RA
Posted By
Rodrigo_Amestica
Sep 25, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have noticed some ugliness when working within photoshop (cs2). I have seen that depending on the selected zoom scale the images will look pretty jagged and an evident circular pattern (sort of a moire) will be visible; at least for this specific brick building I’m presenting as an example. In this link:

<http://www.photo.net/photos/ramestica>

I have attached two screen grabs, one grabbed from the ACR interface and the other from Photoshop itself. In ACR the Details settings were set to zero.

In both cases the zoom scale was set at 33.3%. ACR presents no artifacts, and photoshop presents a heck of a lot. By changing the zoom to, for example, 25% or 100% then the artifacts on the screen will go away, I mean, the artifacts are clearly not part of the image itself but they are, somehow, created by photoshop when displaying at certain zooming scales.

I work on a 19" crt monitor, set to 1280×960 pixels.

Is this a know issue?

thanks,
Rodrigo

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 26, 2006
What you are experiencing is not abnormal.

By changing the zoom to, for example, 25% or 100% then the artifacts on the screen will go away

Magnification of images at anything other than 100% is an approximation of the image. It has no effect on how it will look when printed or published. You are seeing the result of "approximations" until you zoom into 100%.

Peace,
Tony
RA
Rodrigo_Amestica
Sep 26, 2006
but why is that only photoshop shows the artifacts? ACR does not, and Capture NX does not as well; at the same zoom scale at which photoshop will show a lot of artifacts, and the same monitor of course.

I’m sure the artifacts are invented, they are not part of the image, therefore, printing the image will go just nicely. However, the whole experience of using photoshop gets really annoying when everything you see infront of you are jagged images.

Hmmm, it looks like no body else out there is really experiencing the same as me. Perhaps, I should think replacing my video card… That’s the last resort I can think of…

thanks,
Rodrigo
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 26, 2006
As Tony said:

What you are experiencing is not abnormal.
B
Bernie
Sep 26, 2006
it looks like no body else out there is really experiencing the same as me.

I experience it regularly. I know what causes it (see previous posts), I know it won’t affect the image, I can live with that.

(Besides, for most of the work I do I need to be at 100% magnification)
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 26, 2006
but why is that only photoshop

Tell me the mathematical formula that Photoshop uses to render images at less than 100%, and you will have your answer.

Did you notice that 25% mag doesn’t display the anomaly, and neither do multiples of that – however, odd magnifications do – like 33.3%.

Also, increasing the image cache in your preferences helps with rendering. If it’s at 4 bump it up to 6.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections