CS2 Opens Multiple AI files as Photoshop RAW?!?!?

S
Posted By
Silence04
Sep 5, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
anytime I select More than one Adobe Illustrator Documents to open (from the open dialog after doing a Spotlight Search) in Photoshop CS2 it tries to open them as Photoshop RAW documents…

when i proceed with opening them as Photoshop RAW documents they open up as if i just did a B&W Noise Filter (i.e. like a fuzzy/snow channel on TV)

this problem only occurs when i am opening "Multiple" adobe illustrator documents at once after doing a SpotLight Search within the Open Dialog. I have no problems opening Adobe Illustrator files individually from the spotlight search, only Multiple ones.

Also, i don’t seem to have any problems opening multiple AI docs directly from one folder, This only seems to be happening once i’ve done a SpotLight Search..

Can someone please test this out on theirs for me and tell me if it works or not?

Thanks!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 6, 2006
Try "Placing" your files in Photoshop — not "Opening" them.
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 6, 2006
One of the unfortunate events because Apple had to dumb down their file format, e.g. removing the resource fork so there was never a doubt as the the file type. Photoshop, Illustrator and/or the OS are getting confused about the file type.

alan
R
Ram
Sep 6, 2006
Can someone please test this out…?

Silence04,

I just had to try it, because it does sound most bizarre.

There is certainly going to be OS and Photoshop confusion if your files lack the appropriate extension at the end of their file names, but ACR actually trying to open any file without the corresponding camera model information is just weird.

The results of my test won’t apply to you, though, because I’m not running Tiger, and my version of Illustrator is rather old.

I do have Photoshop 9.0.1 (CS2) and the latest Bridge, 1.0.4.

I tried what you suggested, substituting first Command+F and then a Bridge search for the abominable Spotlight. The files open correctly and as expected in Illustrator 9.0.2, running in Classic under Panther 10.3.9.

It would be interesting if someone running 10.4.7 and the whole CS2 suite actually tries it and gets the same result you did.

This is a good one for the Apple discussion boards and the Adobe Camera Raw forum if anyone can replicate it.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 6, 2006
Spotlight is not "abominable" in any way Ramón.

I’ll grant you that it was slow in the original Tiger but, by about the second upgrade, that was fixed.

Spotlight is the Search engine in Tiger and is used regardless of whether you Cmd F; type a keyword in a Finder window’s Search box; or click on the Spotlight button on the menu bar.

The latter two options are the fastest.

Cmd F opens the more detailed "New Search" window that lets you set different criteria for your search so it obviously takes a little time to setup.

I don’t think that you can have tried doing a "Find" in a recent version of Tiger because it is instantaneous in 10.4.7 — and has actually been that way for a very long time now.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 6, 2006
Silence04:

Have you tried Control-clicking the files in Bridge and using Open With … (from the drop-down menu) to open it with the program of your choice?
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 6, 2006
I’m with you Ann. I love spotlight and I’m sure it will only get better. Yet another one of the reasons I use a mac.

I still say its a shame that mac has more or less been reduced to file extensions in order to exist with the dominant computer paradigms.

alan
R
Ram
Sep 6, 2006
Ann,

Well, I suppose even the Abominable Snow Man of the Himalayas is loved by some. (Family and friends, for instance.)

I have been helping an acquaintance with his setup (the person with the LaCie Electron Blue-II for whom I needed the PDF manual you kindly sent me) running 10.4.7 on a G5, and Spotlight failed to find some system and library files.

I just used the good old reliable EasyFind, which immediately found what we were looking for.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 6, 2006
Which particular System files were they? And were they "visible’ files?

If you type the name directly into a Finder window’s Search box (Cmd N), you can usually find System files (such as Extension files).

The Cmd N method is the one that I normally use because it’s the fastest — and it is still driven by Spotlight
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 6, 2006
LOL,

Some people are just likeable. Some aren’t. Even creeps like good people.

alan
R
Ram
Sep 6, 2006
Ann,

I didn’t keep a list of the files we were looking for, and my short-term memory is just shot non-existent since the onset of my medical problems in 2003. I’ll remember things I did five, fifty or sixty years ago, but can’t keep a phone number in my head for twenty seconds. I’m sure they were color or ColorSync related stuff.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 6, 2006
I just tested this:

If I type ".icm" in the Search box of a Finder window (Cmd N), all ColorSync files are listed.

If I type ".icm" in the Spotlight box (by clicking the blue menu-bar icon), NO ColorSync files are listed.

If I type ".icm" in the Search box of a Search window (Cmd F), all ColorSync files are listed — provided that one of my selected criteria is "Kind" and "Any".
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 6, 2006
Hi Ann,

I think it has something to do with location because I did the same test and one file with the .icm extension was found–a file that had been copied to a user (non system/library) folder.

But then when I search in the blue I noticed that all the .icm files were listed for a quarter of a second or less then the one .icm file listed has a heading to the left "top hit" and above "list all 55". I suppose when there are more than a certain amount of search results it does this? When I click on that I get a secondary dialogue that has all the .icm files.

alan
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 6, 2006
That is exactly how it works Alan: you click the List All link to see the rest of the files.

And you can navigate to any point in the file’s path by clicking the folder you want in the line-up at the bottom of the window.
R
Ram
Sep 6, 2006
Ann,

If I type ".icm" in the Spotlight box (by clicking the blue menu-bar icon), NO ColorSync files are listed.

Good example.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 6, 2006
Now try it in a Finder Window Search Box …

All Finds/Searches are apparently driven by the same Spotlight engine but the results do differ — depending on which Search method you use.

(And most times I just use Cmd N.)
R
Ram
Sep 6, 2006
All Finds/Searches are apparently driven by the same Spotlight engine but the results do differ

Well, it may just be a matter of semantics, but one could say that the OS has a single search engine, which Spotlight under-utilizes and Command+F uses properly. It sill leaves Spotlight in a poor light. :/

Nevertheless, EasyFind works most efficiently, even in 10.4.7 —as well as in Panther.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 6, 2006
I think that the blue menu-bar Spotlight button probably just accesses a "Quick-‘nd-Dirty" palette for a dumbed-down version of the Search engine.

I tend to stick with Cmd N anyway — although i have just downloaded "EasyFind" (of which i had previously been unaware) and find it to be very efficient.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections