SD
Posted By
Shrilly_Drabble
Feb 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I wonder if anyone can help me identify the keys needed to hide elements on my iMac.

So if anyone out there knows which one to use with the apple and H then I would appreciate it. I can only describe it as looking like an arrow without the shaft but isn’t the shift key. I have looked all over my keyboard and tried various combinations.
Strange request I know but it has been driving me crazy for many months. TIA
Shrilly

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 3, 2004
Hi Shrilly, I just got a book, "Photoshop’s Power Shortcuts" and it a bit overwhelming to me, as it is about 180 pages of shortcuts!
The first one that uses HIDE is hit the Tab key alone. That takes away all the palettes, shift + tab takes away all but the tool palette. Leaves just the picture that you are working on. On my Mac, the upper right menu lets you Hide any program you have open, too.

Then there is a chapter on hiding other things too, rulers, slices, paths, extras, guides, and more.
I think that Tab is the one you want, but I can take a screen shot of some of the pages and instructions if you want.
I am glad you brought this up, as this is an interesting book. I am a beginner so don’t use the book now very much, but I was able to buy it second hand for $3.00. I hope someday I will appreciate it, as I advance. For some of the shortcuts, you would have to have toes available as well as fingers, or at least let the cat walk across your keyboard.
Jane
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Feb 3, 2004
It’s the option key, Shrilly.
MR
Mark_Reibman
Feb 3, 2004
It’s the option key, Shrilly.

No, that’s not it. This is puzzling. I have no idea what that symbol represents.

Just tried the combo of command + control + H and that hides Elements.
CS
carl_sutherland
Feb 3, 2004
Shrilly, Jane, Barbara, and Mark

Boy am I confused. Could my Powerbook have a different keyboard? I do not know or recognize an "upper right menu". Jane, is that a key? My "Tab" key clears PSE 2 from the screen as Jane describes. Barbara can not be wrong-there is some sort of law against that! My option key doesn’t do anything I can recognize. Mark can not be puzzled-there is some law about that also I think! Command-control-h also hides elements for me. I guess I’m thinking about Expose in which I believe there is a difference in keyboards between desk tops and Powerbooks although I haven’t got it straight yet. Maybe the same here?

Powerbook G4 17 inch with OS X 10.3.2 and 1000+ RAM.

Carl
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Feb 3, 2004
Mark, you’re right. It is the control key. That’s what I get for posting before I’ve finished my coffee.

Carl–tab just hides the program stuff but not your document. If you want to hide the photo you are working on as well as the palettes, that’s what command+control+H is for.

You can actually adjust this in panther if you don’t like it by defining your own keystrokes for things like that.
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 3, 2004
Hi Shrilly, I use Tab too, when I need to get all the PSE stuff out of the way. Whoops, command_control_H wont work on my computer, just tried it. I will have to continue with Tab. Or Hide.

But the Mac OS 9 gives us the option of hiding any program we have running, or all of them. I actually meant that up on the top of the menu bar, the far right one where it shows the program that is active, under that menu, say for example Netscape is running, you can Hide Netscape.
Any of the other programs running, you can Hide or Show whichever ones you want, or Hide All. Or you can use Windowshade. I’ve seen my friends who have OS X use Expose, that’s nice, it is in the newer versions of X. So many goodies!
Jane
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 3, 2004
Carl, you’ll have trouble reconciling shortcuts and locations that Jane might describe because you’re each using a different Mac operating system. Where she uses a menu in the top right for hiding programs, you’d access that feature under the second menu item from the left. 🙂
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 3, 2004
Just wait till I have a Mac of *each* OS here on this desk, then I will be really confused! Jane

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections