JS
Posted By
John_Slate
Sep 3, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I was trying to show someone the neat trick of filling a canvas with the render>clouds filter then using crop with perspective and dragging the top points of the crop area in toward the center to create a passable sky in perspective.

But instead of doing what I wanted, the crop ended up stretching the image vertically in proportion to the difference between to top edge and bottom edge.

So I played with this a bit using an 8" square canvas and dragging the crop marquee over the entire canvas, then dragging the top points in 2" so the top edge was 1/2 the bottom edge, before committing to the crop.

1/2 the time the result remained a square, the other half it stretched vertically to twice the height.

I think it relates to the canvas edge somehow, but frankly I don’t get it.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 3, 2006
I have always found that the crop tool’s implementation of perspective is unpredictable.

I prefer to correct perspective with a Transform; and do any cropping as a separate step afterwards.
JS
John_Slate
Sep 3, 2006
So we both agree the tool is unpredictable.

But I was not exactly correcting anything, I was creating a perspective sky from a render>clouds image.

But you put me on the right track.

Just select all, edit>transform>perspective then way zoom out and open up the window to reveal the space around the canvas, and drag the top outwards until you like what you see.

This method is even better than the perspective crop trick because you can see the result as you do it.

As usual, thanks Ann.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 3, 2006
That Reveal All command is so useful isn’t it?
JS
John_Slate
Sep 3, 2006
I would give my chin a squeeze and issue a wizened nod in your general direction… but I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, yet I feel it must be important somehow.

What exactly is that command at the bottom of the Image pulldown menu, and how does it relate to this thread?

Edit: Ok yes now I remember… if you use the crop tool on a layered file with the "hide" option, reveal-all upcrops the image after you crop.

A useless option IMHO.

But I still don’t know how it relates to this thread?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 3, 2006
That Reveal All command is so useful isn’t it?

… because it allows you to still see what you have cropped off — provided that you set the crop tool with the hide option and allows for second thoughts regarding your perspective and cropping decisions.
JS
John_Slate
Sep 4, 2006
You can’t choose the perspective option when hide is selected
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 4, 2006
But I never correct Perspective with the crop tool … for the reasons that we have already discussed … .

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections