Z
Posted By
ZEROmedia
Sep 19, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have this same Problem, but it happens all the time. So when I save for web the colors dull down. It seems to have something to do with Image Ready – My colors are set to sRGB – I just don’t understand why its happening? I had no problems in PS 6, but since they intergrated image ready as the ‘save for web’ function the colors have dulled down.

Does anyone have a clue why this is happening? I haven’t played with any color settings.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

LR
Linda_Rathgeber
Sep 19, 2006
wrote:

Does anyone have a clue why this is happening? I haven’t played with any color settings.

See if it helps to turn off both Adobe color management and color profile embedding.

Linda Rathgeber – Adobe Community Expert, Fireworks
C
chrisjbirchall
Sep 19, 2006
See if it helps to turn off both Adobe color management and color profile embedding

Adobe Community Expert

I haven’t played with any color settings.

Then you should.

Because Photoshop is a colour-managed environment you need to tell it how to communicate with your monitor via a correctly adjusted profile. To do this, run Adobe Gamma – or if you have and LCD screen, your third-party profiling device/software.
S
stevent
Sep 19, 2006
It seems to have something to do with Image Ready

I don’t think ImageReady is colour managed like Photoshop.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 19, 2006
Sure it is. Look under the View menu.

Chris, as usual, is spot on.

One should see little if any difference when viewing an image with Photoshop (aka a color managed app) and something like Windows Viewer or in a web browser, IF the monitor is calibrated correctly.

15 minutes at the link Chris provided will resolve these issues. Or for a more direct link, <http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps9_colour/ps9_1.htm>
L
LenHewitt
Sep 19, 2006
Linda,

You should NEVER turn off colour management in Photoshop – that’s about the worst possible advice to give anyone. That’s going back to the days of Photoshop 3x.
Z
ZEROmedia
Sep 19, 2006
can defiantly notice a difference between adobe photoshop and image ready, so i think the problem lies there.. How do i know what color settings i should use in photoshop? and why would the color be turning dull from photoshop to image ready when i haven’t played with any features? Doesn’t really make sense to me.

I’m running on a PowerBook if that makes any difference

I’m going to play around with the settings now and see what happens, if anyone has any idea that would be great.
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 19, 2006
Rathgeber comes from the German for "advice giver".

🙁

Don’t play around! Read the linked information and then read it again, until you understand it, then you will know exactly what to do!
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 19, 2006
and why would the color be turning dull from photoshop to image ready when i haven’t played with any features?

Your issue is monitor calibration. Or, the three or four very tenured posters telling you this are just screwing with you to make you waste time. If guessing is quicker, have at it.
Z
ZEROmedia
Sep 19, 2006
sorry im confused now?

can anyone tell me exactly what i can do? If its a monitor calibration then how do i fix it on a mac? I’m really lost. i really thought it would have to do with photoshop and image ready, why else would it dull down the colors between 2 programs?
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 19, 2006
You need to read the link provided earlier. Note however, this is the Windows forum, you may get better help in the Mac forum. I did a search on Ians’ site and found:

< http://www.computer-darkroom.com/colorsync-display/colorsync _1.htm>

If you read the first link provided regarding PS9 color management, you will no longer be confused. What you do about it may be captured in the link above.

You must calibrate your display.
Z
ZEROmedia
Sep 19, 2006
thanks YrbkMgr, i went and did exactly what you said and it worked like a charm. You don’t realise how long that’s annouyed me. This is going to make a big difference for me.

Thanks again.
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 19, 2006
Whew!
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Sep 19, 2006
By the way, Z, this is the Photoshop WINDOWS forum. You’re welcome to participate, but the Photoshop MAC <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.ee6b362/> forum might be a better place to ask for advice on how to set up Photoshop on a Powerbook.
LR
Linda_Rathgeber
Sep 19, 2006
wrote:
Linda,

You should NEVER turn off colour management in Photoshop – that’s about the worst possible advice to give anyone. That’s going back to the days of Photoshop 3x.

Color management controls color for printed media, not for images intended for use on the screen. Color profile embedding doesn’t work for Web pages because browsers can’t read it.

Linda Rathgeber – Adobe Community Expert, Fireworks
CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 19, 2006
And it allows you to convert your files to an RGB profile that is close to most monitors (sRGB) – another reason you should never turn it off
P
Phosphor
Sep 19, 2006
Posted at CreativePro.com yesterday:

"Tips for Managing Web Color in Photoshop"
<http://www.creativepro.com/story/howto/24697.html>
L
LenHewitt
Sep 19, 2006
Linda,

Color profile embedding doesn’t work for
Web pages because browsers can’t read it.<<

That is absoultely NO reason to turn off CM in Photoshop (and incidentally, embedded profiles are beginning to be supported in browsers).

Color management controls color for printed media<<

NO, it is designed to keep appearance constant regardless of output device. When ‘outputting’ to a non-colour managed device (i.e. a web server) then we have View Proof Colours available to preview appearance in a monitor colour space.

You can never actually completely turn off colour management in Photoshop, and using Proof colours is by far the best method to use to preview images intended for web use.

Photoshop is NOT Fireworks….
S
SDA
Sep 20, 2006
On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 09:15:07 -0700, in adobe.photoshop.windows wrote:
Linda,

Photoshop is NOT Fireworks….

No it’s much better at doing one thing — Screen media than Photoshop/ImageReady.

BTW Linda is absolutely correct, colour management is useless when working in ImageReady, and if one is doing this regularly, then turning off colour management is the thing to do — It eliminates the OP problem.

There is only one browser that supports colour mgmt TMK, and that’s Safari.

Oh and Len, even being the cop, doesn’t entitle you to be rude — Ever heard of professional courtesy ?

Linda is a guru, and does amazing work — Perhaps educate yourself about someones pedigree, before making a fool of yourself.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 20, 2006
Len didn’t make a fool of himself. He knows what he’s talking about and has been a source of sage advice to millions in the time that he’s been here. When you listen to him over time, you find that he doesn’t make emphatic statements about things he’s not sure of. <wink>

BTW Linda is absolutely correct, colour management is useless when working in ImageReady

That is where we disagree. For me, when I create an image, I want it to display reasonably consistently across the gamut (pardon the pun) of monitors.

Since I also like to have my prints look as expected, I have to use color management practices; it begins with a calibrated monitor. And as a side point, I cannot see where "ignoring calibration" is the answer except in the most extreme of cicumstances.

Anyway, since I have to have it enabled to print, why should I turn it off to do any other work? I often create PDFs from images – Acrobat IS color managed; so guess what? Got to have color mangement on.

So the notion of turning color mangement off when working with web destined graphics may be sound if your ONLY work will EVER be web. But how hard is it to calibrate your monitor?

And besides the correct answer is, the reason for the differences that the OP and others see between the two apps is due to an improperly calibrated monitor. As a professional forum, I find it important that we tell folk the right answer as often as possible.

<shrug>

Peace,
Tony

Edit And no disrespect to Linda intended, but the natives that have been visiting these forums for the past five or more years think that the "expert" tag line might be just a bit much – and if one is giving incorrect advice with "expert" in their name, it almost certainly is a bit much. Even the Adobe Engineers who visit the forum and answer questions have no compulsion to state their (formidable) credentials.
L
LenHewitt
Sep 20, 2006
SDA,

colour management is useless when working in ImageReady,<<

There is no colour management in ImageReady – it isn’t a colour-managed application. That, however, is no reason whatsoever to consider "turning off" Photoshop’s colour management, which was the point under discussion.

I would be seriously failing in my responsibilities to the users of this forum if I failed to point out blatently bad advice when it is given here – particularly when that advice is coming from someone who’s well respected within the community.

Oh, and if you prefer it I can sign off with:

Adobe Community Expert ,Photoshop if you prefer – but in these forums we are a little less formal than in the old Macromedia forums.
LR
Linda_Rathgeber
Sep 20, 2006
wrote:

Anyway, since I have to have it enabled to print, why should I turn it off to do any other work?

If, as I do, you are creating images for the screen only, and not for print. These are the settings I use for Web images:

http://www.playingwithfire.com/cm.html

Note the text in the Description section at the bottom of the dialog box.

Even the Adobe Engineers who visit the forum and answer questions have no compulsion to state their (formidable) credentials.

We are suppose to use it in the forums in which we perform peer to peer support. I simply forgot to turn it off when I posted here.

Linda R.
———
LR
Linda_Rathgeber
Sep 20, 2006
wrote:

I would be seriously failing in my responsibilities to the users of this forum if I failed to point out blatently bad advice when it is given here – particularly when that advice is coming from someone who’s well respected within the community.

I see it as a difference of opinion, Len. We regularly tell people to turn off color management if they are going to be opening their Photoshop files in Fireworks, which, like Image Ready, is not a color managed application. That’s based on advice once posted to the Fireworks forum by an Adobe engineer. I’ll quote:

If my high-school German serves me, it sounds as if you are using color management in Photoshop and the file looks different and lighter when you open it in Fireworks. This is to be expected as Fireworks does not support color profiles or color management in general so the same rgb color numbers will look different in the two applications. Fireworks does support adjusting the image gamma (lightness response curve) and that could be how you can reconcile your problem.

In Photoshop, set the Color Management policy to "Off" to display the image without color managing it or to "Web Defaults" to use the system and modern browser default sRGB color profile. You can use the Photoshop View menu to simulate what the image will look like using Macintosh (1.8) or Windows (2.2) standard gamma. Now when you transfer the file to Fireworks it should look almost identical as it does in Photoshop.

Marc Pawliger
Photoshop team
Adobe Systems

Linda R.
———-
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 20, 2006
Linda,

While the statement at the bottom of the dialog is true, I do not see the statement that says "therefore you do not need to calibrate your monitor".

If we had gone the route of understanding this persons workflow and understood that color management would and should never play a role in this person’s work, then perhaps, a cautious "perhaps", turning off color management is a sound strategy.

But the fact is, rather than hide the issue by turning off the monitoring mechanism, why not resolve the issue with a simple 10 minute run of Adobe Gamma? Why not do it right?

In addition, we saw the response back in post 15

"went and did exactly what you said and it worked like a charm. You don’t realise how long that’s annouyed me. This is going to make a big difference for me."

I don’t think it’s fair to blindly assume that everyone works as you do, without care of color management, and indeed in this case my feelings are bore out by the posters follow up remarks.

In essence, there’s an analogy between it and using painkillers: sometimes masking the pain can cause more damage.
LR
Linda_Rathgeber
Sep 20, 2006
wrote:
Linda,

While the statement at the bottom of the dialog is true, I do not see the statement that says "therefore you do not need to calibrate your monitor".

I didn’t say anything about not needing to calibrate your monitor, nor have I assumed that everyone works as I do. I merely suggested that he try my method.

Linda R.
———
C
chrisjbirchall
Sep 20, 2006
We regularly tell people to turn off color management if they are going to be opening their Photoshop files in Fireworks…

Which is precisely why those poor ill-advised souls come to this forum to ask why their colours are way off!

Do us all a favour Linda. Stick to advising people only on matters pertaining to the software in which you are considered "expert" and quit telling them how to mess up the world’s most advanced image manipulation program.

What you’re doing can be enlikened to an "expert" cyclist advising someone who’s just bought a high-performance car to "lean heavily to the left when taking a left-hand corner!

Chris – just Chris!
LR
Linda_Rathgeber
Sep 20, 2006
wrote:

What you’re doing can be enlikened to an "expert" cyclist advising someone who’s just bought a high-performance car to "lean heavily to the left when taking a left-hand corner!

I take it you don’t like Fireworks. 🙂

Linda R.
——–
C
chrisjbirchall
Sep 20, 2006
Never used it it Linda, so I can’t comment.

I do know, however, that whatever web authoring application one uses, the correct procedure when preparing an image in "colour-managed" Photoshop, is to "Convert to sRGB" before saving.

Telling users to "turn off colour management" is doing them a huge disservice.
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 20, 2006
As Tony and Len have pointed out, for the vast majority of new Photoshop users, colour management is a mystery but, if they are ever going to understand it, they need to calibrate their monitors. And, if they are ever going to print a picture or send it to a printer, they will need to use it.

While some people will use Photoshop exclusively for preparing web images, this will be a tiny minority of those who visit this forum. Why would anyone pay out hundreds of dollars for an application, to use 1% of its capabilities? Especially when there are dozens of cheaper or even free programs that will do the job.

This forum has its own preferred colour management guru (Ian Lyons) because his "Computer Darkroom" site has pages that explain colour management in terms understandable for the layman or beginner. There are other sources (I have always been a fan of Bruce Fraser) but no-one explains it better than Ian.

It is appreciated that the experts in Macromedia products (I have used use two for years) are used to appending their qualifications to forum posts but it can give the wrong impression of "authority" to newbies in a Photoshop forum, who most probably never heard of Fireworks. This is bad if the advice is not 100% spot on.
LR
Linda_Rathgeber
Sep 20, 2006
John Joslin wrote:

It is appreciated that the experts in Macromedia products (I have used use two for years) are used to appending their qualifications to forum posts but it can give the wrong impression of "authority" to newbies in a Photoshop forum, who most probably never heard of Fireworks. This is bad if the advice is not 100% spot on.

One question, and please don’t everyone jump all over me for posting it. How does a newbie know who to rely on as an authority in the Photoshop forum, if the Photoshop forum Community Experts don’t identify themselves as such?

Linda R.
———
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 20, 2006
They don’t need to.

We always jump on bad advice and correct it!

Due to the speed of these forums, and the global spread of the people posting, bad advice doesn’t stay unchallenged for long.
GS
Gustavo Sanchez
Sep 20, 2006
Linda,

One question, and please don’t everyone jump all over me for posting it. How does a newbie know who to rely on as an authority in the Photoshop forum, if the Photoshop forum Community Experts don’t identify themselves as such?

Because the advice given is sound.

(And, your likely next question:)

But how do you really know the advice given is sound?

Because people here will instantly jump and correct the advice. That’s why this forum (Mac and Win sides alike) is so good: It’s a sheer nerdocracy of merits. But they (we?) are good folks in spite of their grumpy character 😉

Different forums, different mores
LR
Linda_Rathgeber
Sep 20, 2006
John Joslin wrote:
They don’t need to.

We always jump on bad advice and correct it!

In your opinion, bad. But perhaps if I knew who the forum guru’s were, I wouldn’t argue with them. 🙂

Linda R.
——–
GS
Gustavo Sanchez
Sep 20, 2006
Naaahhh! ;P
LR
Linda_Rathgeber
Sep 20, 2006
Gustavo Sanchez wrote:

But they (we?) are good folks in spite of their grumpy
character 😉

I think you’re damned scary. 🙂

Linda R.
———-
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 20, 2006
I think you’re damned scary.

You are a newbie here!

B)
LR
Linda_Rathgeber
Sep 20, 2006
John Joslin wrote:

You are a newbie here!

Yup. I’m not a newbie to preparing graphics for the Web, however. 🙂

Linda R.
———
C
chrisjbirchall
Sep 20, 2006
I’m not a newbie to preparing graphics for the Web

The point is, when we give advice here, we do so with the understanding that Photoshop is many different things to many different people.

For instance: I personally never work on images in CMYK, but would never dream of telling users to avoid CMYK at all costs! To do so would be a disservice to any newcomer who might be preparing images for the print industry.

You can defend your "switch off colour management" advice as much as you like. But you will not alter the fact it is
B bad
advice!
L
LenHewitt
Sep 20, 2006
Hi Linda,

Well with all due respect to Marc, I still say that turning off Photoshop’s colour management is very poor advice, and I wonder to what version of PS he was referring, since in the last 2 releases, Proof Colours allows the user to view exactly what they will see in a non-colour managed environment. Turning off colour management may have been acceptable advice for prior versions, but not now.

I’ve no problems whatsoever with Marc’s alternative suggestion of Web defaults.
LR
Linda_Rathgeber
Sep 20, 2006
wrote:

For instance: I personally never work on images in CMYK, but would never dream of telling users to avoid CMYK at all costs!

Nor would I Chris. I didn’t say that color management was bad, or that he should turn it off permanently. I merely suggested that he *try*, as in experiment with, switching color management off to solve a problem. Regardless of whether or not you consider it bad advice, it works.

Linda R.
——–
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Sep 20, 2006
I love this forum – and in extension its core users. 43 posts of professional bantering in the name of giving the best advice to our visitors. Does it get any better?

For anyone that is beyond calibrating monitors and wondering about the Color Settings dialogue, try a visit to the Camera RAW forum, where the heavy color management stuff is avidly debated by the grand old men of all that is computer color.

BTW, there is no such thing as turning off color mangement in Photoshop. You simply can’t do it any more – regardless of what the Color Setting dialogue tells you. There is good reasons for this.
P
Phosphor
Sep 20, 2006
Regarding bad advice:

I used to frequent several other fairly high-profile Photoshop-centric forums, PlanetPhotoshop being a chief exemplar among them.

I saw SOOOOO much bad, or incomplete advice being given that it drove me nuts. I was going crazy trying to run around correcting people and putting out the bad advice fires that I had to quit visiting, for my own sanity, and because it was just taking too much time.

The reason I like this place so much is that the calibre of advice given is just about as good as it gets. Couple that with the speed of the forums, the heavy traffic, and the long established tenure of MANY of the participants here…it really can’t be beat. I know that if I just don’t have the time or energy to answer a question, that there are plenty of people here whose participation I trust. And because of that, I don’t have a compunction to try to answer or participate in every thread that appears.

And I STILL get to learn new stuff here because there are so many regulars here that work in industries that I don’t know much about, or who have been doing things day in, day out I’m only tangentially acquainted with. And because of THAT, I will quietly keep my hands away from the keyboard (which can be difficult for me!) when the question at hand would be better served by someone who knows it more thoroughly than I do.

And because of THAT, these forums have intrinsically evolved a well-oiled system of checks and balances where bad or incomplete advice is amended, corrected and expanded upon by a large and dedicated coterie of people for whom I have a great deal of respect. In that respect, the threads in these forums are almost as responsive as a Wiki insofar as the good advice FAR outweighs the bad.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 20, 2006
But perhaps if I knew who the forum guru’s were, I wouldn’t argue with them.

Not necessarily. Chris Cox is an Adobe Engineer and is routinely challenged for his views on certain things.

I don’t know fireworks, but I know photoshop. And what I know of photoshop is that there are areas of it that are still a mystery. Unlike other forums I’ve visited, folks here don’t just give the quick fix advice – usually. As Phosphor said above, and what Chris alluded to is that, simply, if you don’t understand what something does, but want to share your experience, you should state it as such.

If you had appropriately cautioned the user, this color management issue may have been 20 posts instead of 50. And by that I mean, it would have been entirely appropriate, in my opinion, to say "As a test of whether or not it’s color management, try turing it off temporarily. If that ‘fixes’ the problem, then you should calibrate your monitor".

Alternatively, you could have said "I use Photoshop only for its web tools and therefore turn color management off and it works for me – your mileage may vary".

But what happened is, your good intent was followed by innaccurate adivse, and topped with "I’m an expert". It was a faux pas at best, but that’s the reasn that so many of the regulars are taking issue with it.

I can tell you that there are folks that are NOT "community experts" that provide correct information, and from whom I learn – so in regards to who one should listen to, I’m not sure of the answer except to say that when bad advice is given, it’s usually called out on the carpet, as you’ve by now noticed <smile>.
LR
Linda_Rathgeber
Sep 20, 2006
wrote:

Alternatively, you could have said "I use Photoshop only for its web tools and therefore turn color management off and it works for me – your mileage may vary".

It has Web tools? 🙂 I only use it for photo editing.

Linda R.
———-
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 20, 2006
Oh dear 🙁
DM
Don_McCahill
Sep 20, 2006
Hey, I’m with Linda on this one. Fireworks has far, far better web tools than ImageReady. There just is no comparison. I’d love to see FW replace IR if one of the programs is to bite the dust as a result of the merger.

But I agree with the rest of you on the points relating to color management. And apparently we all agree that Photoshop is unrivalled for photo editing.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 20, 2006
It has Web tools?

You’re kidding right?

Don,

Hey, I’m with Linda on this one. Fireworks has far, far better web tools than ImageReady.

Uhm, I don’t get it. With Linda on what? No one is or has ever contested the competency of Fireworks. That’s not really the conversation at all, is it?
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 20, 2006
We’ve all known IR was on the way to the bin for ages.
LR
Linda_Rathgeber
Sep 20, 2006
wrote:
Hey, I’m with Linda on this one. Fireworks has far, far better web tools than ImageReady. There just is no comparison. I’d love to see FW replace IR if one of the programs is to bite the dust as a result of the merger.

I’d rather see Fireworks continue to be developed as a stand alone app. Web and Print are two very different design spaces. IMHO, it doesn’t enhance Photoshop in any practical way to graft Web prep functionality onto it. Neither Photoshop nor Fireworks gets the full attention of their engineering teams that way.

Linda R.
———
DM
Don_McCahill
Sep 20, 2006
True. But ImageReady was (I suspect) a direct response to Firework’s success. Then, when it failed to sell (I wonder why 🙂 ), it was bundled with PS.

I have heard something to the point where IR would not be bundled in a future PS … so maybe what you say will happen.
CC
Chris_Cox
Sep 20, 2006
(these folks will sometimes even jump on the "expert" advise to correct it — hey, even the experts can have an off day…)
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 20, 2006
Except Chris. (kidding, or not…wait…oh, nevermind)

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections