KS
Posted By
Ken_Sheppard
Aug 22, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m having to reset my setting once a week because files will all of a sudden not open. Doing "Cmd+Option+Shift" works, but I shouldn’t need to do this so often.

Any ideas what the issue might be?

Question #2:
I have PS CS1, with 768mb of RAM, will buying more give a noticeable performance boost? I’m tired of waiting for the preview tiles to build in files over 40mgs. I could swear I didn’t have this problem 2 years ago.

Thanks.
Ken

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

KS
Ken_Sheppard
Aug 22, 2006
that’s "too often" 🙂
BB
by_Buko
Aug 22, 2006
Ken wht kind of computer?

how much free disk space?

what type of maintenance do you do? does machine run 24/7?

768 isn’t very much RAM
KS
Ken_Sheppard
Aug 22, 2006
eMac, 1Ghz, running 10.3.9

8gb of free space, I have a external Lacie HD and 16gb of space reserved for PS’s secondary scratch disk. Making it the first option ran sluggishly. Cache levels are at 6, using 69% of memory available.

I just started running iDefrag about once a week. I’d read many good reviews so I thought it might help my speed issues. Not really helping.

The computer usually runs 24/7.

thanks-
Ken
BB
by_Buko
Aug 22, 2006
OSX defrags on the fly.

drop your memory to 50% 4 levels of cache in the prefs.

get something like cache cleaner or cocktail and clean out the system caches. and delete the logs.
BB
by_Buko
Aug 22, 2006
Also if your disks are 85% full you need to either clean off your hard drives or get bigger ones
KS
Ken_Sheppard
Aug 22, 2006
Ok, I’ll try that. I probably need to add another 512 of RAM, if that will help?

What about my main issue,

"I’m having to reset my setting once a week because files will all of a sudden not open. Doing "Cmd+Option+Shift" works, but I shouldn’t need to do this so often."
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 22, 2006
What size is your primary Hard Drive?

Cleaning that off, plus running Coctail might put you back in the pink.

More ram is always a help. Rule of thumb: fill ‘er up.
KS
Ken_Sheppard
Aug 22, 2006
Only 40gb
R
Ram
Aug 22, 2006
Max your machine out with RAM. Get a larger drive.
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Aug 22, 2006
I have a external Lacie HD and 16gb of space reserved for PS’s secondary scratch disk. Making it the first option ran sluggishly.

In addition to the normal maintenance (cache cleaning, etc), there is a chance that this firewire drive is causing some troubles too. Eventhough it is your "secondary" scratch, if the firewire connection is flakey, it could be causing Photoshop to hiccup on startup.

Just a thought…
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 22, 2006
40G of working hard drive is super small, just enough for apps and maybe a few working projects at most. If you want to keep your computer and make accommodation simply do as has been recommended here. You don’t say how large the external drive is. I would use the external as mainly a ‘dumping ground’ for the projects you are not immediately working on. Whatever, it’s going to be like living in a two room apartment with each job like adding another roommate.
KJ
Kathryn_Jenkins
Aug 23, 2006
40G of working hard drive is super small, just enough for apps and maybe a few working projects at most.

As others have said, you need more RAM and a bigger hard drive.

8GB of free space just isn’t adequate. PS is not the only part of your system what utilizes caches or needs free space (the OS, apps like InDesign, etc.)

How hard is it to replace the interal drive in an eMac? If it isn’t difficult, get yourself at least 250GB. You can get a 250GB Seagate from outpost right now for $80.
BB
by_Buko
Aug 23, 2006
Be sure you eMac can see the drive over 137GB old Macs have a built in limit and need an extra PCI card to see the extra space. I would buy the biggest drive I could.
P
Phosphor
Aug 23, 2006
"old Macs have a built in limit and need an extra PCI card to see the extra space."

You can put a PCI card in a tower, but where to put one in an eMac? No can do.

Sooo, Read here:
<http://www.lowendmac.com/macdan/05/1024.html>
and here:
<http://www.speedtools.com/ATA6.shtml>
More:
< http://forums.macnn.com/65/power-mac-and-mac-pro/246391/the- power-mac-storage-faq/>

And Ken…have a look here at this page I put together not too long ago: <http://phosphordigital.googlepages.com/emacsurgery>
KS
Ken_Sheppard
Aug 24, 2006
My external is a 250gb Lacie.
P
Phosphor
Aug 24, 2006
Yeah, So? What’s your point?
KS
Ken_Sheppard
Aug 24, 2006
Just answering "Ken Nielsen", no point really.
KS
Ken_Sheppard
Aug 24, 2006
Thanks for all the info everyone! You’ve all been helpful!
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 25, 2006
Let us know if you resolve this Ken, I’m thinking the answer is to move on to a new computer… The same reality we all face at times, sooner or later.

The only thing you need to say when getting your new computer: "Fill ‘er up" (with RAM.)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections