Posted By
Byron Gale
Feb 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Chuck,

If you have "tablet support" selected in the "more options" area of the brush option bar, you will see this behavior.

I’d suggest that you leave it unselected, even if you are using the tablet. Only turn it on when you want the brush dynamics (pressure=brush size, etc) when using the tablet.

Byron

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 1, 2004
Well, I’ve really done it to myself this time….

I installed the tablet and it’s working fine, BUT…..I want to return to my Microsoft cordless mouse for program control. It seems to be working okay….except that when I’m using Elements, none of the brushes or selection tools ‘draw’ on the image. The mouse pointer moves and the brush size increases and all the toolbars work – but no interaction taking place on the image. If I switch back to the tablet and its pen and mouse, it works fine.

The tablet is nice, but I’m not ready for it….so how do I get full control returned to my mouse??

Running WinXP Home….

Thanks!
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 1, 2004
Byron, thanks – that got me in the ballpark. When I did a Reset Tools, the functionality came back. Now I can keep both….whew!

Thanks again!
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 1, 2004
Byron, a postscript – I did indeed have to use your fix to get the regular paintbrush tool to respond to the mouse. Thanks again for your quick and accurate advice!
R
Ray
Feb 2, 2004
Chuck I discovered this "annoyance" a few months ago. The eraser would simply not erase, no matter
what I would be doing (i.e. promise to clean the dishes, get the garbage out, or defrag my hard drive 3 times in the same week…) Then, all I did was grabbing the pen and the eraser got back to life.

…. and there was no more dirty dishes, my hard drive was clean as new penny and garbage were no more… 😉

Ray
G
garyheaton
Feb 2, 2004
I dont know if any of you have had this happen to you, but it bugged me for a long time now. It may just be a problem with my system only, but I thought I would mention it on here in case it happens to others as well.
What happens is, I will be cloning away with my cloning tools, I save the photo, go do some other work, and come back and start to work on that or a diff photo. Then BANG..the cloning tool no longer works. Or it will only work on ONE PIXEL SIZE!!
I will delete the preference folder, reset all the tools, even uninstall the program. Half the time it still wont work. Then I go though and delete off all the wasted space on my drives, reset the scratch disks, and sometimes it would come back, other times still nothing. But the same FIX never seemed to work TWICE in a row.<LAUGH>
Then it dawned on me, it HAD to be a conflict with another device, or another software program. So I unplugged all my USB devices one at a time, and checked after each one. The results..nothing.
Then I started plugging them back in one at a time..and THAT WAS IT!! As soon as I plugged in my Wacom 3 tablet, the cloning tool, or the cropping tool, or some of the others would just stop working totally. It didn’t matter if I used the tablet, or my mouse, it was dead both ways.
I uninstalled the tablets drivers, and all the software for it, and reloaded it..and it worked fine. For about a week. Then the same thing happened again. So I repeated the process, and again it came back to life no problem. I have noticed a HINT that it gives me now, before it dies however. When I put the pen in the center of the tablet, it will be off in a corner on the screen..not centered as it should be. Not all the time, but often enough that I know what will happen next.
Once I see this happen, I know what is coming, so I just do a simple uninstall, and reinstall the software for the tablet, as well as the drivers for it, and it will keep working fine for me now.
(Oh..and I tried the new driver update on their web site, it made no difference with my problem.) It is possible it is a conflict with a driver for something that comes stock in the DLL files of XP, or maybe with one of my external devices, scanners, hard drives, etc..as well. But until I plug in my tablet, everything else functions fine.<LAUGH> It I use it a lot, (6 hours a day or more) it can happen a few times a week.
So, if you ever lose your cloning tools, and maybe some others, and you run a Wacom Tablet, try uninstalling your drivers, and software for it. It may save you a ton of time.<smile>
Gary~*

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections