"Could not complete your request due to a program error"

Posted By
*Seamus*
Sep 4, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This is killing me, my photoshop is completely useless.

I’m currently running 10.4.7, PS 9.0.1, on a MacBookPro. This issue is not to do with Intels as my collegue has the same issue on his G5…..

I can’t open any or create new documents in Photoshop. This is what I’ve tried;

I deleted the preference files using the Cmd+Opt+Shift
I manually deleted the prefs from my Library folder

After that, I got extreme;
Deleted anything that said Adobe in the file name.
Reinstalled CS2, still didnt work.
Deleted everything again.
Archived and installed 10.4.6, reinstalled CS2
Still didnt work

I installed Photoshop CS1, and I get the same problem.

As far as I can work out, there must be invisible adeobe files on my user that are corrupt, as it works fine on another user. Any suggestions

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 4, 2006
If it works in a New User, there has to be corruption in your normal account.

Possible trouble-makers could be bad fonts; outdated and corrupt ColorSync profiles; and corrupt Caches. (The fact that your co-worker has a similar problem might indicate that a font is to blame if you use the same fonts.)

Try making a copy of your your entire Preferences Folder on your Desktop (for back-up) and then trashing the contents of the Prefs folder in your Users Library.
Then reboot.
You can then gradually add back vital Prefs that you find you need (like the Mail and Safari ones) while allowing the others to be regenerated.

The one thing that I notice that you have not mentioned is "Repairing Permissions".

Did you remember to do that both before AND after installing each of those new software items?

More things to try:
Run Disk Warrior and also download the 10.4.7 Combo from Apple to your Desktop and install it over the top of your current System.
*Seamus*
Sep 4, 2006
Thanks Ann, repaired the permissions, and trashed the prefs and it seemed to work. I tried the same thing though on my collegues machine, but its still not working, any other suggestions?
R
Ram
Sep 4, 2006
Seamus,

Repairing Permissions after the fact seldom works. You were lucky.

Please see next post.
R
Ram
Sep 4, 2006
I still advocate Repairing Permissions before AND after any system update or upgrade, as well as before AND after installing any software that requires an installer that asks for your password.

I have seen software installations go sour because the installer did not find everything as and where it should be.

I have also seen software installations go bad because the installer did not clean up after itself properly and did not leave everything as and where it should be.

This is just my own personal opinion and practice based on my own observations. Others may disagree and that’s OK. I can only base my routines and my advice to others on my own experience and conclusion. I don’t pretend to know why others believe otherwise.

Repairing Permissions after the fact (i. e. not immediately before and after an install) may NOT help.

====

Additionally, if your machine does not run 24/7 so that it runs the daily, weekly and monthly Cron Scripts in the middle of the night as intended by Apple, run Cocktail (shareware) as well.

Cron Scripts are maintenance routines designed by Apple to run on a daily, weekly and monthly basis in the middle of the night.

If you don’t run them, you WILL run into trouble, sooner rather than later.

Here’s an excerpt from the Apple tech doc <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107388>

Mac OS X performs background maintenance tasks at certain times if the computer is not in sleep mode. If your computer is shut down or in sleep at the designated times, the maintenance does not occur. In that case, you may want or need to run these manually.
Mac OS X periodically runs background tasks that, in part, remove system files that are no longer needed. This includes purging older information from log files or deleting certain temporary items. These tasks do not run if the computer is shut down or in sleep mode. If the tasks do not run, it is possible that certain log files (such as system.log) may become very large.
Also, from: <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106978>

The disk activity generated by find is a normal part of file system maintenance, used for tasks such as removing invisible temporary files that are used by the system. It is scheduled to occur early in the morning at 03:15 everyday, 04:30 on Saturdays, and 05:30 on the first day of each month.
*Seamus*
Sep 4, 2006
After having a mess around on my collegues machine we got it working. It wasn’t the permissions, it was something in the Prefs folder. After following Ann’s instructions, it worked fine. Two computers fixed in one day equals happy times for everybody 🙂
JC
james_culp
Sep 6, 2006
This alert started Friday. Before Friday I have had no trouble. Now any image I try to open, gives me this response.

"could not complete your request because of a disk error"

In trying to fix this I have,

Solution 1: Install the most recent Mac OS update.

Contact Apple for more information or visit the Apple website at www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosxupdate1041.html .

Solution 2: Re-create your preferences files.

1. Hold Command+Option+Shift when you start Photoshop.

2. Click Yes to the message, "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"

Solution 3: Disconnect your Internet connection.

To disconnect your Internet connection, do one of the following:

— If you are connected to the Internet via a telephone modem, disconnect from the modem.

— If you are connected to the Internet via cable modem or DSL, disconnect the ethernet cable from your computer.

Solution 4: Use a disk repair utility.

Restart your Mac in Single User mode and run fsck -fy . For more information about the fsck command, please visit the Apple website at <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214> . WHEN READING THIS ARTICAL IT SAID THIS WAS UNADVISED IF USING A G-5

Solution 5: Ensure that all of your drivers are compatible with Mac OS X v10.4.

Determine if your printer and video card (and any other peripherals you might have) are compatible with Mac OS X v10.4. Visit the manufacturers’ websites to update the drivers.

Solution 6: Re-create your printers in Mac OS X.

To re-create your printers, first delete them and then add them again.

To delete your printers:

1. Open System Preferences from the Apple menu.

2. Select Print & Fax, and click Printing.

3. Select each printer in the list and click the delete key (the minus key).

For instructions on how to add your printers again, see "Setting up to print to a printer" in Mac Help or search Help using the phrase "add a printer."

Solution 7: Restart in Safe Boot mode, start Photoshop, and then restart in normal mode.

1. Restart the Macintosh and hold down the Shift key immediately after you hear the chimes. THIS DOES ALLOW MW TO USE PHOTOSHOP !

2. Release the Shift key when the Apple logo appears. When the Macintosh is in Safe Boot mode, the words Safe Boot appear on the logo.

3. Start Photoshop, then quit Photoshop.

4. Restart your computer in normal mode.

#8 Ran disk utility

#9 Ran DiskWarrior

#10 Copied Preferences folder to desktop and trashed preferences folder in my library

# 11 Uninstalled/Reinstalled

#12 installed Combo OSX 10.4.7

#13 this is the point where it starts getting really agravating I have 3 full days into this and I appreciate all of the fixes listed above but none of them are working for me. I have tried everything in multiple combinations and still

COULD NOT COMPLETE YOUR REQUEST BECAUSE OF PROGRAM ERROR
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 6, 2006
Bad interior connections (reseat cables, RAM and cards)? Bad or Mismatched RAM?
Working across a Network?
Bad Fonts?
Bad ColorSync Profiles?
Insufficient space on your HDs?

or just … give up and buy a new computer?!

8)
JL
james_l_culp
Sep 6, 2006
I have unconnected and reconnected all of my conections

my ram is matched

not working across network

threw away all fonts but arial and helvetica

threw away all color sync profiles

I have over 20% open on all hardrives

I can’t afford to buy a new computer.

if it works when i restart with the shift key down and doesn’t work when I just restart it … what does that mean?

And this alert is saying ‘could not complete your request because of PROGRAM ERROR’ doesn’t that suggest softwear program not hardwear?

I can open in bridge ( just to browse ) and open in Illustrator. But for some reason my photoshop CS2 program is broken and will not open anything.

After 3 days of trying and testing everything i could imagine or any body elses could imagine, i got no program.

if I had hair when I started it would be out by now.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 6, 2006
if it works when i restart with the shift key down and doesn’t work when I just restart it … what does that mean?

See what there is in your HD/Library/StartupItems/ and your SystemLibrary/Startupitems/.

You may have something corrupt in there like an out-of-date tablet Driver?

Try putting copies of those folders on your Desktop (for Back-up) and selectively removing some of the items from the original folders.
JL
james_l_culp
Sep 6, 2006
moved start up copies to desktop and trashed library folder turned off anything that was an option in the start up menu

still getting this program error alert and photoshop is useless on my G-5.

In the old days when I was holding down my shift key and starting (9500 power mac) i was turning off the extentions, i believe. Is that still true? What is happening when I do this? Becuse I don’t get the alert when I start up with the shift key down.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 6, 2006
You are starting-up in "Safe" mode which means that Only the most basic system files are loading.

It sounds to me as if you have major corruption in your System or in your User’s Account.

Put your saved Start-up items back and try creating a New User Account for yourself (with Admin privileges).

Then reboot and login to that new account and see if that works.
JL
james_l_culp
Sep 6, 2006
Ok something has changed… Now i can’t open an image starting with the shift key down.

I created a new account and photoshop will not open an image in the new account either.

Same old alert I have been looking at since friday

"Could not complete your request due to a program error"

this just started out of no where
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 6, 2006
I’m afraid that it looks like "Run DiskWarrior" and "Clean Install" time — of both 10.4.7 and CS2.
JL
james_l_culp
Sep 7, 2006
I just ran a terminal task and it gave me this report

/usr/sbin/periodic: line 1: /var/log/daily.out: No such file or directory /usr/sbin/periodic: line 106: 271 Broken pipe date
cat: /tmp/periodic.omPyz8vQJo: Bad file descriptor
cat: /tmp/periodic.omPyz8vQJo: Bad file descriptor
localhost:~ jamesculp$ sudo periodic daily
/usr/sbin/periodic: line 1: /var/log/daily.out: No such file or directory /usr/sbin/periodic: line 106: 313 Broken pipe date
cat: /tmp/periodic.jWofOFyBDG: Bad file descriptor
cat: /tmp/periodic.jWofOFyBDG: Bad file descriptor

will disk warrior fix a ‘Broken Pipe" and bad file descriptor?

Clean install is the absolute last thing I want to have to do.Archive and install would be the second to last.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 7, 2006
I am frankly out of my depth in the Terminal.

But I would guess that means damaged info in Logs and Caches and Cocktail can certainly fix some of that.

Try running Cocktail and then run DiskWarrior and Replace the Directory; then repeat. if necessary. until it produces a clean Graph.

If you still have problems:
Trash all Photoshop Prefs and trash Photoshop.

Boot from the Tiger DVD and run Disk Utility/Repair Disk

Then do an Archive & Install of Tiger followed by running the Apple 10.4.7 Combo from your Desktop. (Do NOT uses Software Update!).

Then Reboot and Repair Permissions.
Re-intall CS2 and Repair Permissions AGAIN.

Good Luck ………
B
Buko
Sep 7, 2006
Does it work in a new user?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 7, 2006
He tried — and it didn’t.
🙁
JL
james_l_culp
Sep 7, 2006
I did an archive & install then a combo update. reloaded photoshop and opened an image. In just under 2 hr.s I fixed this G*# D#@m thing. I wonder when one of you smarter folks would have gotten to this point, before 1 hr? 1 day? hopefully not 3 days.

I still don’t know why this happened, wish i did so as maybe i could keep it from happening again.

Thank you so much for all your help Ann.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 7, 2006
I am so glad that you finally managed to fix your machine!

Who knows what caused the trouble — perhaps a power surge or spike?

Do you use a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply)?

I swear by them and think that they are worth their weight in gold.
B
Buko
Sep 7, 2006
If things don’t work in a new user Archive and install of the system is the next thing I advise.
*Seamus*
Sep 19, 2006
OK,

I’ve been having this problem for a while on and off.

Usually, I delete my whole Preference folder and it works again, but thats a bit painful. After a long attempt today, it seems that if I delete just the "com.apple.print.favourites.plist" file in my user folder, everything comes back to life!!

I have no idea why this is causing the problem, but my friend who was having the same issue, just tried deleting the same file, and hey presto, he was back running again.

Please let me know if it works for you too.

OS 10.4.7, PS 9.0.1

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections