Posted By
Mitch_Graves
Aug 25, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

During my move I lost my Version 6 upgrade.
I still have my full V3.
A buddy offered to sell his V7 upgrade.
Before he ships it across the US I’d like to be sure it’ll work.

thanks

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ram
Aug 25, 2006
You’ll need the serial number for the older version as well as the new one. Call Customer support (not "tech support") and, if you’re a registered owner, they’ll give you a number that works. The v3 serial number is too old to work, but they’ll correct that.

They will also verify that the upgrade is legit, and that it hasn’t been used to upgrade to version 8 or 9, and that your "buddy" has signed a letter of transfer of license and destruction of his copy of version 7 and any other version to which he may have upgraded by using his version 7 serial number.
MG
Mitch_Graves
Aug 25, 2006
I know his version of & is legit I have seen the retail box etc. He just jumped to the latest upgrade.
He told me he will sign the letter (I didn’t even know abou any letter).

My V3 is full retail.
I can install it now.
How is it the serial can’t work?
It does work!

He said he upgraded to his V7 with V4.
He did not mention any of the hoops you did….
BB
by_Buko
Aug 25, 2006
Mitch.

If your friend only has one license and he still uses photoshop even though he is not using version 7 he must give up the rights to all his versions of that license.

he may not have understood this.

If you own version 3 why don’t you just upgrade to version 9
P
PECourtejoie
Aug 25, 2006
I’m thorn, here… the friend uses a newer upgrade on an older version. So if he sells only the V7 upgrade, but keeps an older version, and a newer upgrade, isn’t that legal?

Yes, the upgrade to CS2 costs something like $149, no matter what version you update from. (but you’ll need OS X)
BB
by_Buko
Aug 25, 2006
So if he sells only the V7 upgrade, but keeps an older version, and a newer upgrade, isn’t that legal?

No, It is all the same License.

If you bought Photoshop 3 and upgraded every version you would still only own one license.

If Mitch’s friend sells him his PS7 upgrade and transfers the license to Mitch he will need to destroy all his copies of Photoshop. Then Mitch will own 2 licenses and his friend will have none.
MG
Mitch_Graves
Aug 25, 2006
1st of all I am about a sure as I can be Paul has never made any copies of anything. And he certainly has no need of any copies of V7 for any reason. It is completely superfluous.

I may not have been clear here:
Paul (my friend) has a FULL version of 4.
He went to upgrade V7.
Now he has skipped over 7 and upgraded again to V9.

HE used his V4(FULL) to install the Up V9.
———–
I have a Full V3 and lost my Up6 and want to buy and transfer his Up7.

——
SOOOOO WThe ONLY thing I really want to know is will the V7 upgrade recognize the V3 full I already own? I really don’t care about anything other than this one question.

thanks very much
BB
by_Buko
Aug 25, 2006
Mitch If your friend Paul only has one license and he registered his copy of v7 and is still going to still use Photoshop, even though it is version 9 he can’t legally sell you the upgrade with out giving up his rights to his license.

If the Photoshop 7 is still unopened and has not been registered there is no problem.

but since you have version 3 you will need to call customer service to get the install codes because the registration numbers have changed so much since v3. If you did not register your version 3 with Adobe you probably will not get the help you need and the upgrade will do you no good.

I’m not sure I can explain it any clearer.
CB
Chris_Baham
Aug 25, 2006
Your not using OSX yet? WHY!? Thats like still using Windows 98…. ugh.. but even worse because OSX beats the hell out of OS 9 in all ways. (XP doesnt beat the hell out of 98 all that much)
R
Ram
Aug 25, 2006
Mitch,

The ONLY thing I really want to know is will the V7 upgrade recognize the V3 full I already own?

I don’t think so, not without calling Adobe to get a new number, since the version number in Photoshop 3 had a different format. A version number from Photoshop 4 will work in Photoshop 7, but not 3.

I really don’t care about anything other than this one question.

Well, we don’t really care for software pirates. What you are proposing to do is criminally and civilly actionable software piracy.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Aug 25, 2006
What Ramón said. Folks here largely live by getting paid for intellectual property, so as a consequence we tend to be fairly adamant about the protection of intellectual property rights, even those of huge corporations.
MG
Mitch_Graves
Aug 26, 2006
GEEZ who would have thought I would learn all this trying to do a morally just thing like upgrade to V7?
I too own and create valuable intellectual property.

However stupid is stupid. Adobe claiming rights over something Paul purchased is ludicrous. He paid for it.
What if he skipped 7 altogether?
Anyone who can’t see that this is nothing more than Adobe trying to force people to buy more copies of their software is a fool.
That is the pure and simple truth of it.
If your school did this with your children’s text books you would go berserk. The examples are limitless.
The fact is that I DID pay to get in the Adobe PS loop.
I DO have the right to any upgrade I want to purchase.
And morally I can’t be forced to buy it from whomever they approve. If the product is legit- then if I buy it with rights I am too! And I also have the right to sell what I no longer use to someone else who uses it (not copies) under their own valid full version.

Some of you guys are sheep. To compare this to someone ripping off original artwork for their personal gain defies logic.
To put Adobe software onto a plane of existence that does not apply to anything else is absurd. What convoluted thinking. It should be required in this country for every student to pass a logic course every year.

If Adobe wants to get into the software rental business then they should be required by law to publish the fact that what you pay for gives you no rights of ownership. And if they do not make this as clear as the Surgeon Generals Warning, it is they who are defrauding the public.

It is no wonder PSP etc. are gaining so much ground. This kind of stupidity and corporate greed is exactly why Apple has never come close to the PC. And it is why Windows is losing ground all over the planet to Linux. It is stupid and shortsighted.

It’s not like anyone is talking about copying or forging or claiming authorship, or using w/o paying, or even like taking a 4" Polaroid of some art. I am certain since Paul put his 9 over his V4 that he can sell his V7. And if it doesn’t it will just confirm the worst about Adobe’s future.

I am unsubscribing from the thread and dropping the forum. If I come back I’ll be forced to use my minor in rhetorical analysis to blow up the fallacies that are sure to come.
All I can say to those who think it is just or moral for a company to dictate the ownership of a product they sold is this. I’ve been in China and you might like their system better there.
If not get a Logic 101 text and do yourself a favor; Read it till the lights come on.

Peace out…….
R
Ram
Aug 26, 2006
Long post skipped.

I am certain since Paul put his 9 over his V4 that he can sell his V7.

You are dead wrong. The license does not allow him to do that.

Paul has only ONE license to run Photoshop, ONE.

If he sells you ANY of his upgrades, he is selling you his only license to run Photoshop and has to destroy all his other copies. Otherwise, he’s guilty of conspiracy to commit piracy together with you.

Just give us your full name and address. Adobe’s legal department would love to prove it to you. And so would the legal department of any software you think you own.

You don’t "own" any software; you have purchased a license to use it according to the End User Lice Agreement (EULA). You cannot substitute your own judgment for the EULA. Period. End of story.

I’ve been in China and you might like their system better there.

No, YOU will love their system. They pirate everything with impunity there. It’s pirate’s paradise. I’ve been there myself —more than once.
R
Ram
Aug 26, 2006
Now I read a bit more of your rant.

I am unsubscribing from the thread and dropping the forum.

That is wise.

It would have been even wiser to refrain from posting your last message. Now Adobe has your I.P. address. :/
R
Ram
Aug 26, 2006
This is a straight copy and paste of an excerpt from the EULA-pdf that ships with the Version 7 Upgrade:

4. Transfer. You may not, rent, lease, sell, sublicense, un-bundle and/or repackage for distribution or resale, or authorize all or any portion of the Software to be copied onto another users computer except as may be expressly permitted herein. You may, however, transfer all your rights to Use the Software to another person or legal entity provided that: (a) you also transfer (i) this Agreement, (ii) the serial number(s), Software and all other software or hardware bundled, packaged or pre-installed with the Software, including all copies, =+2>Updates and prior versions, and (iii) all copies of font software converted into other formats, to such person or entity; (b) you retain no copies, including backups and copies stored on a computer; and (c) the receiving party accepts the terms and conditions of this Agreement and any other terms and conditions upon which you legally purchased a license to the Software. Notwithstanding the foregoing, you may not transfer education, pre-release, or not for resale copies of the Software.
BB
by_Buko
Aug 26, 2006
Mitch, If your friend never opened and registered his Photoshop 7 he can sell it to you.

If he did install and register it then he can’t sell it without transferring his license. If you bought version 3 and loaded it on your machine you agreed to this whether or not you actually read the EULA.
JF
john_findley
Aug 26, 2006
This practice is not confined to Adobe. It’s common for most (I believe) high end applications. Surprised you didn’t know that.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections