GS
Posted By
garrett_smith
Sep 6, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been given a high-res picture 3600•2732 pixels that a client wants to use for the banner of their website. The banner needs to be resized to 780•120 pixels. What is the easiet way to accomplish this? They unfortunately want to keep as much of the original image as they can so maybe no cropping. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I cannot figure out how to successfully resize the image.

Thanks
Garrett

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 6, 2006
look into image size and canvas size
P
Phosphor
Sep 6, 2006
3600 × 2732 pixels = a 1.32-to-1 dimensional ratio.
780 × 120 pixels = a 6.5-to-1 dimensional ratio.

There is NO way the large version can be scaled to meet the small version requirements without some severe cropping, or severe distortion.

Pick one.

OR…are they asking the the image be resized so that it will fit one of the FULL banner’s dimension requirements? Surely, the full banner will contain more image info than just that image they want you to resize, right? Text data, background color, etc?

You need to get more info from the client, and/or provide more info to us, so that we may better assess your question and give a good answer.
GS
garrett_smith
Sep 6, 2006
It is really hard to crop the photo as they want to keep as much of it as possible. There will be a logo that will be put on the far left of the banner and it does not have a specific dimension requirment other than that it is just the photo.

This might better clear it up: They have given me a skyline image that includes a lot of sky on the top of the image (which can be cropped) and an expressway in the foreground that contains traffic trails (for which they want to save as much as possible) The logo is a simple vector illustration and there will be no text because the logo contains it all. Should I try and crop the picture at another dimensional ratio and go from there? What would be a good size to crop it to?

Thanks for the input so far.
P
Phosphor
Sep 6, 2006
I’m asking this with uncondescending sincerity:

Do you understand the mathematics of height:width ratios? It’s really pretty simple; The results of doing the math are dead hard and immutable.

Crop or distort. Those are the only two options.

If you do understand those dead-solid limitiations, you need to explain and discuss this with your client, and help them make a choice.

If I can help you explain it, please feel free to ask more questions.
GS
garrett_smith
Sep 6, 2006
Alright I figured it out I just had to crop it.

Thanks for everyones help…
P
Phosphor
Sep 6, 2006
"Alright I figured it out I just had to crop it."

D’OH! When all else fails, just chop the heck out of it, eh?

XD

Glad you got it sussed, but a bit disappointed you didn’t discuss your project and the solution you found a little more deeply.

So it goes…

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections