DA
Posted By
david_a_paul
Feb 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
If the number of pixels in an image is the product of the horizontal and vertical pixels and is therefore the image size—-then why does the number at the bottom left of the main viewing screen that follows the "Doc:" not correlate with the image size as derived above?
David

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BB
brent_bertram
Feb 6, 2004
Image 2048 x 1536 x 3 bytes ( 1 each for Red, Green, Blue )=9,437,184 bytes. My Elements says Doc: 9M .

🙂

Brent
DA
david_a_paul
Feb 6, 2004
I have 9M too. Then this is not the file size in megabytes–it is different than the image data size? I find this very confusing.
Any comments to clarify this? When I browse for a image, the properties may say, for example, that the size is 1.22 MB. But then how does this correlate with the 9M that you have shown in your response? David
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 6, 2004
David, what format are you using to store your image? If it’s JPEG, it’s compressed and will be much smaller than what’s shown in Elements, which is the approximate size of an uncompressed PSD or TIF.
J
jhjl1
Feb 6, 2004
Sorry David, I hope I did not add to the confusion as I have mine set to show document dimensions usually.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
If the number of pixels in an image is the product of the horizontal
and vertical pixels and is therefore the image size—-then why does the number at the bottom left of the main viewing screen that follows the "Doc:" not correlate with the image size as derived above?
David
BB
brent_bertram
Feb 6, 2004
David,
The 9M of my response is the pixel size of my image. If I save that file as a flattened ( no layers ), uncompressed TIF format file, it will be 9MB on the disk, too. If I save the same image with layers intact, it might bloom to 18 MB on disk, but still be a 9M image once it’s in Elements because of the overhead of layers.

If I choose, I can save the image as a jpg file, slightly renamed in a number of compression ratios, all of which will yield a different file size . The hard drive file size of a flattened, uncompressed image is essentially the same as the pixel image size ( Vertical pixels X horizontal pixels X 3 ) .

🙂

Brent

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections