Posted By
greg_wallis
Feb 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

GW
greg_wallis
Feb 3, 2004
sorry to post this here but dont know where to get an honest answer.

I want to register a domain name….why does registration vary between 10 and 200 US dollars…..are the cheap companies bodgy?

As i live in australia do i need a com.au address or will .com suffice

cheers

greg
DS
Dick_Smith
Feb 3, 2004
Greg,

I don’t know about the .au thing, but I have my domain registered through godaddy.com. They have been very good and inexpensive.

Dick
GD
Grant_Dixon
Feb 3, 2004
Greg

There are probably two reasons why the difference in prices. One is of course competition. The other is that there are more than one forms of repositories for the domain name. For example in Canada I have the choice of commercial or institutional name, then national or international, finally province or national. While all names are unique the pricing scale is not. If you have a business and want to appear less than local you would have to pay more for "mybusiness.com" as compared to "mybusiness.on.ca".

Grant
B
bethC
Feb 3, 2004
The cost of registering a domain name varies with the service you use to do the registration. Currently, registration runs from about $10.00 to $35.00 US dollars per year, depending on the registration service.

Here is a list of some domain name registration services: Network Solutions
Register.com
Register 4 Less
RegiSTAR.com
Godaddy.com

You don’t have to have a .au – this lets everyone know that your website is in Australia the same as .ca tells everyone that the website is in Canada.

You need to look at the registration service and see what it offers for the price. Read all the fine print before you decide.

beth
PL
Paul_L_UK
Feb 3, 2004
Greg

Got my domain through a UK domaoin name provider. The initial cost was approx GB £50 for two years, with an re-register of £10 every 2 years. All I use it for at the moment is for mail forwarding, I can keep the e-mail address.
Further costs are incurred for web space hosting etc etc. It all depends on what you need and want to pay.
My domain host is

Found the link bellow that looks similar to my domain host.

<http://www.domain.netregistry.com.au/>

Hope that helps

Paul
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 3, 2004
Hi Greg, I am right in the middle of this myself. I registered www.jcarter.net and www.jcarter.us last year. You can have .net or .com anywhere on earth, but I think that the .us is for USA people only and your .au would be for you in Australia only.
As for pricing, it varies greatly with who you choose to register with, I think. My .us one was $49.00 a year, and the .net one was far cheaper. I am going to keep the .net one and let the .us one run out.

Then the next step is to choose a web host. Which I have done, but not actually signed up yet. I chose a very beginner-friendly one with phone tech support.

The people on this forum don’t mind helping us out with OT subjects. There are always people here who are wondering the same questions, and so they are not helping just one person, but many.
I have learned a lot of things here beside PSE.
Jane
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 3, 2004
Now all I need is a web page! pbase has been a godsend, but its time for a real site. Jane
EW
Ed_Wurster
Feb 3, 2004
wrote:
I want to register a domain name….why does registration vary between 10 and 200 US dollars…..are the cheap companies bodgy?
cheers

greg
EW
Ed_Wurster
Feb 3, 2004
wrote:
cheers

greg

Sorry about the empty reply.

You can get by with just .com. Anything else you get beyond that may help. For instance, .au may be something your friends or customers want to see.

You shouldn’t be paying more than $10 per year for a domain name. I use godaddy.com. There are many others. A word of caution, don’t let the potential web host register your domain. When you register a name (like right now I suggest) you can park it for free.

Web hosting for your purposes should be less than $100 per year. I use page-zone.com.

There are many other reputable companies. I just happen to be using this combination.

Ed
DM
Dave McElderry
Feb 3, 2004
Ed, regarding your statements:

"A word of caution, don’t let the potential web host register your domain. When you register a name (like right now I suggest) you can park it for free."

Can you elaborate on these comments? I don’t understand what difference it makes if the web host registers your domain, or what difference it makes who registers it, so long as it gets done.

Can you also explain what you mean by "park it" for free? Thanks.
G
garyheaton
Feb 3, 2004
I have heard complaints from some people that the companies they register their domain names though as well as host with from the start up, do not release the domain redirect information to a different company for up to 21 days from the day you request it done.
So if for instance you sign up with a hosting site, and have them register your name as well. Then decide after say 30 days that they are lousy web hosts, so you decide to change your web hosting site.
You then get a new hosting site, and you have to have your domain ID number "redirected" to that new hosting site. If they are nasty about you leaving, and they control the Actual Controls that change your web domain address, they can dork you around for a couple of weeks before the new host can change you over.
I used twocows.com to register my domain with years ago, they were competitive in price, and I renew now every 3 to 5 years..depending on the going rates at the time, for about $15 a year. But for that $15, I can also "park my domain there", if I am not hosting a site else where, (and use their email servers to forward my email to me if I change web hosts, and not lose any email in the transition.)
I also maintain total control over my domain steering functions, and I simply do not allow ANY web host the control over this function. It IS easier to allow them to do all the work of assigning the address for you, to redirect your web traffic to your new site with THEM, etc..but if you have a dispute with them, they can NOT tie up your "redirect function" if you control it yourself.
Bottom line, there are a great number of reliable web hosts around these days that allow you up to 30 days of free service, or offer a total money back guarantee if you are not satisfied with their service in the first 30 days. (Some try to charge you a "set up fee" that is usually NOT refundable if you dont like their service after the first 30 days is up. I would pass on those.) There are to many around today that will set up everything you need for no charge, and only charge you the fixed monthly hosting fee.
You will run into a question of TRAFFIC to your site as well, how much bandwidth you will NEED for all the viewers downloading images or information from your site. My advice is to start out small, (the over use charges are usually pretty small,) and MOST never use more than the base amount of allotted traffic anyway.
Plus, if you dont mind putting up with pop up ads, there are many TOTALLY FREE web hosts around today as well. I dont like pop up ads, so I pay for my web site space just for that reason alone. Plus I find a web host you pay for to be more reliable with keeping your site up and running, and if you run a business on line, that is usually your #1 concern.
As others have suggested, shop around. I would not pay more than $20 US to register a domain name these days. Godaddy is a highly recommended listing service, and one recommended by TechTV as well. They are usually a good source of information in this kind of matter too. This is a link to their How To section, from there you can find about anything you need to know on their site. Just use their search engine, it is a very useful web site for many things.
<http://www.techtv.com/products/index.html/>
There are also web sites on the net that RATE web hosting companies, you may wish to check into those as well. I know this is more information than you requested, but I thought some others might benefit from some of the other information as well.
Good luck,<smile>
Gary~*
EW
Ed_Wurster
Feb 3, 2004
"Dave McElderry" wrote in message
Ed, regarding your statements:

"A word of caution, don’t let the potential web host register your domain.
When you register a name (like right now I suggest) you can park it for free."
Can you elaborate on these comments? I don’t understand what difference it
makes if the web host registers your domain, or what difference it makes who registers it, so long as it gets done.
Can you also explain what you mean by "park it" for free? Thanks.

Gary did a good job of explaining your questions.

If your decision for web hosting does not work out, you can switch the DNS very easily through the domain registrar.

Ed
DM
Dave McElderry
Feb 3, 2004
Gary and Ed,

Thanks for your posts. This is one of those things that wouldn’t be immediately obvious if a person had not had the experience. I appreciate your wisdom, which gives me all of the advantages without having to experience the headaches.
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 3, 2004
And a hearty thank you from me!!!
This is very valuable information. I just looked over what the Mac web host that I have chosen offers, and they are tops.
I didn’t use Tucows when I purchased either of mine, but when I plug mine into WHOIS, it shows Tucows, so unwittingly, I must have done that part correctly.
Keep the suggestions coming, and thanks again,
Jane
GW
greg_wallis
Feb 4, 2004
many thanks to everyone who contributed ideas and advice……….a great help amongst the info overload on the net.For the time being i have registered gregwallis.com with godaddy; but have parked it there until i get things under construction.
Glad to see that it wasn´t just me that benefitted from all the advice cheers
greg
EW
Ed_Wurster
Feb 4, 2004
wrote:
many thanks to everyone who contributed ideas and advice……….a great help amongst the info overload on the net.For the time being i have registered gregwallis.com with godaddy; but have parked it there until i get things under construction. Glad to see that it wasn´t just me that benefitted from all the advice
cheers
greg

What will be on the site?

Who will use the site?

How does the web host provide support?

If you go through a few scenarios of what can go wrong, you’ll ask the right questions.

Ed
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 4, 2004
The web host I found is Mac friendly and very beginner-friendly. I have already called them up and they have explained stuff to me.
After reading what you all have posted here, I think I am ready to go ahead with it. I do see that there is a discount if I belong to a Mac users group, too.
Adobe’s GoLive 6 is what I have bought to do my site with, now I just have to figure out how to use it.
Jane
LM
Lou_M
Feb 5, 2004
I have already called them up and they have explained stuff to me.

What?! A human being? You talked to customer support and got a human being? Hurray for you, Jane!

That is so rare these days. In fact, I talked to someone today at the Help Desk at a company I’m working with, and I swear this guy had a such a perfectly modulated voice I paused several times to think about whether I was talking to a machine or a human. I ended up deciding he was either human or the latest technology from the Department of Homeland Security.
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 5, 2004
Hi Lou, That is like trying to reach a phone company if the bill is messed up. You have to tell them that you are looking to open a new account to get a human. Sales, will always get a human, then you can transfer to customer support, it you are lucky.

I now am 100% decided that this will be my web host. If I can get GoLive into my brain, I worked with it all day long, and I am ready to go right back to HTML. GoLive is a great program, but the learning curve is a bit steep at the moment for me.
Tomorrow is another day,,,,,,,
Jane
MM
Mac_McDougald
Feb 5, 2004
My webhoster has 24/7 phone support.

1GB storage, unlimited monthly tranfer, beau coup email options, anon FTP, loads of other bells and whistles.

$14/mo if pay for a year.

Just to give you an idea of what’s to be had out there.

Mac
DS
Dick_Smith
Feb 5, 2004
Jane,

If you have access to a copy of Adobe GoLive6.0 Classroom in a Book it’s a great place to start. I followed the first few lessons in it and then took of on my own.

I believe you will like it, it does the job for me.

Dick
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 5, 2004
Hi Dick, Yes, I do have GoLive 6 classroom in a book! I have been struggling all morning trying to figure out how to get the Site window back, once I closed the Site and Document windows, I cant figure out how to get them open again. I didn’t think I was ready for the book yet, as I was having trouble with the basic books. But I am going to put the CD in right now and figure out why I cant get these windows back once I have the site started.
Sometimes I just have to leave a program alone for a day, then when I go back, I can figure it out. My brain isn’t that young any more,,,,,,,
Thanks, Jane
DS
Dick_Smith
Feb 5, 2004
Jane,
If you created a "site" the link to it will be inside a folder by the same name.

Also the site itself will be named "websitename.site" when you click on that the entire site should open.
DS
Dick_Smith
Feb 5, 2004
Also, look at Open Recent files under the File menu. It should be there.
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 5, 2004
Hi Dick, Thank you! I just thought that I could open them like you can in PSE. I kept looking in the menus for them. It took me a while to get PSE, so it will take me a while with GoLive, but I sure am looking forward to it.
I will have some rather basic questions, and will pay attention to the CIB CD very carefully. I need a website!
Jane

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections