TK
Posted By
Tasha_Komery
Sep 7, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Ever since "upgrading" from my Mac G4 Desktop to my Macbook Pro Laptop, my Photoshop CS does not seem to want to display the same color saturation. When I create or enhance an image in Photoshop and let’s say put it into a webpage or into something like Powerpoint, the image which looked perfect in Photoshop now looks over-saturated on the web or in Powerpoint. I have calibrated my monitor and assigned the same profiles in Photoshop. Does anyone have any idea what’s wrong here? Please help!

Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
Sep 7, 2006
Tasha,

I have calibrated my monitor and assigned the same profiles in Photoshop.

Do I understand you to say that you are "assigning" your monitor profile to your images?

Please tell me I’m misconstruing your post.
TK
Tasha_Komery
Sep 7, 2006
Sorry Ramon, I’ll try to make some sense! I have tried 2 things:
1. Under the Photoshop Menu, I have selected Color Settings and set the RGB Working Space to "Cinema Calibrated", which is the same as what is in my System Preferences of my computer.
2. When I have an image open, I have tried to fix the problem by assigning a profile (image>mode>assign profile) and ensured that the Working RGB profile is set to the same "Cinema Calibrated".

But still it is either undersaturated in Photoshop or if I fix it in Photoshop to look right, it is oversaturated elsewhere (web or other programs). Any ideas?

Thanks.
R
Ram
Sep 7, 2006
Tasha,

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! That was what I was afraid of. 🙁

That workflow could not be more wrong even if you tried!

No wonder your images look like

You NEVER set your working space to your monitor profile or to any other device-dependent profile.

You NEVER assign your monitor profile or any other device-dependent profile to an image file.

Your monitor profile is just THAT. A profile you saved when you calibrated your monitor and nothing else. You set that as your monitor profile and forget about it, until it comes time to calibrate again. Calibrate often and regularly. Do NOT use your monitor profile for anything else, EVER.

Set your WORKING SPACE to a device-INDEPENDENT color space like Adobe RGB or sRGB. If you’re doing exclusively Web work, choose sRGB. If you do both printing and web, set your working space to Adobe RGB, and keep your copy of the file for printing in Adobe RGB (your working space) and CONVERT a copy of the file (do not "assign") to sRGB for your web work.

You need to learn about color management. This site will get you started:

<http://www.gballard.net/psd/cmstheory.html>
B
Buko
Sep 7, 2006
First. a laptop is not the best monitor for color critical work.

Second. do not use the calibration profile for another monitor on your laptop you need to calibrate the laptop with its own profile.

Third. do not use your monitor profile as your working space.

working space needs to be Adobe RGB, sRGB, ect…
TK
Tasha_Komery
Sep 7, 2006
Thanks everyone. This is how it was set up before, actually. The reason I started playing with it was because the color was all off. Now, I’ve set it to sRGB and it’s still off. In the "Working Spaces" dialogue in photoshop, it also asks for something for "Gray" and "Spot". What should that be? Does that matter?

Next question. Now I have set it to sRGB in the Working Space, under Color Settings in Photoshop. Under image>mode>assign profile, it now says, "Don’t Color Manage this Document". Is that correct? And should it say anything specific in the dialogue box under "Convert to Profile"? Or am I best to just leave that all alone?

Bottom line is that my image colors are all still off. What next?

Also, thanks for the link, Ramon, I’ll check that out, for sure. Would sure like to see a quick fix to this, though!

Thanks,
Tasha
R
Ram
Sep 7, 2006
Please read the link, Tasha. It will take us forever to answer the basic questions here. All the questions you have just asked are answered there.

Now the really bad news: you are going to have to redo those images. They’re beyond rescuing after you manipulated them.

Getting your act together will help you from now on, but it’s not going to fix your existing images. 🙁
TK
Tasha_Komery
Sep 7, 2006
Ok, will do. Thanks. No biggie on the other images, as I stopped doing this as soon as I realized it was a mess. Thanks again. I may be back!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 7, 2006
Click on this thumbnail to see a way to set your Color Settings in Photoshop:

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1xyeKxn9gEzKenTREh DvGWbHXhBwH1>

It is important to make sure that you are using the "Adobe ACE" engine and NOT the ColorSync one.
TK
Tasha_Komery
Sep 7, 2006
Hi Ann,

Thanks for the help. I checked and it is set at Adobe ACE, but I did notice that your RGB Working Space is Adobe RGB (1998). I now have mine set at: sRGB IEC61966-2.1

I mainly do web. Is that correct?

Thanks.
R
Ram
Sep 7, 2006
I mainly do web. Is that correct?

If you had said "I only do web," I would have said yes, that’s correct.

But if you also print, then you should do as I said above and set your working space to Adobe RGB.

sRGB is a much narrower color space, which is fine for web. But if you are set for sRGB, you lose colors that you’ll never recover when you go to print.

It’s all on that site.
TK
Tasha_Komery
Sep 7, 2006
perfect. Thanks again!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections