MA
Posted By
Michael_A_Shapiro
Aug 25, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using a G5 dual with Photoshop CS2 and a 2400 printer with matte black.My Lacie electron blue is calibrated with a spyder 2 to 6500 and 2.2.

I cannot get true (anywhere close) colors on the printer. I’ve got the adobe color settings on prepress 2 and the "Print with Preview" is all set to spec and the NoColor Mgmnt is set on driver. Everything is right except the color. Epson sent a new printer; colorvision sent a new spider. This problem is a new one. Last week everything was too red. This week it’s lack of blue saturation and brightness.
Really at a loss!
Michael

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Aug 25, 2006
Recheck your color settings.

Follow the instructions on this page to the letter:

<http://www.gballard.net/nca.html>

If you’re still having problems, please post screenshot of your color settings, the Print with Preview window and the driver settings.

What exact version of the OS?
MA
Michael_A_Shapiro
Aug 25, 2006
Ramon, I have looked at that page. I find it very difficult to follow. The directions just don’t make sense.

Regarding screen shots, how do I make them and post them?

OS 10.4.7
MA
Michael_A_Shapiro
Aug 25, 2006
Ramon, I have the screen shots. I cannot find the upload button on this site. Can you help? Thanks.
MA
Michael_A_Shapiro
Aug 25, 2006
OK, I’ve got them posted. There are four shots. Please help with this. I have no idea what the problem is. By the way, I have tried not only colormetric, but perceptual and saturated, both with and without blackpoint compensation.
Thanks.

http://photonphotos.com/grab1.tiff
http://photonphotos.com/grab2.tiff
http://photonphotos.com/grab3.tiff
http://photonphotos.com/grab4.tiff
JV
John_Vitollo
Aug 25, 2006
All screen shots look correct.

Sorry for the basic questions…

How’s the nozzles? Did you do a nozzle check?

Are you printing on the correct side of the paper?
MA
Michael_A_Shapiro
Aug 25, 2006
Hi John, Reasonable questions, although I’m about ready to chase with a pitchfork the next person who asks.

I’ve actually made headway, but feel farther behind. The problem is in Photoshop and has to do with profiles or gamuts I believe. The "sample" of the very cyan fish comes out perfectly. At least the 1" square of cyan color does. My file consisting of very bright royal blue does not. I’m trying now to figure out why there is a difference.
MA
Michael_A_Shapiro
Aug 25, 2006
Here is the latest. When choose my own colors using the color picker, I am finding that huge sections tending toward the upper right hand quadrant, or most intense or saturated colors, are being flagged as out of gamut.

I am relatively sure that the printer would print these, but Photoshop is choosing not to allow them to be sent. They show up fine on the screen.

What gives??
JV
John_Vitollo
Aug 25, 2006
Are you in RGB or CMYK?

You realize that matte paper can not reproduce very bright saturated colors when compared to glossy papers?

What happens when you soft-proof the image with the paper profile?
MA
Michael_A_Shapiro
Aug 25, 2006
RGB

Didn’t realize it, but it makes sense, although in the past I haven’t had a problem.

I guess I don’t understand softproofing. Can you give me a quick explanation or instructions?
R
Ram
Aug 25, 2006
Michael,

Ramon, I have looked at that page. I find it very difficult to follow. The directions just don’t make sense.

I know of no better explanation than what GB has laid out in his page in easy to understand layman’s terms. It has helped countless other users. If that doesn’t help you, I honestly don’t know what will. :/

From some of your other comments (e.g. on soft proofing), I gather you really need to do a lot of reading to come to terms with color management. The fact that GB’s page doesn’t "make sense" to you confirms this.

Unfortunately, the third and fourth links to your screen shots do not work ("Error 404 page not found").

There’s always the possibility of a corrupted printer profile.
JV
John_Vitollo
Aug 25, 2006
In Photoshop you can simulate how the image is going to print by: View>Proof Setup>Custom

This will open a window called Customize Proof Condition. In the "Device to Simulate" pulldown menu select the paper profile you are using.

Rendering Intent should be Perceptual.

Black Point checked.

Make sure Preview is checked on the right side of the window.

You should see a fairly accurate rendition of what will come out of your printer.

Click OK.

Turn the soft proof off and on using "Command Y" keys.

You can adjust the image while soft proofing.

With matte paper strong blues will never print as bright as the screen and turn cyan at times.
R
Ram
Aug 25, 2006
Oh, you’re OK in RGB. Your Epson printer EXPECTS and RGB file, don’t send any CMYK files to it. (In that case, the printer driver would first convert your CMYK file to RGB, and then to Epson’s flavor of CcYMmKg (Cyan, Light Cyan, Yellow, Magenta, Light Magenta, Black, Light black (gray)).
MA
Michael_A_Shapiro
Aug 25, 2006
Ramon, I’ll be the first to admit I’m tnot the best read at color management, but I try to keep up. I have a lot more interest in thiniking about Art than I do computers or software. One thing I do understand, however, because I have done a lot of it, is writing instructions. Let me tell you, the instructions on the page you suggested are unclear. They are not too complicated, just unclear.

As for your comments, I must profess ignorance here, too. I don’t know who you are, but if you are writing in, I imagine it must be to help. Telling me that I must be ignorant because I don’t understand something is a far cry from being helpful. If you would like to work with me to try to get this problewm solved, the same problem, in fact, that several other people seem to be having, that would be great. If you are someone who works for Adobe, then please try to help instead of towing the company no-help line.

I’m just a dumb artist who gets so frustrated with adobe that I become a danger to myself. And, by the way, those links all work perfectly.
MA
Michael_A_Shapiro
Aug 25, 2006
John, thank you very much. From the directions, it truly looks like it will help.

So far I have found that the following combination works best, though not perfectly:The printer profile should be enhanced matte photo or best photo; the rendering intent should be saturated (which makes sense, since that is the problem here) and black point is a matter of choice.
MA
Michael_A_Shapiro
Aug 25, 2006
John, I just tried that out and it’s great. Also, I am heeding your words about he paper. Now, some questions regarding the window, Customize Proof Condition: is it best to check the "simulate paper color" on the lower left? AND Why did my first print, the one that let me know there was a problem, look just like this proof with the checkmark in "preserve RGB Numbers?" I want to know so I can avoid it in the future. Thanks.

Related question-The color in my image is being shown as out of gamut. When I check the View/Gamut Warning, the entire background which is the out of gamut part, just turns gray. What is the purpose?
Thanks for all the help. It makes my day, or maybe even week.
R
Ram
Aug 25, 2006
Michael,

No, I don’t work for Adobe. No one who has replied in this thread does, as far as I know. These are user to user forums.

Over the years I have helped dozens of users with Epson printer problems, including several who have contacted me off line after reading my posts.

I’m sorry I am unable to help you. I’m moving on.
JV
John_Vitollo
Aug 25, 2006
is it best to check the "simulate paper color" on the lower left? AND Why did my first print, the one that let me know there was a problem, look just like this proof with the checkmark in "preserve RGB Numbers?" I want to know so I can avoid it in the future. Thanks.

Go to “Section 3 – Soft Proofing” about 3/4 down the page:

<http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps9_colour/ps9_1.htm>

Actually you should read all of the above page.

And read this page too:

<http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps9_print/ps9_print_1.htm>

The color in my image is being shown as out of gamut. When I check the View/Gamut Warning, the entire background which is the out of gamut part, just turns gray. What is the purpose?

I never use the View/Gamut Warning so I can’t help you with it. I use the soft proof method.

So far I have found that the following combination works best, though not perfectly: The printer profile should be enhanced matte photo or best photo;

Best photo? That’s not a paper profile. Enhanced Matte photo? Oh wait I think there are two profiles for EM. One is using the Matte black ink (MK) and the other using Photo black ink (PK)…which black ink is in your printer?

the rendering intent should be saturated (which makes sense, since that is the problem here) and black point is a matter of choice.

I’d get the profiles worked out first before trying Saturated….Perceptual is a good starting point. Black point on.
R
Ram
Aug 25, 2006
Never mind.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections