deebs
Sep 16, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello

Background
Attempting to set up a home network based on Freecom FSG-3 device.

Question #1
Is this likely to create bellyaches with Photoshop CS (whole Creative Suite)?

Reason
I seem to recall that Photoshop prefers a standalone computer setup for home users.

Question #2
Does anyone have experience of fixed dns providers eg www.no-ip.com?

Who knows, I may be able to host a website on the FSG-3 device?

Extro
Thanks for all answers/responses in advance

deebs

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

C
chrisjbirchall
Sep 16, 2006
Is this likely to create bellyaches with Photoshop CS

Only if you try to open and save across the network as it is possible to lose data this way. Copy files to the local computer before opening and saving them, then copy them back to the original location afterwards.
D
deebs
Sep 16, 2006
Sounds good to me!

I guess (all going well) I’ll know soon enough anyway.

I may toy (as in definitely will) see if I can create some FTP stuff maybe a website or 3 with IIS 🙂
D
deebs
Sep 16, 2006
A straight out of the box experience with both the PC and Mac.

The laptop seems to need a bit of working on.

Photoshop CS on the PC started eezy-breezy
L
LenHewitt
Sep 16, 2006
Deebs,

Who knows, I may be able to host a website on the FSG-3 device?<<

Most unlikely. The best speed you will get from ADSL is 768Mbits/sec on an 8meg ADSL connection and that really isn’t sufficient for serving web pages. Good shared hosting has a bandwidth of some 5x faster than that. Additionally, most ISP’s block Port 80 specifically to prevent folks serving pages over the ADSL network.

Then there are the security concerns. If you open one port of your server to all and sundry then you better make damn sure that your network security is really sound. Whether you run Apache or IIS, there are significant security concerns for the server itself, even if the server has no connection to your LAN. With a machine that is actually on the LAN then those problems multiply like rabbits in spring.

Now the FSG-3 with a built in Apache is probably more secure than running a web server on one of your LAN machines, but ‘probably more secure’ doesn’t equal ‘invulnerable’.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Sep 16, 2006
Deebs, I think the Creative Suite, as opposed to the standalone Photoshop CS(2), does support some degree of network usage, but only when using Version Cue. I haven’t the faintest idea what type of network usage that permits, because I don’t have the suite and thus don’t use Version Cue; it may only be useful if you have multiple people running the suite on networked machines. Check the help for Version Cue to see what it’s about.
D
deebs
Sep 16, 2006
Thanks for the pointers and shared experience.

If I do put FTP stuff or the occasional website there (on the FSG device) I think I’ll keep it hush-hush for me only stuff.

I thought one of the three LAN sockets may have been a bit dodgy but a quick run through with a utility on the CD soon put stuff right.

Thanks again guys – you are great!
DC
Daniel_Canfield
Dec 5, 2006
I have a photography studio and am running windows xp workstations (Xeon Proccessors) off of a server running server 2000 with gigabyte connections throughout. The storage of all the photgraphic images are in an 2 terabyte EMC unit that is controlled by the network server.
Images are accessed from the workstations which all run Photoshop CS. They are retouched, cropped , etc then saved back to the EMC unit.

I have added RAM (from 1 up to 3.5 Gigs)and scratch disks to my workstations with little if any improvement in performance/speed of Photoshop CS.
Being that the images are being stored in the EMC …Am I beefing up the wrong machine(s)??? Should I be increasing the server’s RAM, etc?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections