Posted By
Byron Gale
Feb 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Marty,

Congratulations on a fine group of pictures! I enjoyed the tour.

Byron

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

J
jhjl1
Feb 1, 2004
Nice work Marty and congratulations. I really enjoyed viewing your photographs, you make that 4 acres look very inviting. The " Woods and White Chair" is calling me. Eclair and Puffy is a very nice shot and must be good company. Thanks for sharing Marty.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
B
bethC
Feb 1, 2004
Hi Marty
You have captured some lovely moments in nature. Your wonderful property must be a source of great inspiration. The bleeding heart picture is very creative! Great work.

beth
DB
Do_Brinkmann
Feb 1, 2004
Marty…really enjoyed seeing your "down to earth" photos…I can relate to all of them. These images are represent lovely memories of yours. Do
R
Ray
Feb 1, 2004
Congratulations Marty !! 🙂

Ray
SR
Schraven_Robert
Feb 1, 2004
Nice pictures Marty,

You show just two black and white images in your galery. Is that because they are the only ones? I like all your images but it seems to me that these two are somewhat different. Did you use a different camera for those two?

Robert
LK
Leen_Koper
Feb 1, 2004
Marty, nice recording of what’s important in your day to day life. It is not the single images, but the whole of these images that tell your story and, collections of images like these will be very valuable to historicans to reconstruct how life of common people was at that place at the beginning of the 21st century.
Images like these are often neglected as they won’t be for sale in art galeries but in the future they will be extremely valuable, probably more than many of the ones that sell at auctions.

BTW, I love your "moonlight cabin". Nice composition and you wonderfully framed the centre of interest by means of the dark edges of the image. Great image!

Leen
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 1, 2004
Hi Marty, I loved your pictures! You take photos of what I like to photograph, flowers, our yards, our family, our pets, and subjects that mean a lot to us, and isn’t it fun to have these photos to use PSE on.
Thank you for sharing these great photos!
Jane
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 1, 2004
Hi Marty 🙂 those are so beatiful ! I have to go with the Locust carcass as my favorite…so perfect ! Your pictures make me want to live there. How’s the weather down there this time of year ?..I’m curious.
SK
Shan_Ko
Feb 2, 2004
Marty,

Congratulations! And thanks for sharing your personal vision of your surroundings with us. Your "Cabin After the Rain" has a magical quality about it I find fascinating. My other favorites are the "Flower Box" and the B&W "Moonlight Cabin". Good job!

Shan
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 2, 2004
Marty,

I also enjoyed my tour of your images. I’ve never seen a funnel like yours, great idea and pic. The woods have such a nice feel to them, I’d somewhat forgotten the emotion associated with "the woods" having been in CA for several years.

Nancy
ML
Marty_Landolt
Feb 2, 2004
BYRON, Thanks for being the first to step on my grounds and viewing. JAMES H, I appreciate your nice comments!
BETH, Yes, Beth, I love the area although we are being squeezed in by development. DO, I am a very ‘down to earth’ person … many falls in the woods can vouch for that. RAY, Thank you. I still have to repeat that Eclectic class. ROBERT S, Thanks for looking at both my challenges. I began my photo experiences with black and white (a necessity), now I find it difficult to find suitable pictures to take and convert to B/W. Often, I like the latter better. And Yes, my oldest and youngest child and I had lots of laughs together.
LEEN K, Your attitude pleases me.
JANE, Thank you and I do hope I can learn a fraction of what you learned in the Eclectic class … if I ever get to repeating it.
JODI, Guess what … the Locust is my all time favorite, a kind of lucky shot. Left TN with their sun and arrived in IN with (ugh) snow and ice and cooolddd.
SHAN KO, Glad you took time out for my stuff. The Moonlit Cabin was a hoax come about through messing around.
NANCY, Your CA weather has beckened to me but I haven’t been able to respond. My sister loves it … around Canoga Park (sp?)
CR
Chris_Rankin
Feb 3, 2004
Marty,
Congrats! You have some wonderful images here and we all owe you a debt of gratitude, not only for sharing them with us but also for being the inspiration for the Challenge site which has allowed us all to improve our skills and develop friendships with a wide range of people that we would not have had a chance to meet otherwise.

CR
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 3, 2004
now aint that the truth !…three cheers for Marty !
R
Ray
Feb 3, 2004
Chris, I couldn’t have said it better myself (especially since my English is not as fluent as yours!) Thanks for saying that, it said what I couldn’t!

Ray
ML
Marty_Landolt
Feb 3, 2004
CHRIS R, My My … so generous with the praise. Oh but how I love it. I do have to share with Grant, not only for his snapping up my challenge but his intuitive sense that others would like such a challenge. He has put together this collection of pictures to present in his usual artistic manner, helping me tremendously.
Marty
LK
Leen_Koper
Feb 3, 2004
Three extra cheers for Grant too.

Leen
JD
Juergen_D
Feb 3, 2004
Marty,

Congratulations! Thank you so much for starting this thread a year ago. And, thank you, Grant, for responding and taking off with it. The rest is history…
http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@137.qrtbbnxF0H0.5 38480@.1de7c448/0

Juergen
GD
Grant_Dixon
Feb 3, 2004
Juergen

How did you ever dig up that thread? Great historical find there.

g.
JD
Juergen_D
Feb 3, 2004
Grant,

I vaguely remembered the original post and I had been wanting to find it and post a link for Marty and everybody else. Then, for the past few days search was unavailable but today it worked. I ran a search on ‘challenge +marty’ (no quotes) and …voila! It’s on the last of several pages of results.

Juergen
GD
Grant_Dixon
Feb 3, 2004
Excellent what a great trip down memory lane.

g.
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 3, 2004
Appropriate at this date we flash back to the origin of what has been a great journey all year long.
LK
Leen_Koper
Feb 3, 2004
Nice to see that all people from the early days are still active contribuants to this forum.

Nice family. 😉

Leen
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 3, 2004
Jodi

I humbly prostrate my self before your feet what a wonderful job.

Grant

…..I’ll never forget that one 🙂
DS
Dick_Smith
Feb 3, 2004
What a way to celebrate a year. I think I began looking at the challenges somewhere around 14, but don’t remember for sure.

Grant, do you still have the original challenge image? It would be fun for those of us who have "come along" later to see it.

Dick
ML
Marty_Landolt
Feb 3, 2004
JUERGEN, Oh how nice of you to go to all that bother. Finding that original thread cost me half an hour of wonderful memories. I knew someday I’d be glad I enterred the computer world and this year’s challenges have been my reward. Thank you Juergen!
Marty
PD
Pete_D
Feb 3, 2004
Excellent what a great trip down memory lane.

Indeed! That challenge did change things around here.

Pete
GD
Grant_Dixon
Feb 3, 2004
—– Original Message —–

"I humbly prostrate my self before your feet what a wonderful job. ….I’ll never forget that one :)"

Nor will I still gives my heart palpitations.

g. 😉
GD
Grant_Dixon
Feb 3, 2004
Dick

I do have it and I will repost it shortly. The center framed part of Marty portrait on the artist page was my rework of the original Challenge image.

g.
JD
Juergen_D
Feb 3, 2004
Marty,

My pleasure, my pleasure indeed…. 🙂

Juergen
BE
Bob_E._Warren
Feb 3, 2004
Dick —
You can see thumbnails of all the originals here:
<http://www.rewarren.com/challenge/originals.htm>
Click on a thumbnail to see a larger version.
Bob Warren
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 3, 2004
Oh Beth, Bob posted your doggies…i remember..I put them on the beach !
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 3, 2004
Bob, that is so cooool ! most of mine are burnt to disc so i don’t get to look back and enjoy like this too often…thanks !
BE
Bob_E._Warren
Feb 3, 2004
Jodi —
An added (and unplanned) benefit of putting up the web site was that when my hard drive crashed, destroying all my files, I was able to recover much of the graphics work from the web. I’m still tinkering with it every now and then.
Bob Warren
ML
Marty_Landolt
Feb 4, 2004
BOB W, An absolute wondrous work. I’ll be going over and over all your images. I think I’ll try to put together the originals with what I did and see if I can detect an improvement over the year. I will be doing ‘your thing’ tomorrow by finally having time to comment on everyone’s images.
Marty
BE
Bob_E._Warren
Feb 4, 2004
Marty —
Thanks! I’ll look forward to your comments. BTW, I think there are others, such as Jodi, who actually have done each Challenge during the week it was presented.
Bob Warren
ML
Marty_Landolt
Feb 4, 2004
BOB W, Yep, Jodi probably did … and she surely has done the MOST images. Problem Bob! I am trying to copy your pages of the original challenges BUT even it I set it to landscape they come out regular and the 5th in each row is barely showing.
I have tried to set it to fit and set it 80% … still no luck. Any suggestions as to how I can get it right.
Marty
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 4, 2004
Ya I haven’t missed any. It’s an addiction….a weekly addiction. I’m not sure about having the most done though. I’ve been falling behind over the past months and many others like Bob have done quite a few. Grant did post it at one time…how many we had all done but I believe he no longer uses the same software. At this point I’m looking forward to the next photo challenge as i feel i have failed the last one miserably 🙂 …if the next theme was ‘ winter misery’ i’m sure I could aim to please 😉
ML
Marty_Landolt
Feb 4, 2004
JODI, There is no such thing as "failure" on this challenge! Remember, no awards, no prizes, no wins …. don’t challenge yourself to perfection. You are already close enough for comfort.
Marty
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 4, 2004
it has nothing to do with perfection Marty. At least in my mind it doesn’t. When i create something i want to ‘feel good’ about it. That’s all.
BE
Bob_E._Warren
Feb 4, 2004
Marty —
Are you trying to print the web page with the originals thumbnail gallery? I’ve never actually tried printing the page myself, so I can’t offer too many hints. If what you want is all the thumbnails, you could try saving the page (include all the images when prompted). Then open Elements and point the Elements browser to the directory the images got saved in. The Elements browser will allow you to define how you want the array of thumbnails to be printed. I use this to print index prints for CDs that I burn images on.
Bob Warren
ML
Marty_Landolt
Feb 4, 2004
BOB W, DONE! That worked well and I now know how to make index pages for my CDs. Thank you so much, so very much!
Marty
LM
Lou_M
Feb 4, 2004
A belated congratulations, Marty! (I was on vacation). Add me to the list of admirers for your moonlight cabin.

As a sporadic Challenger since #5, I have to say that they are a lot of fun and I’ve learned a lot over the past year. Thanks, Marty for suggesting it, and Grant for implementing it.
ML
Marty_Landolt
Feb 4, 2004
LOU, Ah … never too late. That’s next to my favorite (Locust). Thanks for peaking into my world. Locust for the photography and Moonlight for its ambience. Can’t you just hear my son out in the field blowing taps.
Marty
ML
Marilyn_Lee
Feb 5, 2004
Marty – Just got through viewing your pictures, and what a nice collection it is! My favorite is "Claire on Deckrail." It looks so much like a picture created through crewel embroidery. There’s something very peaceful about it that I find particularly appealing. I still remember well your Challenge picture of the girl jumping rope. That was one of my all-time favorites.

Marilyn
ML
Marty_Landolt
Feb 5, 2004
MARILYN, Thanks for looking. The Clair should have been "Eclair" but it matters little since ‘what’s in a name…’ She sits there to let me know she’s enjoyed her 5 minutes outside. The jump rope girl was set in a background of my sister’s yard. My place is a bit more country, yet we live 500 ft from one another (It’s her summer place).
Marty
BW
Barbara_Wayne
Feb 5, 2004
Hi Marty,

Thanks for sharing your lovely four acres and your appreciation for nature. You have a very nice collection of images! A few of my favorites are Beech Tree Roots, Cabin After the Rain and Screen Porch Flowers. You’ve brought back some of my special memories of the woods as well, I remember picking wild violets and buttercups as a young girl, it was an idyllic place to be.

I also want to thank you for being the catalyst of the Challenge, and to our very generous host, Grant, for implementing them! 🙂 My hat’s off to both of you!!

Barb
TB
Terry Boyles
Feb 6, 2004
Marty,
Or should that be Arty Marty? Congratulations on being the artist of the month. Well deserved I might add. Just got through your gallery for about the forth time. Really great stuff. Think the Bleeding Heart is my favorite. No wait, Eclair%Puffy, or maybe Clair on Deck rail, or Cabin After Rain. OK,OK I’ll make up my mind. Yes, deffinetly Screen Porch Flowers! Or may Moonlight Cabin. Oh well, I just think they are all great.
I have noticed an improvement in your challenge entries as the year has passed. Not that the first were bad at all, but that this last weeks challenge 52 was simply fantastic. Love what you do and who you are. Thanks for being here for me to know.

Terry
ML
Marty_Landolt
Feb 7, 2004
BARBARA W, Thank you for the many nice words about my pictures. This has certainly been the place to see the real thing from all of you. TERRY B, It’s so nice of you to make comments though I feel you are too generous. I do admit to being a bit more satisfied with my work over the year. I could hardly to a copy/paste and had plenty problems with tracing.
Marty
ML
Marty_Landolt
Feb 18, 2004
Hey, How’d I get way down here. I need a boost upward so newcomers here I am. If you want to see a few of my pictures, go to the Challenge main page then choose Featured Artist.
OK, so I am vain. I also know my stuff can show the beginners that they are welcome to strut their stuff.
Marty
GD
Grant_Dixon
Feb 18, 2004
Marty

Not sure that beginner is going to cut it around here any more. Last year you were the beginner this you I think we will promote you to Adobe Elements Eager Beaver First Class.

Grant
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 18, 2004
oh my…indeed ! Marty, you know better than to think your work is any less that scrumptous. I’ve always loved your style…purity and peace. That must be just like you 😉
J
jhjl1
Feb 18, 2004
I’ve always got you flagged so I can find you regardless!

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
ML
Marty_Landolt
Feb 18, 2004
Grant, wow ! I’ll order my cap and gown.
James, hmmm, flagging? My female Sheltie was flagging recently! Jodi, Peace! that’s right, don’t know ’bout tuther.
Marty
ML
Marty_Landolt
Feb 29, 2004
To All who took part in the first year of Challenges.
Thanks to Grant and everyone for making it so successful and for the most memorable year in photography for me (an extra long one at that!)
Marty
JF
Jodi_Frye
Mar 1, 2004
Marty, yes, it has been a pretty swell year around here hasn’t it ? To new found loves in every shape(vector ;)) and form( raster 😉 )! Cheers !
GD
Grant_Dixon
Mar 1, 2004
I would like to take this moment to thank Marty for being the February artist of the month. It was great to have her and fun to work with Marty on this project.

Grant
C
cal
May 13, 2004
This is my first time to see this newsgroup.

Where might I find Marty’s photographs for viewing?

Thanks.

Cal

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 19:32:32 -0800, wrote:

I would like to take this moment to thank Marty for being the February artist of the month. It was great to have her and fun to work with Marty on this project.

Grant

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections