PR
Posted By
paule_rogol
Aug 23, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have just upgrade to Photoshop CS2 and an Imac with 1.4.7, having worked with Photoshop 6 in Mac OS 9.2 for many years. I’m still using both computers.

My issue: viewing headshots shot as verticals appears as vertical in the new computer and as horizontal in the old computer. I do not know which one is "correct" and need to provide a client with a CD with vertical headshots. How do I know when something is actually vertical and when the computer allows me to "see" it that way? Is there a way of finding out in CS2 how something will appear in other computers?

Thanks. I can’t seem to find this anywhere else.
Paule

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

PR
paule_rogol
Aug 23, 2006
oops, I meant to say mac os 10.4.7

Paule
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 23, 2006
by horizontal do you mean rotated to ‘landscape?’

can you provide a link to show an example of the difference you are talking about?
BB
by_Buko
Aug 23, 2006
your camera has added meta data that photoshop cs2 reads but photoshop 6 does not understand
PR
paule_rogol
Aug 23, 2006
Ken,
No, I can’t provide a link. In the new IMAC, the image appears automatically as vertical, but in my old G-4 with Photoshop 6, the image appears as a horizontal image.

Buko,
Is there a way of viewing the image so that I know what the TRUE orientation is? I would like to give a CD to someone else and be assured that I’m providing them with vertical headshots that appear with the proper orientation.

thanks,
Paule
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Aug 23, 2006
paule,

Even though Photoshop CS2 (Bridge v2) is displaying the images that were shot vertically (and, as Buko mentioned, hacve instructions written by the camera at the time of exposure that tell programs like CS2 to rotate the image when opened), the actual file as saved on your drive will be in horizontal format. Unless you open each image and re-save them, the only thing that is actually rotated automatically in CS2 is the thumbnail image (in Bridge) and the file when it opens in CS2. That rotation will NOT change the actual file unless you re-save the image once it is opened.

The "true" orientation of any rectangular digital frame is horizontal… but the ACTUAL orientation is how the frame was composed in the camera. In other words, there really isn’t a "true" orientation, only a logical one.
PR
paule_rogol
Aug 23, 2006
Thanks, Paul.

You’ve confirmed what I suspected, but was not sure. Is there any way of seeing the "true"orientation with CS2 or Bridge?

Paule
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Aug 24, 2006
Is there any way of seeing the "true"orientation with CS2 or Bridge?

paule,

I’m not sure what your confusion is. If you view the headshots in Bridge and they appear as verticals (and you have not already opened each image, done a rotation and saved), then you can be pretty certain that all the image THUMBNAILS have been auto-rotated by Bridge (as instructed by your camera to do so).

To "correct" each vertical thumbnail back requires that you manually rotate each (from within Bridge) back to horizontal. Again, though, the actual image file has NOT been auto-rotated unless you open the file in Photoshop and SAVE the image. Opening the same un-edited file in any program that does not recognize the rotation EXIF data in the file will display that file as a horizontal ALL the time. As a test, just drag an un-edited jpg, shot as a vertical, directly from your camera’s card onto the Safari web browser icon. Note that the file will display as a horizontal, un-rotated image.

To prevent the auto-rotation from occuring in programs that read this type EXIF instruction data provided by many cameras, make sure to turn OFF the auto-rotate function in the camera itself BEFORE the next photo session.

Hope this helps…
BB
by_Buko
Aug 24, 2006
What Paul said, and to add to that. if these are vertical shots and you will ultimately end up using them as vertical why do you want to add an extra 2 steps to make them horizontal and then make them vertical again.
PR
paule_rogol
Aug 24, 2006
I want to be able to send OTHER people the correct orientation, and not everyone is up to date with CS2. Therefore, I need to know which way the true orientation of the file is.

The image opens in Photoshop as a vertical image. So, I need to turn it horizontal in order to make sure that my CLIENTS can view it as vertical.

Do you understand my problem? I would like to view it in photoshop the way my client will ultimately see it. I would like to work on it as they will receive it. I have to assume that my client does NOT have mac or even the most up to date photo software.

As I understand it so far, there is nothing I can do in the computer to view the image in the correct orientation. I need to turn off the auto-rotate function in the camera prior to the photo shoot. Is this correct?

Again, is there anything I can do in the computer to turn off the auto-rotate feature?

Thanks.
Paule
PR
paule_rogol
Aug 24, 2006
Update:
I turned off the auto-rotate feature in the camera, and now the orientation is accurate. Thanks for that piece of advice.

Paule
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Aug 24, 2006
The image opens in Photoshop as a vertical image. So, I need to turn it horizontal in order to make sure that my CLIENTS can view it as vertical.

huh?

Your clients will view the images the way you send those files to them. If you want them to view as verticals, open each image in Photoshop, do your toning, sharpening and adjustments and save (you can even batch process this with an Action if all headshots are similar).

Why would you want to send the client horizontal headshots that should be vertical?

Regardless of the software your client is using, if you SAVE the images in the orientation you want them to view it in (in this case, vertical), then they will ALWAYS see the image as a vertical. If you are sending them untouched images straight from the camera (not a great idea in most situations), then turning off the auto-rotation feature in the camera will keep those instructions out of the EXIF data in the file, preventing software that is aware of such data from rotating the THUMBNAILS of each image.

Shoot… open in Photoshop… edit… save… send to client. No problems.
PR
paule_rogol
Aug 24, 2006
I see that now, but I had been viewing in Preview and then switching to work on an older computer with Photoshop 6.

Because the files appeared HORIZONTAL in PHOTOSHOP 6 in my older computer, I then rotated the files to appear vertical for THAT computer. But after switching back to the newer computer, my "corrected" files appeared horizontal, even in CS2. So the images appeared differently when I corrected it in the older Photoshop and then moved it to the newer Photoshop.

Do you understand now why I was confused? Clearly, the newer photoshop is "smarter", but having saved the images as vertical in Photoshop 6, these same images did not translate to appearing as vertical images in CS2.

If I knew then what I know now, I would’ve saved them first in CS2 and saved myself all that bother.

I did not open them first in photoshop because I wanted to do a quick edit, and the photos opened in Preview, which was easy to view.

I also did not know about the auto-rotate feature in the camera, so I was having a hard time understanding why I was seeing things vertical in one computer and horizontal in another.

The good news: I did just test the original files from the photoshoot and saved them as vertical in CS2. And yes, they do appear to be vertical now.

Sorry, it takes a while for some of us to keep up with the everchanging world of digital, where everything is old by the time one understands it.

Paule
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Aug 24, 2006
Clearly, the newer photoshop is "smarter", but having saved the images as vertical in Photoshop 6, these same images did not translate to appearing as vertical images in CS2.

Using Photoshop 6 (or any version, for that matter) if you opened each image, rotated it to vertical and saved (ie: wrote over the original image) then any program will display them as vertical.

It sounds like you did not actually over-write the original file after rotating it in Photoshop 6.
BB
by_Buko
Aug 24, 2006
Or it could be that since Photoshop 6 does not read the Exif data it does not over write it so when it is opened in CS2 the rotation data is read and the file is rotated from the saved version.
PR
paule_rogol
Aug 24, 2006
Buko’s idea sounds right.

The camera came out after Photoshop 6, so the application probably did not read the Exif data.

CS2 then rotated the version saved in Photoshop 6.

Now I know to save it in CS2. And I also have the choice whether or not to turn off the auto-rotate in the camera.
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Aug 24, 2006
Or it could be that since Photoshop 6 does not read the Exif data it does not over write it so when it is opened in CS2 the rotation data is read and the file is rotated from the saved version.

That is most certainly what happened. But the point of actually opening the image in Photoshop 6 (which would open as a horizontal, requiring manual rotation) and then saving the file, or opening in CS/CS2 (which would do the rotation but STILL require the image be saved) WOULD take care of the end-user viewing issue. The file would be saved in a vertical rotation and any program would display it as such.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections