JJ
Posted By
J.J._Hobbs
Sep 17, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am having exactly the same problem and I have reset all of my tools. Whenever I try to type text into a text layer, all I get is a little black dot and the cursor, but no type. The type layer gets titled with whatever I was trying to type, however, I am not able to see it on the screen.

I am working on a Dell Inspiron E1505 – new with PLENTY of memory.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

J.J.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

AC
Art Campbell
Sep 17, 2006
When you hide other layers, does anything show up?
What point size are you using?

Art
JJ
J.J._Hobbs
Sep 18, 2006
I reset my preferences, and now it works! Yay! Thank you! 🙂
DJ
Dennis_J_Jacobsen
Jan 16, 2007
I am having the same problem–type cursor over a small black square–unable to type text with or without the bounding box.

I have tried the following:

-reset type tool
-reset preferences
-I use resolutions from 72 to 300
-It occurs on all files I have tried
-I reinstalled PSCS2 version 9.0
-I turned Spyware Doctor off

It occurred suddenly. I really need the type tool.

Running Windows XP Pro

Thanks for your assistance.

Dennis Jacobsen
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Jan 17, 2007
Have you tried resetting the character palette?
DM
Don_McCahill
Jan 17, 2007
Is the image mode RGB, Dennis?
DJ
Dennis_J_Jacobsen
Jan 17, 2007
Michael, I have tried reseting the character palette. No change.

Don, I have tried both sRGB and aRGB.

thanks,

Dennis
DM
Don_McCahill
Jan 17, 2007
Go Image > mode to check the image mode. If it is indexed, the type tools operate oddly (and this is what it would be if you have opened a gif file).

If it is RGB, then I am out of ideas.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 17, 2007
What is the resolution of the file? if it is very small, like 1 ppi this can happen. This comes up every once in a while.
DM
Don_McCahill
Jan 17, 2007
Ed, he said

I use resolutions from 72 to 300
JJ
John Joslin
Jan 17, 2007
This is one of those where, if you were sitting in front of his computer, you’d probably see it instantly.
DR
Danny_Raphael
Jan 18, 2007
Dennis:

After PS CS was released symptoms very similar to these have been reported now and then by various CS users. I don’t recall reading of anyone with CS2 running into this one, however.

An obscure fix under CS was to hide the "Info palette." [I have no idea how this palette could have been related to the Type tool, but it worked for many folks…]

Does this "fix" apply in your case?

Another workaround was to startup a previous version of PS, open the document in question, create the Type layer, save/close, shutdown, start CS again, reopen the document and do whatever else needed to be done. Ugly, but functional in a pinch.

~Danny~
AF
Atrius_Fox
Jan 25, 2007
Well I am having a similar issue. I decided to try that info palette bit. It defaults as hidden. I make it visible, start a new document(just to test the text bit), make a text layer. Nothing is different.

However, upon closing said document and discarding changes(since I don’t care) CS2 fails and quits. Exact same step process results in the exact same failure(memory read address error).

If you guys can figure this out it would be awesome, cause I’m having the same issue.

On a side note it was working yesterday. 🙁
AF
Atrius_Fox
Jan 25, 2007
Hmmm, I went and tried something just now on my computer in Painter IX, I think it may be a problem in the computer itself(possibly). The picture in question is 375 pixels wide and 125 pixels high. I cranked the size of the text in painter to 600 cause I was having a similar problem with the same .psd. The text is THERE, it’s just UBER tiny. Even at 600 size it was only about the size of 12 regular.

If I save it as a .riff(painter format) and try again it’s the same problem. If I open a jpg(in either photoshop or painter) the text works fine. If I save one of these files that isn’t working as a jpg and reopen it, it still has the text issue. This is bizarre.
DM
Don_McCahill
Jan 25, 2007
Reading posting #2 in the thread would have saved a lot of head banging. We all assumed that you would have tried that, and therefore didn’t mention it again. It is the most common cause of this type of problem.
AF
Atrius_Fox
Jan 26, 2007
Yeah, looking back I see that now, I thought he meant the resolution as in the size. Braincramp. Thanks though all the same.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 26, 2007
Not Resize Canvas. Image>Image Size.

Seen this several times over the years. It should be in the FAQs maybe?
IB
Irmgarde_Brown
Jan 26, 2007
Thanks to Atrius Fox for clarifying… I think it was weird for me… I just showed up to work today and it was like that… also, my palette background/foreground colors had changed as well. It was very freaky … anyway. Thanks… my problem was solved. ib

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections