Further symptoms in non-existent PS background (no one knew answer)

M
Posted By
myfathersson
Feb 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I refer to my question on why all I could see on opening PS is the ribbon bars at the top, the Windows desktop (or whatever else I have open underneath) all over the screen and the five panes at the sides. I can still open photos but can’t see them. (I know they have opened as they do appear on the layers part, the Navigator part and the History part on those panels on the right hand side of the screen.

(No one seeemed ever to have come across this symptom and resetting the colours/preferences didnt help)

I now discover that if I log on as another user, this doesn’t happen and PS opens and works normally. It only happens when I log on as administrator!

MFS

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MR
Mike Russell
Feb 5, 2004
My father’s son wrote:
I refer to my question on why all I could see on opening PS is the ribbon bars at the top, the Windows desktop (or whatever else I have open underneath) all over the screen and the five panes at the sides. I can still open photos but can’t see them. (I know they have opened as they do appear on the layers part, the Navigator part and the History part on those panels on the right hand side of the screen.
(No one seeemed ever to have come across this symptom and resetting the colours/preferences didnt help)

I now discover that if I log on as another user, this doesn’t happen and PS opens and works normally. It only happens when I log on as administrator!

More than likely your main window is positioned offscreen. Try resetting your preferences by depressing shift-ctrl-alt (Windows), shift-cmd-opt (Mac) during startup.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
M
myfathersson
Feb 6, 2004
"Mike Russell" wrote in message
I refer to my question on why all I could see on opening PS is the ribbon bars at the top, the Windows desktop (or whatever else I have open underneath) all over the screen and the five panes at the sides. Try depressing shift-ctrl-alt (Windows),

Hi Mike

No that didnt do it either. Is there no debug program for Photoshop?
R
Rick
Feb 6, 2004
"My father’s son" wrote in message
I refer to my question on why all I could see on opening PS is the ribbon bars at the top, the Windows desktop (or whatever else I have open underneath) all over the screen and the five panes at the sides. Try depressing shift-ctrl-alt (Windows),

Hi Mike

Assuming this is PS CS, search your hard drive(s) for a file called:

Adobe Photoshop CS Prefs.psp

Rename or delete it. Restart PS. If you have the same problem then try updating or reinstalling your video driver.

Rick
M
myfathersson
Feb 7, 2004
I found four of them (including two old PS6 ones) but deleting them didnt do much more than pressing control-alt-shift during start up and the problem is still there

"Rick" wrote in message
I refer to my question on why all I could see on opening PS is the ribbon bars at the top, the Windows desktop (or whatever else I have open underneath) all over the screen and the five panes at the
sides.
Try depressing shift-ctrl-alt (Windows),

Hi Mike

Rename or delete it. Restart PS. If you have the same problem then try updating or reinstalling your video driver.

Rick

MR
Mike Russell
Feb 7, 2004
Sounds like PS is confused about window locations. Did you have two displays on your system at some point in the past?

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net

My father’s son wrote:
I found four of them (including two old PS6 ones) but deleting them didnt do much more than pressing control-alt-shift during start up and the problem is still there

"Rick" wrote in message

Hi Mike

Rick
M
myfathersson
Feb 8, 2004
Not that I am an expert but I cant see this as being a windows location problem at all

Admitedly the window can’t be seen but that is surely because there is no background against which to put it. the photo opens on nothing, so it cant be seen.

Surely this is something to do with how the program opens rather than about where the window is when the program opens?

Even more surely, the developers know about this problem and have encountered it before OR should want to know about it if it might be a bug with the program? Is there no way of reporting it if no one on this public forum has encountered it or knows what might cure it?

Sounds like PS is confused about window locations. Did you have two displays on your system at some point in the past?

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net

My father’s son wrote:

"Rick" wrote in message

Hi Mike

Rick

M
myfathersson
Feb 8, 2004
In case anyone else gets this problem I have found that the problem seems to arise as a result of the whole desktop disapprearing under the menu bar

WHen I clicked on the line under that bar and dragged it down, the lower menu appeared under it

THEN when I did the same thing again, ie moved the line lower still, the grey desktop appeared under it
All I needed to do then was to drag it to the lower edge of the screen

"Brothers and SIsters have I none
But that man’s father is my father’s son"
MR
Mike Russell
Feb 8, 2004
My father’s son wrote:
In case anyone else gets this problem I have found that the problem seems to arise as a result of the whole desktop disapprearing under the menu bar

WHen I clicked on the line under that bar and dragged it down, the lower menu appeared under it

THEN when I did the same thing again, ie moved the line lower still, the grey desktop appeared under it
All I needed to do then was to drag it to the lower edge of the screen

Good job! Youre an ACE now 🙂

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections