How do you turn a photo into vector art in Photoshop?

MC
Posted By
Mario_Corina
Sep 19, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there a way to turn a photogrpah of a person into vector art in Photoshop?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

HB
Heather Bell
Sep 19, 2006
Simple answer is no.
What are you trying to do, for what purpose?
TK
Tim_Kramer
Sep 19, 2006
Included with Corel Graphics Suite is PowerTrace:
http://www.creativepro.com/story/review/23881.html
Works incredibly well.
I believe Illustrator CS2 has a similiar but less capable ability.

Tim

wrote in message
P
Phosphor
Sep 19, 2006
"I believe Illustrator CS2 has a similiar but less capable ability."

Hmm…
HB
Heather Bell
Sep 19, 2006
I like Corel Trace better myself. It seems to be a more intuitive program. It certainly does a better job, off the cuff, of scanning bitmap solids to vector shapes. Corel does have a tendency to bog down with a lot of shapes, I think a full on photograph trace might bring it to a screaching hault.
H
Ho
Sep 19, 2006
The old Xara also had a great trace tool, far better than anything that ever shipped with Illustrator. I have not tried Live Trace, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it is not the most capable choice.
LR
Linda_Rathgeber
Sep 19, 2006
wrote:

No, but you can do it in Adobe Flash.

Linda Rathgeber
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Sep 20, 2006

Answer is yes, if you can settle for a monochrome vector. All you need is my Vectorize action.

See:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.1de5f905.3bb3a081>
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Sep 20, 2006
BTW, I’d recommend all of the previous posters to this topic to download the action and give it a whirl. There is one novel control technique included in it that you wont find in any other trace tool (the dodge / burn layer).

Photoshop has an awesome, undepletable potential, that really goes beyond imagination.
LR
Linda_Rathgeber
Sep 20, 2006
wrote:
BTW, I’d recommend all of the previous posters to this topic to download the action and give it a whirl. There is one novel control technique included in it that you wont find in any other trace tool (the dodge / burn layer).

Photoshop has an awesome, undepletable potential, that really goes beyond imagination.

Thanks Mathias! Sounds interesting.

Linda R
——–
MC
Mario_Corina
Sep 20, 2006
I have used Flash and it let me turn a jpeg photo into vector art without have to paint or do anything. It was just a one set process. Is there a way to do it in Photoshop or Fireworks? Is there a way to export it out of flash as a jpeg into Photoshop?
LR
Linda_Rathgeber
Sep 20, 2006
wrote:
I have used Flash and it let me turn a jpeg photo into vector art without have to paint or do anything. It was just a one set process. Is there a way to do it in Photoshop or Fireworks? Is there a way to export it out of flash as a jpeg into Photoshop?

There’s no way to do it in Fireworks. To export an image in JPEG format from Flash, choose File > Export > Export image. In the Export Image dialog box, enter a name for the image and choose JPEG for ‘Save as Type.’

Linda R.
———
CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 20, 2006
But if it’s exported as a JPEG, it won’t be in vector format now will it?
AS
a_smithee
Sep 20, 2006
But if it’s exported as a JPEG, it won’t be in vector format now will it?

Nope, but there’s also an option to save as an AI or EPS file along with other choices.
D
deebs
Sep 20, 2006
Anyone tried MagicTrace?
MB
Mitesh_Bhojnagarwala
Sep 22, 2006

From where do I download the action & what action. I was searching for this picture to vector tool in photoshop. Please help. Thanx
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Sep 23, 2006
Follow the link in post # 7

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections