New to 2.0 and having some difficulties…

SL
Posted By
Sean_Lloyd
Feb 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello all. This is gonna be kind of long.

As the subject line indicates, I am a noob to digital photography, and to Elements. For Christmas, I received an Olympus C-740, and soon thereafter purchased Photoshop. The camera came with Camedia software, which allowed me to do little more than download images to my pc. No email support. Both photo programs were successfully installed (I think.)

OK, to my problems.

From what I have been able to glean from the help function, the book, etc etc, Photoshop is supposed to…I guess "embrace" the original software. That is, when I want to download from the camera, I enter Elements, click import, select the camera/software, then save the downloaded images as
PSD(?) files. Well, I can download fine if I start from Camedia, but Photoshop isn’t recognizing Camedia at all. The options presented include "PDF Image, my scanner/printer/copier, and frame from video." What I end up doing is browsing the original images in the Camedia folders, doing a little screwing around, then resaving (JPEG, not Photoshop file.) The Camedia saves these as Quicktime JPEG’s (not sure if this is important, but didn’t want to leave any stone unturned.)

Next, I just purchased a new car, and of course, being a proud papa, took some pics. Spent WAY TO MUCH DAMNED TIME last night trying to get the sizing correct. Photoshop is also defaulting to the wrong email program, but by browsing previous posts, I think I have that problem solved (Control Panel–>Internet Options–>etc.)

Here is the email process that I went through. Browse images in the Camedia folders (Using Photoshop,)clicked on attach to email, shrink it a little (files end up around 500kb,) hit ok, and then it goes to the wrong email, cancel, cancel. I end up bringing up Outlook Express, attaching the jpeg files and sending.

Talked to my father this morning, and the files he got were of the jumbo variety, where one section of the pic takes up the entire screen. I sent them to myself as well, as a test shot, and have the same problem. Using his browser, he was able to resize to a more manageable image.

Sorry for the length, but at this point, I am highly frustrated, and am sick of poring over documentation! I want help from a human being. This CANNOT be as difficult as I am making it.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JH
Jim_Hess
Feb 9, 2004
I think a lot of people, if not most, use other software to download their pictures to their hard drive and then simply open those downloaded files with Photoshop Elements. JPEG is not just a Quicktime file format, it is the most common format used by digital cameras. Some cameras provide an option to save in a RAW format, mine allows me to save uncompressed TIFF files as an alternative. But these formats create significantly larger files. When you use the "Save for the Web" feature you need to resize your pictures to something like 640×480. Then they will be small enough to be viewed much more easily by your e-mail recipients. The photos taken by your camera are much larger than that, and if you don’t reduce the size it will be difficult to display them properly in an e-mail message.

Since you stated that you are new at using Photoshop Elements, it would be a good idea for you to do a lot of experimenting using copies of your pictures. Photoshop Elements is such a versatile program, but you have to know how to make good decisions. Unfortunately for newcomers, it seems that Elements assumes that you know what you want and know how to get it with the program. So take a deep breath, slow down a little bit, and familiarize yourself with your new fantastic new toys.
MR
Mark_Reibman
Feb 9, 2004
Sean,

What I’m going to recommend is for you to buy a card reader for the storage media used in your camera for about $20 and use that for downloading your photos to your hardrive. Create a folder system for your images if you don’t have Photoshop Album or iPhoto or.. Don’t think about Photoshop Elements ’embracing’ your Camedia software. Just load the images to your hardrive and open them from within Elements.

I’ll tell you how to size your photos for emailing using Save for Web feature after I have my dinner.

Unless someone else decides to jump in here or use ‘help’

Recommended size of image file would be not much more than 100kb.
CF
Callum_Ferguson
Feb 9, 2004
Sean.

I also use an Oly a C700, and if you use XP and Win the camera gets detected automatically as a removeable drive in explorer via a USB, when you get the pics up just copy and paste them into a ready folder somewhere handy and open the pic/pics in PSE from there. It’s best to fiddle with a copy at this stage, go Image – resize – image size (with the resample box ticked) to 800/900 pixels and OK then go file – save for web use about quality 30 or so and then save it into a folder especially for E Mails this will give you a file size of about less than 100KB, adjust to suit.
In Outlook express its not necessary to attatch the pics you only need to select insert – picture and it will appear in the body of the msg. Takes a lot longer to say than do.
Regards
Malcolm
CF
Callum_Ferguson
Feb 9, 2004
Sean
I should have added Use JPG format for E Mails
Regards again
Malcolm
EW
Ed_Wurster
Feb 9, 2004
wrote:
Hello all. This is gonna be kind of long.

As the subject line indicates, I am a noob to digital photography, and to Elements. For Christmas, I received an Olympus C-740, and soon thereafter purchased Photoshop. The camera came with Camedia software, which allowed me to do little more than download images to my pc. No email support. Both photo programs were successfully installed (I think.)
deleted stuff from here
Sorry for the length, but at this point, I am highly frustrated, and am sick of poring over documentation! I want help from a human being. This CANNOT be as difficult as I am making it.

You don’t mention your operating system. Each operating system has compatible drivers which you may or may not need.

I had been using Fuji Finepix software before getting an Olympus. I tried the Camedia software, but there is little you need it for. I uninstalled all of it and still use Fuji to download and rename my camera files to something useful. If you have an older operating system, you need a driver to recognize the camera’s memory.

At this place in the road, I either go to my picture management software to email, or I go to APE2 for extensive editing.

Ed

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections