JM
Posted By
Jessica_Messer
Feb 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi! I am very new to digital photography and editing and am in search of a book that describes the process, how to save photos (TIFF vs JPEG, etc.), and how to use Photoshop Elements 2.0 to make the best of my photos. I am doing this purely as a hobby (taking pictueres of my young children). I use a Macintosh w/ OS 10.3, if that makes a difference. Can anyone make a suggestion as to what book would help me the most?

Thank you!
Jess

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

GD
Grant_Dixon
Feb 5, 2004
Jessica

There are lots of beginner books out there but the one that I recommend is "50 FAST DIGITAL PHOTO TECHNIQUES" Written by: Gregory Georges Publisher: Hungry Minds, Inc. 292 Pages, 32-page color insert CD-ROM included ISBN: 0-7645-3578-1. This book is project oriented and with in a week of using this book you will be doing increasable things with elements. Gregory Georges has a web site with lots of previews of his book so take a walk over to it at http://www.reallyusefulpage.com/50techniques/index.shtml

Grant
BB
bob_bishop
Feb 5, 2004
Jessica, You might want to check a post regarding books on 2-2-04. Also, there is a brand new PSE 2 book I just received from Amazon. This might be the best yet. I have just about every PSE book ever written and there are some very good ones. What’s so great about this book? All of the images used in the tutorials are contained on a CD which accompanies the book. Most all topics are taught by a "she tells and you do" approach. After each of the 12 sessions there is a session review (test). There are well over 400 pages and the list price is $44.99 but Amazon has it for about $31 with free shipping. The title: Adobe Photoshop Elements 2 Complete Course by Jan Kabili, Published by Wiley in cooperation with Seybold (big name in graphics seminars) ISBN 0-7645-4093-9. Too bad the book took so long to hit the street. I will have a better idea after more time with the book, but my "take" at this time is very +++. Bob Bishop
MS
Mark_Sand
Feb 9, 2004
Jessica,
Another good PSE2 book (which I just finished) is "Adobe Photoshop Elements 2 Hand-On Training", by Shane Rebenschied and published by lynda.com/books | Peachpit Press. It has 12 chapters, each with example pictures (on CD) and step-by-step instructions. The CD also has 10 excellent movies (.mov) of additional PHE2 techniques. For the movies, I kept 2 windows open: one with the movie playing in QuickTime, the other with the corresponding picture opened in PSE2; as the movie played, I would pause it now and then and switch to PHE2 to perform the various techniques, and this was quite effective and lots of fun! Overall, a worthwhile starter book.

Mark

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections