PhotoShop Elements to PhotoShop File Compatibility?

EL
Posted By
Eric_Loeliger
Feb 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am interested in using PhotoShop Elements at home for some graphic projects that I have. What I am not sure of is whether or not files created in Elements will be able to be opened, edited, etc. by the full version of PhotoShop (at work). Similarly, can I take a file created in PhotoShop at work, bring it home and edit it?

Thanks in advance for any assistance with this question.

Eric

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RC
Richard_Coencas
Feb 9, 2004
From Elements to Photoshop, 100% compatible. From Photoshop to Elements there is no support for CMYK or 16 bit. Images will be converted to RGB and 8bit. Other than that they are compatible.

Rich
GD
Grant_Dixon
Feb 9, 2004
Eric

File that you create in Elements will be able to be opened in Photoshop. While Files created in Photoshop will be able to be opened in Elements if you save using .PSD only feature that are supported by elements will appear. This usually will not present a problem but you must be aware of this.

Grant
RC
Richard_Coencas
Feb 9, 2004
Grant,
While PS only features may not be editable (layer sets for example), they will not be stripped out of the file. So for the purpose of roundtripping the file, you may not be able to edit all characteristics of a file in Elements, but you should be able to pass it back and forth between applications with no problem.

Rich
GD
Grant_Dixon
Feb 9, 2004
Richard

Thank you for making that point clearer. It was something I have suspected but never had the nerve to put it to the test.

Grant
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 10, 2004
A good example of something that’s editable in full Photoshop but not editable in Elements is a Curves Adjustment Layer. You can’t go in and mess with the curve settings; however, you can change the blending mode and opacity and can delete the layer or move it in the ‘stack’.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections