GF
Posted By
Ginni_Francis
Sep 7, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Thanks everyone …. I always unchecked it because I wasn’t sure – now I know a bit more about it.

Appreciate all the help.

Ginni

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

A
AlFerrari
Sep 7, 2006
Most printing houses just ignore your profile, but there are some who actually have their preferences set to automatically convert on opening, and they don’t even know it.

Peter,

In that example, what happens in the conversion if the incoming file has/has not an embedded profile?

Thanks,

Al Ferrari
A
AlFerrari
Sep 7, 2006
Sorry, duplicate post
R
Ram
Sep 7, 2006
Al,

The colors either go to hell, or you get lucky and either the software or the operator fortuitously assumes the right profile. The first scenario is more likely.

Personally, I never deal again with a moron who hands me an untagged file, i.e. a file without an embedded profile.
GF
Ginni_Francis
Sep 7, 2006
well, hmmm ….. I never thought of myself as a moron ….

just still learning my way around Photoshop – even after all the years of using it
R
Ram
Sep 7, 2006
You have never handed me an untagged file. 😀
R
Ram
Sep 7, 2006
Don’t take it personally; I just want the concept to sink in. 🙂
B
Buko
Sep 7, 2006
untagged file, otherwise known as Mystery Meat.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 7, 2006
" Mystery Meat" © Bruce Fraser … I think?!

Or was it MO?
B
Buko
Sep 7, 2006
I think MO
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 7, 2006
Bruce.

The real answer is that there is no guarantee that the profile is correct or not. Until Adobe eliminates and open ended architecture color managing tracking system – we’re pretty much screwed.

Embedding profiles in RGB documents is totally a good idea. CMYK documents are useless unless you are in need of cross rendering the image to an output that will blend the channels to preserve the color appearance. ie. an inkjet printer.

The problem with embedding profiles in images that resided in PDF’s is that they can be cross rendered depending upon the type of PDF that is being created and the RIP that will eat it.

The problem with NOT embedding profiles in images that resided in PDF’s is that they can be cross rendered depending upon the type of PDF that is being created and the RIP that will eat it.

Basically it’s a global mess that Adobe nor anyone else has been able to try and figure out and control.

There are areas of control, like little dictators of small third world countries, but not a global cohesive workflow that stops bombs from being thrown at each other.

Read Andrew Rodneys book for a taste of reality…

;o)

="http://67.115.154.61/pub/m.jpg">
GF
Ginni_Francis
Sep 7, 2006
Thanks for not calling me a moron …..

I’ll try and do some reading up on it in my spare (haha) time – in the end, even though I haven’t really used that feature, most all my printed pieces come out looking the way they’re supposed to, or the way I expect and hope they do – and I guess that’s the only thing that matters.

Appreciate the explanation.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections