B
Posted By
BarryKMoritz
Sep 25, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My old system, under Windows XP Home, had no difficulty in displaying thumbnails of psd files from within the Windows Explorer.

My new system does not do this.

The old system used to run Photoshop CS2; the new system is running it. All else seems fine.

Can anybody explain why not?

Thanx to all…

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

C
chrisjbirchall
Sep 25, 2006
Can anybody explain

Because you still had psicon.dll on your system left over from PS7 or 6.

Do a forum search for psicon. You’ll find "War and Peace"!
AC
Art Campbell
Sep 25, 2006
The not-recommended-by-Adobe under any circumstances work-around is available at:

< http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2005/12/13/adobe-cs2-and-the- case-of-the-disappearing-thumbnails/>

If you do a search of older threads as Chris mentions, you’ll see that a number of people had trouble using this .dll and that it can corrupt some files. Others have been using it and the registry hacks without problems for months…. I’m one of the lucky ones, so far at least. ;- )

So I’d say try it out, but if you run into problems, remember how to back out.

Art
JF
Judit_Fabian
Jan 9, 2007
I checked out the above link and followed instructions, but my first problem was that I don’t have the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Shell directory
My second problem was that double-clicking either of the dll files did absolutely nothing. Can somebody elaborate more on what needs to be done, or have another solution?

Thanks
Judy
KV
Klaas Visser
Jan 10, 2007
You don’t double-click on DLL files. They are read by the application / operating system, when required. All you need to do is make sure that they are in the right place.
S
stevent
Jan 10, 2007
You are supposed to dbl-click the reg files, not the dll files.
AC
Art Campbell
Jan 10, 2007
Judy, the directions say:

# Run ‘aiicon.dll.reg’ by double clicking it.
# Run ‘psicon.dll.reg’ by double clicking it.

They don’t say to do anything to the .dll files themselves except to add them to the correct directory.

If you don’t have the correct directory, as you say in your message, it’s unlikely that you have Photoshop CS2, which is the other baaeline requirement for this fix. Again, this is in the directions / cover page for the download, which you may want to re-read.

Art

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections