AP
Posted By
astec pubs
Sep 19, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When trying to save a tiff image using "File > Save / Save As" an error is returned "Could not save "…" because the disk is full".

I have over 600GB on a server located on our network. I can save to my local C drive, but then have to move the file.

This just came about. I have been doing this same routine for the past few years. I do have the Adobe automatic updates running, and Microsoft windows automatic updates. No other changes have occured. I have removed my preferences file.

I am running Windows XP 2k2 w/Pack 2 and am using Photoshop CS2 9.02. What do you suggest?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 19, 2006
It is always recommended saving locally and copying your files to the server after.

I know there used to be a bug (cause by Windows IIRC) where a partition that was too big was seen as full by PS, the solution was to have a smaller partition
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Sep 20, 2006
Which version of PS are you using?
AP
astec pubs
Sep 21, 2006
As stated I am using PS CS2 Version 9.02 under Windows XP. I know it is "recommended" to save locally, but our IT "REQUIRES" all files to be saved on the server where they can be backed up; local drives are not backed up. PS should (and did until just recently) file to where ever you direct it to. Please help if you can, as I am dead in the water here because my local drive does not have enough space for file saving. PS is now unusable until this is resolved. Does anyone know how to get help from Adobe? I have called and left messages but no response. Is anyone else having this problem?
BL
Bob Levine
Sep 21, 2006
my local drive does not have enough space for file saving.

How much room exactly is there?

BTW, tell your IT people to realize that all users have different needs. Point them to this thread if you’d like.

Bob
AP
astec pubs
Sep 21, 2006
Thanks for the advice, but I hope that is not the opinion of the group. IT has reasons for their processes. This is a software problem which must be addressed by Adobe. Are there realistic suggestions?
B
Bernie
Sep 21, 2006
Save locally copy to the server. Your files will then be backed up.

FWIW, Adobe cannot "fix" the problem, there are just too many variables. Your IT department needs to fix their network. Remember, PS is probably the single most demanding software you are runing in terms of resources that need to be allocated to it.
L
LenHewitt
Sep 21, 2006
Astec,

IT has reasons for their processes.<<

Please point out to your IT folks that saving over the network is supported only when using Version Cue, a part of the full Creative Suite.

Version Cue automatically saves to the local HDD and then copies the file over to the network drive, allowing the network to properly perform it’s checks and balances. Saving directly over the network is going to bite you one day.
CC
Chris_Cox
Sep 21, 2006
And your local drive must have enough space for saving the file, else Photoshop’s scratch would be running out of space (because it has to hold the uncompressed image data).

And this does sound like a server bug or configuration problem. (even if you are lucky enough to save across the network without getting file corruption)
BL
Bob Levine
Sep 21, 2006
IT has reasons for their processes.

They always do and it’s mostly the fact they’re way too closed minded to see that different users have different needs.

Bob
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Sep 22, 2006
As Chris said, if you don’t have enough space on your local HD to save, then you are at risk with respect to the scratch file. And I would add that you are also at risk with respect to temp files used by the OS and many other programs, as well as your pagefile. You should never let a HD get down to less than 10-25% free space (percentage inversely proportionate to disk size). When you send a file to a printer, or download a file, or copy a file to a network, or listen to an online MP3, or browse a website, you are using temp files.

A couple of things to check out, if you are running short on HD space, are: IE cache size — Windows sets this to some ungodly large amount, and you can safely reduce it to something in the range of 10-100 MB; space reserved for restore points — again, Windows uses way more than is necessary; temp files — go to c:\documents and settings\[user name]\Local Settings\Temp and delete everything that is old (how old depends on how badly you need space, six months? a week?); Windows Update uninstall files — go to your Windows Directory, enable display of hidden files and directories and system files, and you will find a huge number of directories with names beginning "$NTUninstall"; if you don’t plan to uninstall Windows Updates more than 6 months old, delete those; empty your recycling bin and set its options to limit the amount of space it consumes.

Finally, use the wclean command twice, with the /SAGESET:100 and then /SAGERUN:100 options. When you run it with SAGESET, you can select the type of garbage to clean up. (You can use any number you want instead of 100, as long as you use the same number both times.) You will be surprised how much space you can clean up by using these methods. I created over 7 GB of free space on my wife’s computer, which was running out of disk space.
MV
max_vincent
Sep 22, 2006
I’ve struggled with this problem myself, and after spending several hours on it, I can say for certain that it is not a network problem, nor is it a "disk full" problem. It’s an issue where Photoshop simply refuses to save over the network to certain drive configurations. (It will save to our windows server every time, but fails to save to most of our linux servers)

But from reading this forum, apparently Adobe does not support saving over the network. Fine. (although I would still prefer it it could.)

The problem that Adobe should fix is the bogus error message. It should say "Saving a file over a network to certain drive configurations is not supported" instead of the terse lie "disk full."

Then at least I wouldn’t waste so much time troubleshooting.
CC
Chris_Cox
Sep 22, 2006
Max – and from the Photoshop side, we can assure you that it is almost certainly a problem outside of Photoshop.

Adobe doesn’t support saving over the network because we’ve seen too many problems outside of our control: drivers, OS, network devices, servers, server permissions, etc. We support it as best we can, but there are just too many variables and too long a history of problems beyond our control.

And it is not a bogus error message: the OS is telling Photoshop that the disk has no space left (although in some cases the OS lies like a rug). Photoshop then relays that error to you, the user. Photoshop doesn’t even know that the selected volume is on a network server — it just tries to do a save, the same as if saving to a local disk.
S
Stu78
Sep 27, 2006
I have the exact same problem which is described we have been using PS for Years using network Drives and its been fine, recently we installed a new file server with 1.5TB of storage, and PS reports disk is full.

The OS reports the correct size and all other applications work and save to the network drive but PS doesnt…. to me this problem is definitely a PS issue
B
Bernie
Sep 27, 2006
Stu,

This is a known Windows related bug (see post #1)

The solution is to fill up that drive until there is less than 1 TB of space left or partition it.
CC
Chris_Cox
Sep 27, 2006
Or upgrade to Photoshop CS, where we worked around the Windows bug that caused the disk full messages
JS
jr_sanford
Sep 28, 2006
I would try creating a folder at the root level (on the server) and "save as" to that folder. Version Cue is made to do this task. Does that work?
MT
mark.thomas.7
Sep 28, 2006
astec pubs wrote:
When trying to save a tiff image using "File > Save / Save As" an error is returned "Could not save "…" because the disk is full".

I have over 600GB on a server located on our network. I can save to my local C drive, but then have to move the file.

Sorry if I am repeating a suggestion.. but have you checked how much space *you* have left? As an individual network user (presumably without admin privileges), you almost certainly don’t have rights to anywhere near that 600Gb! Ask your IT department to monitor what is happening while you try to save the files. If there *is* a problem at their end, then they should be able to tell you exactly what the problem is.

Remind them that IT is about *solutions*. And solutions come from understanding the problem, not shoving it sideways.
S
Stu78
Oct 6, 2006
Thanks for Your Replys:

Cyber do you have anymore info about the windows bug?

Sanford we tried created a folder on the root of the data partition on the server, shared it and got the same message when selecting Save AS

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections