J
Posted By
Jim-Clark
Sep 20, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have recently had a few images rejected from a stock photo house for having artifacts. Their exact words were:

"Unfortunately this image contains undue artifacts when viewed at full size. Artifacts are most commonly caused by over-compression but may be a result of other factors. Be sure your camera is at its highest quality setting and remember to also save your JPEGs at the highest possible quality (level 12)."

The images I submitted were shot in RAW, opened in Photoshop CS2, very slightly adjusted, and then saved as JPG (the only format they will accept) at the highest quality settings. When I view the saved JPG at 100% in Photoshop I don’t find these artifacts they mention, but there must be something going on since three images were rejected for this same reason.

Interestingly, images that were accepted were shot as JPG and submitted without passing through Photoshop first. I am always careful not to open a JPG and then resave it as JPG for fear of over-compressing, but the images that were rejected started as RAW and only compressed to JPG one time.

Does anyone have a suggestion that might explain what is happening?? Any other factors I should be looking out for that might cause the artifacts they noticed??

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 20, 2006
Would it be possible for you to get screen captures of what they see?
J
Jim-Clark
Sep 20, 2006
I can try. I’ve never tried to add a screen capture to these pages so I’ll see what happens.

Is it adequate to just open the image in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer to get the screen capture??
CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 20, 2006
Post on <http://www.pixentral.com>

But the point was more for THEM to show YOU what they consider unnacceptable
J
Jim-Clark
Sep 20, 2006
Oh, Sorry. I misunderstood your post. I thought you wanted a look at what they rejected.

I understand your point and yes, I am attempting that now. Trying to get to talk about this with someone is proving a challenge. I was just looking for some opinions from others who might have some experience with a similar problem or perhaps suggest where I might be going wrong.
CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 20, 2006
I thought you wanted a look at what they rejected.

Well, I always like to look at nice photos <G>, but in this case, I don’t think it will accomplish much.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections