Why no LightRoom icon on the Mac Forum page?

EG
Posted By
Ed_Gerson
Sep 3, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Forum has DNG discussion access without navigating elsewhere to find it. Seems like PS and LR, if they’re a team, should tandem off the same access page. – Ed

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 3, 2006
Probably because LR was a Macromedia product.

You’ll find it in the ugly and slow mess that comprises the MM Forums — and which they were hoping to foist on the rest of us.

🙁

<http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom/>
C
Cindy
Sep 3, 2006
You’ll find it in the ugly and slow mess that comprises the MM Forums — and which they were hoping to foist on the rest of us.

🙂
IL
Ian_Lyons
Sep 3, 2006
Lightroom was never a Macromedia product.

You can read some of its history at < http://photoshopnews.com/2006/01/09/the-shadowlandlightroom- development-story/>
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 3, 2006
Sorry to have mislead you on the genesis of Lightroom.

However, in that case, why on earth did Adobe Labs choose to host it’s Lightroom Forum in that ghastly format (which is the complete antithesis of the elegant Lightroom GUI)?

Or did it happen because "Adobe Labs" have got landed with what has been aptly described elsewhere as that "lemon" called ColdFusion?
R
Ram
Sep 4, 2006
Or did it happen because "Adobe Labs" have got landed with what has been aptly described elsewhere as that "lemon" called ColdFusion?

That seems to be the case. Adobe execs must have been blinded (blind sided?) by other Macromedia assets, but based on what they did (NOT) do to Fontographer while they owned it, I can’t imagine what assets other than Flash could have possibly justified the exorbitant purchase price. :/
R
Ram
Sep 4, 2006
I hope Adobe’s finances are strong enough to withstand this apparent blunder. I’d hate for this albatross to be Adobe’s downfall.
EG
Ed_Gerson
Sep 4, 2006
Me slow software theery. what macromedia? try macro diet once, googled all over. Then stomach ok.

Me want click LR like me never do DNG. Just in case on same page. uhdobe look like bad famly pikture, me in there somewhere.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 4, 2006
Here you are Ed:

<http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom/>

Remember that Lightroom is still in Beta.
The fact that it is not yet a commercially available product is probably the real reason that it is not listed on the Forum’s page.
EG
Ed_Gerson
Sep 4, 2006
Thanks Ann. Soon as I figure out how to retrieve my password. Btw, I am feeling G4 encumbered right now reading all this stuff. – Ed
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 4, 2006
Re your Password:

Try clicking the "I’ve forgotten my Password" button and they should email it to you.

Whether the Password then works in the mess that is ColdFusion is a different matter.
[See the thread in Forum Comments on that subject!]
R
Ram
Sep 4, 2006
Interesting… the Lightroom beta download for the Mac has "_stand alone_" as part of the filename.

One can only deduce that there will be a Lightroom plug-in or component to be merged into Photoshop 10. Good news.
EG
Ed_Gerson
Sep 4, 2006
I look forward to the PS v10 plug-in that announces: "You may have already won a free Tech Support Call!"

– Ed
IL
Ian_Lyons
Sep 4, 2006
the Lightroom beta download for the Mac has "_stand alone_" as part of the filename

Stand-alone as opposed to the version that includes "sample images" (i.e approx 9.7 MB download compared to 116.5MB download).

Towards the bottom of the Lightroom download page you’ll see a version identified as "Lightroom Beta 3—Installer with Sample Content".

One can only deduce that there will be a Lightroom plug-in or component to be merged into Photoshop 10. Good news.

There will be no Lightroom plug-in, nor will it be merged into Photoshop 10. More bad news for some – Lightroom requires Mac OSX 10.4.3 or higher.
R
Ram
Sep 4, 2006
More bad news for some – Lightroom requires Mac OSX 10.4.3 or higher.

Yes, that’s a pity; but it’s not news. 🙂

Thanks for clearing up the stand alone part.
E
eltee
Sep 4, 2006
The definition of Beta must be more complex than I thought. (Some testers have LR Beta4; I hear it’s good)
IL
Ian_Lyons
Sep 4, 2006
(Some testers have LR Beta4; I hear it’s good)

Yes!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections