RH
Posted By
Ronald_Hirsch
Sep 17, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I don’t understand what is happening when I do the following.

I open an image of a grayscale, and I go to IMAGE>MODE>GRAYSCALE mode. I create a luminosity mask by clicking on CTRL+ALT+~.

The image now has marching ants outling a portion of the image areas, and it includes everything that is 0% (white) to 50% (neutral gray).

But, the "selection" is not necessarily just the area inside the marching ants, as I believe that creating a luminosity mask creates a mask proportional to the luminance of every pixel, and the mask covers the entire image.

While that mask is still active, if I start hitting the delete key the part that I don’t understand starts happening.

If I monitor the the 50% swatch, each time I hit the delete key, the "K" value drops as follows – 25, 12, 6, 3 indicating that it sequentially becomes one half the previous value.

If I monitor the 90% swatch, each time the delete key is hit, it drops as follows – 81, 73, 65, 58, 53.

If I monitor the 25% swatch, it drops as follows 6, 2, 1

The entire grayscale does of course get lighter each time I hit the delete key.

So my questions are – exactly what does hitting the DELETE key do when struck? It obviously is affecting the luminosity mask, but why do I get the results that I see?

Ron Hirsch

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 18, 2006
Short answer: It deletes the selection

What you have to understand is what a partial selection is. If a pixel is 50% selected (this happens to be where the marching ants are BTW) then the delete (or whatever) will only be 50% applied. if a pixel is 25% selected, then it is 25% applied, and so on.
JS
John_Slate
Sep 18, 2006
Longer answer:

It is not a mask, it is a selection, one created based on the value of each grayscale pixel.

The marching ants march along the boundry defined by pixels that are at least 50% selected.

Try dipping into quickmask mode, and viewing the quickmask channel to see the true nature of your selection.
RH
Ronald_Hirsch
Sep 18, 2006
I did go into QuickMask mode, and saw what I expected. There were various shades of red (my standard QM color), indicating various degrees of selection.

I think between the 2 replies here that I now understand what was happening. The concept of a partial selection finally registered with me.

Thanks to both of you.

Ron Hirsch

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections