Posted By
DTWD
Sep 26, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi folks,

I have had this problem for months and always tried various work around’s but never get the "professional" look i am after.

When cutting anything out of a picture I always use the path tool and then re-tweak it as necessary. Now this is fine when working with people with short hair or hair that’s cut outable but falls flat on it’s face when it comes to people with frizzy hair or close up shots where you can see individual strands that because of the way hair is gives a semi transparent look.

In the past I have drawn a path around most of the head and hair and copied it to a new layer. I then drew another path around the troubled area including some background and the rest of the head and then copy that to another layer. I then switch off the original picture layer so all I am seeing is the head and hair on separate layers.

I then try various methods to get the rest of the background cut away. Usually using select colour range and deleting it away, or painting it out one bit at a time. Now this is a time consuming task, doesn’t give the best results, or at least not to the level I want. Also it doesn’t work on a lot of the pictures I want to edit.

So I was wondering how the professionals do it, how do they get superb results?

Regards
Paul

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
butters227
Sep 26, 2006
now calling myself a profesional is a long shot, but i would try using layer masks and quick mask techniques. i understand your frustration with hair, but i dont do enough extracting of the such to give specific advice.

cheers.

wrote:
Hi folks,

I have had this problem for months and always tried various work around’s but never get the "professional" look i am after.

When cutting anything out of a picture I always use the path tool and then re-tweak it as necessary. Now this is fine when working with people with short hair or hair that’s cut outable but falls flat on it’s face when it comes to people with frizzy hair or close up shots where you can see individual strands that because of the way hair is gives a semi transparent look.

In the past I have drawn a path around most of the head and hair and copied it to a new layer. I then drew another path around the troubled area including some background and the rest of the head and then copy that to another layer. I then switch off the original picture layer so all I am seeing is the head and hair on separate layers.

I then try various methods to get the rest of the background cut away. Usually using select colour range and deleting it away, or painting it out one bit at a time. Now this is a time consuming task, doesn’t give the best results, or at least not to the level I want. Also it doesn’t work on a lot of the pictures I want to edit.

So I was wondering how the professionals do it, how do they get superb results?
Regards
Paul
P
Phosphor
Sep 26, 2006
Fuzzy, wispy, intricate, translucent edges are always a chore, and they require that the serious Photoshop user be adept at many different techniques. Along with acquiring the actual skills, what separates a competent Photoshopper from an expert is the ability to look at an image and to be able to assess which parts of an image require which techniques.

To that end, I have a thread running which assembles links to in-depth explanations and tutorials for many or most of the techniques we should all know. With diligent practice, learning the techniques will also train the user’s brain and eyes to know how to make an assessment of any image and to know almost immediately which techniques to apply.

There are only very rarely occasions where a "One-Click" approach will work on complicated edges. Nobody can hold your hand (well, they could, but most folks don’t have the time or energy) and walk you through the process with a specific image. It’s up to each of us to learn the techniques for ourselves.

Have a look:
Phosphor.Digital, "Advanced masking and isolation" #1, 27 Jan 2005 9:06 am </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>
D
DTWD
Sep 26, 2006
Cheers, I will take a read.

Regards
Paul

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections