Can you run CS2 from 2 machines at the same time?

JL
Posted By
Joe_Ligotti
Aug 23, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am still not exactly clear on the mechanics of this issue.

Suppose you have PSD installed on Mac 1 – a G4. It has been activated via the internet – SOP.

Now, you buy a Mac Pro, and connect the 2 computers via an Ethernet hub (home network). You install PSD on the Pro. The goal is to run PSD exclusively on the Pro, but you also want to be able to run it on the G4 if the Pro gets in trouble (i.e. strictly as backup – not simultaneous running).

Do you have to dectivate the G4 PSD & activate the Pro version – and vice versa, if in backup mode? Or, will the Pro version just simply run as an "allowed 2nd copy", as long as the G4 version isn’t running?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BB
by_Buko
Aug 23, 2006
No you can have it activated on 2 machines at the same time.

You are not supposed to use both machines at the same time.
AR
alan_ruta
Aug 23, 2006
You are not supposed to Jay-walk either.
C
Cindy
Aug 23, 2006
If you are on a network I think if you open both up at the same time it will be detected and not allowed. Correct me if I am wrong.
AR
alan_ruta
Aug 23, 2006
I just opened on two mac just to check and they are both happy as clamshells (the ibook at least).

alan
C
Cindy
Aug 23, 2006
Are they networked?
AR
alan_ruta
Aug 23, 2006
Yes of course–I understood what you wanted.

alan
C
Cindy
Aug 23, 2006
Thank you alan. 🙂
BB
by_Buko
Aug 23, 2006
Yes you can run both activated copies at the same time on two machines that are networked. I do it but then I am a one man shop. so if i’m using my Laptop I’m not using my G5.

You are however on your honor with Adobe not to have two activations(one License) being used by two different people at the same time.
AR
alan_ruta
Aug 24, 2006
Honor, give me a break. I admit I had sex before I was married–many times in fact I’m happy to say.

alan
BB
by_Buko
Aug 24, 2006
Gee Alan, now you are wasting our time with your stupid posts that have nothing to do with the topic.
AR
alan_ruta
Aug 24, 2006
Trust me nothing I say is every meant for you, so if you see my name listed, please pass it on by.

alan
R
Ram
Aug 24, 2006
Alan,

You must have a very reduced audience.
AR
alan_ruta
Aug 24, 2006
Minus two, I can live with that.

alan
R
Ram
Aug 24, 2006
2-2=0
AR
alan_ruta
Aug 24, 2006
Okay, I give. The result is zero–is that what you are saying?

I said "-2". Where did the first "2" come from?

Your humble oppugnant.

alan
R
Ram
Aug 24, 2006
OK, you get a point for accurately using oppugnant. 😀
AR
alan_ruta
Aug 24, 2006
2 – 2 = 0 + 1 Good, nobody wants to be a zero.
PT
Phil_Taz
Aug 24, 2006
But, can he pronounce it correctly?
PT
Phil_Taz
Aug 24, 2006
That’s probably -1 and using it as a stand-alone adverb is also -1. 2-2+1-1-1=-1
BB
by_Buko
Aug 24, 2006
Alan, weren’t you the one complaining about irrelevant answers and posts that waste peoples time?

Why yes I believe you were.

But now that you are doing it its OK.

Well that attitude makes you a dickhead.
AR
alan_ruta
Aug 24, 2006
LOL, wake up and die right will you. There is a difference between adding your 1 cent of mostly irrelevent info and ether confusing a newbie or better yet intimidating them as your personality seems want to do vs. actually (I admit) trying to liven up someones life with an entertaining or interesting repartee–clearly something way past you, so as I’ve said before: if you see my name, just pass it on by, its not meant for you.

And I’ve told you this before–can you undestand what I’m saying?

alan
BB
by_Buko
Aug 24, 2006
can you undestand what I’m saying?

yes you are a dickhead.
AR
alan_ruta
Aug 24, 2006
LOL sticks and stones…

If it makes you feel better about yourself, be my guest.

by Alan
BB
by_Buko
Aug 24, 2006
Just my observation.
CB
Chris_Baham
Aug 24, 2006
By "network" does that mean local network or internet network? We have a copy of CS2 on our production machine here.. but my boss said when she gets a new Mac for her home she might want to fiddle around with CS2 at home.. but I leave CS2 on the production machine at work turned on 24/7.. so if she tries to use her allowable 2nd version at home.. will that throw a wrench in the gears?
AR
alan_ruta
Aug 24, 2006
Unless you are on a VPN (and I’m not positive of that either) you won’t have any problem. Adobe/CS2 will search for another machine on the sam LAN using the same serial number.

It is not going to search the internet, not yet anyway.

alan
CB
Chris_Baham
Aug 24, 2006
Gotcha.. thanks.
C
Cindy
Aug 24, 2006
Whats a VPN? Virtual ? Network?
BB
by_Buko
Aug 24, 2006
Chris you are allowed 2 activations that can be anywhere.

work and home

home and laptop

work and laptop

laptop and laptop

home upstairs and home downstairs

you can’t activate a third computer until one of the two activations is deactivated you need an internet connection to do this easiest.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections