JH
Posted By
James_H_Boyd
Jan 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anyone know if there is a way to lock the aspect ratio of the crop tool so that whenever you change the size of the crop rectangle, that it will remain at a specified aspect ratio? This would be very helpful for cropping pictures to print on a particular paper size.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jim

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ray
Jan 30, 2004
Jim,

Simply enter the values for width and height, on the option bar, and the crop tool will be "proportionnaly locked".

Ray
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 30, 2004
Jim, you can also use the Rectangular Marquee in Fixed Aspect Ratio style to perform crops; as a matter of fact, a lot of us prefer it to the Crop tool. Both will do the job, however.

Chuck
BG
Byron Gale
Jan 30, 2004
Jim,

There have been two recent threads which have covered this topic fairly thoroughtly.

Find the threads titled:

"Cropping Pictures to a certain pixel size" and "How Does One Pre-Size & Crop?"

Briefly, though, with the Crop tool selected, enter your desired Width and Height values in the appropriate fields on the Options bar.

You may also do the same thing with the Rectangular Marquee tool, by setting it’s Style to "Fixed Aspect Ratio", but this tool does not allow for re-sizing the selection after you have released the click-drag.

Read through the other threads to get a lot of information with regard to the consequences of using either tool so that you can pick whichever method suits your desired end results.

HTH,

Byron
BG
Byron Gale
Jan 30, 2004
Ray and Chuck,

No wonder you both beat me to the post… you split the topic between you! 😉

Byron
JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 30, 2004
This topic seems to keep surfacing, and it always stimulates a rather lively discussion from "opposing" points of view. But after you have chosen the crop tool from the tool palette, near the top of your screen you will see input boxes were you can specify your height and width in either cm or inches. If you enter specific dimensions, and then the crop tool will behave the way you want it to in this situation. If you also put in a specific resolution, which is another option, it will cause your image to be resampled which may or may not be desired. Because of this particular "feature" of the crop tool, some people recommend using the rectangular marquee tool and changing it from normal to fixed size or fixed aspect ratio. Personally, I prefer to use the crop tool, but I seem to be in the minority. If you decide in the future that you want to freely crop and image and not be constrained by your dimensions, then you should hit the Clear button that you will see near the top of your screen.
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 30, 2004
Jim,

I would add the caution to others with your procedure that when working with a file from say a 2M camera, undesirable results may be obtained if selecting a rather small portion of the image for enlargement. This is not a criticism of your methods, whatever works for someone is the way to go, but you do begin with large files which reduces the poor quality printout possibility.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 30, 2004
Jim, re the "Croppers" vs. the "Marquee’ers", I’ll bet more people use the Crop tool. We Marquee’ers just tend to be more vocal!
🙂
Chuck
JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 30, 2004
🙂 🙂
R
Ray
Jan 30, 2004
LOL !

Ray and Chuck,

No wonder you both beat me to the post… you split the topic between you! 😉

Byron

JH
James_H_Boyd
Jan 31, 2004
This is a great forum. I am new to Photoshop elements and haven’t found my way around very well yet.

The issue of cropping and picture quality is not a problem, as I aquired Elements in the package with my Canon Digital Rebel.

Thanks to everyone for the help.
Jim
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Jan 31, 2004
as I aquired Elements in the package with my Canon Digital Rebel.

With over six megapixels to play with, you can crop to your heart’s content. Congrats on acquiring a great camera!
Bert

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections