s nothing with which to replace it.
PC
Paul_Cutler
Sep 11, 2006
And just change it in Cocktail to make all screen-shots JPEGS.

Nice tip Ann. Thanks. Cindy, I had to reboot and this worked just fine after the reboot.

peace
DK
Doug_Katz
Sep 11, 2006
Ramón, mi amigo, I feel betrayed….

Keep me posted. Give me courage.
R
Ram
Sep 11, 2006
Doug,

If you mean you’re still a Panther holdout, good for you.

I’m grateful for the kindness of everyone directly and indirectly responsible for giving me Tiger, but I can tell you that I’d be mightily ticked off if I had spent any money on it myself.

The upgrade is just not worth it.

As a matter of fact, I wrote Apple requesting they reimburse me for the $10 I spent on the Spotless license so I could disable Spotblight. (Yeah, right. :/)

So far, the only two benefits I’ve noticed are the two noted above (Apple’s Disk Utility repairs permissions many times faster than in Panther; and the ability to change file type of screen shots for posting them on Pixentral.)

Oh, and I’ll be able to play with the Lightroom beta, even though I won’t be able to afford the real thing when it’s released.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 11, 2006
Doug has a G5 I believe and he won’t notice any slowdown caused by Dashboard or by Spotlight — provided he allows sufficient time for the latter to do its original indexing.

I checked Activity Monitor and Dashboard is using no resources whatsoever on my machine until I open its window for the first time after re-booting AND have Widgets actively being used. And even when I have, I am not aware of ANY slowness or hesitation on this machine.

The same applies to Spotlight except when saving a new file on the HD (when it briefly fires-up to Index that file. The important thing is to preclude removable Drives from being "Indexed".

I have tried EasyFind and while it will find System files it seems MUCH slower than Spotlight at finding normal files. And what is more, EasyFind continues to use resources even after you close its window — unless you actually Quit out of it
R
Ram
Sep 11, 2006
EasyFind continues to use resources even after you close its window — unless you actually Quit out of it

Yup. I generally quit out of everything I’m not using. Only Photoshop and the web browser stay open continuously.

As for Spotlight, you may be right about it not being so noticeably intrusive on a more powerful machine. However, there’s one caveat: if you happen to be using Entourage or Outlook (I know, blame it on Microsoft), Spotlight will always be intrusive on any machine, as it constantly attempts to index the MS mail database, over and over and over again, ad infinitum.

The important thing for me is that, with Spotblight disabled, I haven’t seen the spinning except for two seconds after launching Acrobat (Standard).

I’ll keep on experimenting and will look into Mail.
RM
Rick McCleary
Sep 11, 2006
Ramon –

I’m still on 10.3.9 (on a G4) and anticipate upgrading soon to a MacPro tower which will, of course, be running Tiger.

The Spotlight issue you’re noticing may be just with G4’s, but I’m curious as to whether you notice the beach ball only during the Spotlight’s initial scanning of the hard drive or every time you invoke Spotlight.
R
Ram
Sep 11, 2006
Rick,

Nope. Spotblight does not discriminate against any machine. It affects all machines, although the faster ones will cope better with it, naturally.

If Spotblight is activated on my computer, it causes the spinning wheel to appear when I do just about anything (saving, opening files, switching or launching, even quitting programs, etc.), even if I’m not "invoking" it, as you put it. It just keeps checking all volumes and never ceases to attempt to index the MS database. That’s why I just disabled it.

If I ever need it for any reason, I know I can temporarily (or permanently) enable it at will through Spotless.
C
Cindy
Sep 11, 2006
I dont seem to have any trouble with SBB with Spotlight. I have an MDD G4 as well. You can also tell Spotlight not to index certain things in Spotlight preferences. Or even certain hard drives.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 11, 2006
Perhaps the reason that I have NO problems with Spotlight (and it is weeks since I have seen any appearance of the SPOD whatsoever!) is that I have never activated Entourage at all and I only ever launch IE if I need to check the behaviour of a particular website in IE.
(I always Quit out of IE as soon as I have finished using the horrible thing.)

Normally I have quite a number of programs running simultaneously: most of the CS2 Suite including Acrobat Pro; Safari; Mail; Word too sometimes; and often a few other oddballs in Classic as well. And still no SPOD … !
R
Ram
Sep 11, 2006
Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps…

Bottom line: my machine performs very well without Spotblight. It slows down with Spotblight. That’s reality.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 11, 2006
No your machine slows down because you insist on using incompatible and outdated M$S JUNK!!!!

8)
R
Ram
Sep 11, 2006
It may be MS junk, but there’s nothing as good.
R
Ram
Sep 11, 2006
Why this obsession with controlling or dictating what I should or should not use?

I’m just reporting what happens and what works for me.
RM
Rick McCleary
Sep 11, 2006
index the MS database

What’s the MS database?
R
Ram
Sep 11, 2006
Microsoft database.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 11, 2006
I am certainly not trying to dictate what YOU should do on YOUR machine.

But why not just TRY using the Tiger alternatives of both Mail and Safari instead — before warning everybody away from both Spotlight and Dashboard when both of them work perfectly well for virtually everyone else?
R
Ram
Sep 11, 2006
Ann,

I have tried both Mail and Safari. Don’t like either. End of story.

I will try to refrain from continuing this sterile debate.
R
Ram
Sep 11, 2006
Ann,

Spotlight and Dashboard when both of them work perfectly well for virtually everyone else

Now, that is BLATANT nonsense. The Apple discussion boards are STILL full of requests for information on how to disable Spotlight.

The various Mac sites offer all kinds of workarounds to disable Spotlight.

Programmers invest time and effort to help you do it easily too.

Same goes for Dashboard.

Spotlight and Dashboard clearly DO NOT work well for a lot of people, much less "perfectly", and even less "well for virtually everyone else".

Stop trying to make this appear like I’m the only who hates them. I am not.
R
Ram
Sep 11, 2006
If anyone else is seeing the spinning flywheel more than they would like to, do yourself a favor and disable Spotlight just to see if it makes a difference or not.
B
Buko
Sep 11, 2006
Rick I only have a gig of RAM in the G4 733 with the sonnet 1.4GHz upgrade card.

I don’t have spotlight or dashboard disabled and I don’t see the SBBD. I just switched from Entourage to mail on that machine the final one. I just use it for scanning and my wife uses it for email and her school stuff.

Tiger works much better with the faster processor. this is why I suggested the processor upgrade to Ramón. for $399 he could go from Dual 1.25 to a Dual 2.0 and it would still boot OS9.
R
Ram
Sep 11, 2006
Buko,

As per OWC, that processor upgrade is NOT available for my machine (MDD G4). I couldn’t afford $3.99 anyhow, much less $399.00.
RM
Rick McCleary
Sep 11, 2006
What’s the MS database?

Microsoft database.

I have nothing on my machine that is manufactured by Microsoft (including Internet Explorer.) Based on that fact plus Buko’s and Ann’s experience, I’l give Spotlight a good try before I decide whether or not to disable it.
R
Ram
Sep 11, 2006
I’l give Spotlight a good try before I decide whether or not to disable it.

That is always a good idea. That’s exactly what I did too. That’s what I would advise anybody to do.
B
Bernie
Sep 16, 2006
Regarding post #57-62, changing the screen shot file type.

This < http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=200506272240513 61> works.

Also there is this. < http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2005/09/tigerscreens hots/index.php>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections