Batching RAW Conversions with Multiple Sub-Folders (OSX, CS2, ACR 3.4)

MM
Posted By
Matt_Mueller
Sep 4, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I have hundreds of Canon "CR2" files in a folder and many sub-folders. Each "CR2" file has a corresponding "xmp" file in the same folder.

I would like to Batch Process these conversions (From "CR2" to "JPG") by firing off one "File->Automate->Batch" (in Photoshop) command or one "Tools->Photoshop->Image Processor" (in Bridge) command.

The workflow is pretty simple, each file gets opened in ACR (the "xmp" file will request an "8-bit" conversion, color-temperture, tint, cropping, etc). Next, I run a JavaScript that puts some camera information on the image, then a Save with JPG quality=12.

On a single directory, this works perfectly.

I have a directory structure like this (only with hundreds of files and folders):

/images/CRW_0001.CR2
/images/CRW_0001.xmp
/images/CRW_0002.CR2
/images/CRW_0002.xmp
/images/One/CRW_0001.CR2
/images/One/CRW_0001.xmp
/images/One/CRW_0002.CR2
/images/One/CRW_0002.xmp
/images/Two/CRW_0001.CR2
/images/Two/CRW_0001.xmp
/images/Two/CRW_0002.CR2
/images/Two/CRW_0002.xmp

The problem with clicking the "Include All Subfolders" checkbox in "File->Automate->Batch" dialog box is that *ALL* convereted files end up in the top-level folder, and not in the sub-folder they came from (basically, "CRW_0001.jpg" and "CRW_0002.jpg" from folder "Two" overwrite those files in the "images" directory).

I tried using "Tools->Photoshop->Image Processor" in Bridge (including Russell Brown’s version), but this one creates a "jpg" directory, will not convert ones in the sub-folders, and (worst of all) get errors that the "Script" action is "not available".

So, my question is: is there a way to batch convert hundreds of RAW images into "JPGs" (or whatever) running a script (as an action) and have all the images wind up in the folder (or subfolder) from which they came?

Thanks,

Matt

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JS
Jeff_Schewe
Sep 4, 2006
You can’t keep the original structure in a Batch…try XBatch <http://www.outbackphoto.com/workflow/wf_a104/essay.html>
MM
Matt_Mueller
Sep 7, 2006
Thanks for passing along XBatch.

Before I could try it out, a guy at work suggested switching the "Destination" to "Save and Close" (in the File->Automation-Batch dialog box) and that worked.

-Matt

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections