L
Posted By
LRK
Aug 21, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Good to know that about it being made for my monitor. At this point I’m only using the one monitor but eventually I may have two.

Thanks very much guys!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

L
LRK
Aug 21, 2006
I sometimes like to use the wacom with the Powerbook. I wonder if I could use my old small graphite with the new stylus. Otherwise, the larger tablet might be too large?
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 21, 2006
I would be nice if the Apple store had the various sizes out for the public to try. I went through three sizes before discovering the one I liked. Expensive learning curve.

Remember the 12 x 12? – what a waste of real estate, in my opinion, that is.
L
LRK
Aug 21, 2006
I know. In one way the larger tablet is appealing, but in another way it seems like it might be in the way. I only like to use the Wacom for certain retouching, although I do like using it more when on my Powerbook.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 21, 2006
The Powerbook is the most inviting to have bluetooth enabled, just because I like to adjust everything to fit wherever I happen to be while running it. Lastly, in a Best Western, where they give you a small table to set up on, I was able to use bluetooth for online connection through my cell phone to the internet (no wireless to the rooms at this location) bluetooth mouse and bluetooth keyboard. I use a Intuos with the Powerbook but the USB hookup does not always make it as flexible for location as the other peripherals.

I hope Wacom eventually will come out with a bluetooth model in a smaller size.
R
Ram
Aug 21, 2006
I tried a Wacom Intuos 3 Platinum 9 x 12 Tablet" <http://www.a2zcomp.com/buy.asp?REF=12&SKU=E40319I>, and I found it absolutely great for two-monitor use. I just decided I can’t afford it or justify it now.
L
LRK
Aug 21, 2006
And the winner is…

I placed an order for the Intuos3 6×11.

Thanks a lot for all the support guys! You are the best! 😉
S
SteveV
Aug 21, 2006
I used a 12×12 for 11 years, not a waste at all Ken, it’s just something you get used to, during that time I used a 12×18 at work for 2 years too, I like the big sweeping strokes.

I use the 11×6 now as I needed to update to keep my tablet inline with my Cintiq, they can only share pens with other intuos 3’s and my my 12×12 is an intuos 1.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 21, 2006
"not a waste at all Ken"

SteveV, That’s why I made sure to add "in my opinion." This business of what is the best Wacom is a subject right up there with war and religion topics and is highly subjected to favoritism by individual users. I give all respect to the fact that we are a collection of professional artists and designers here, and each of us has our own preference over the range of products offered by Wacom. To me, it is both interesting and shows the individualism represented in these forums.
E
eltee
Aug 22, 2006
6×11 here too; works well
but I turned a click sound on… somewhere
and now it’s driving me crazy
[say "no" to click sound]
L
LRK
Aug 22, 2006
No, Click Sound!
E
eltee
Aug 22, 2006
smart girl
L
LRK
Aug 22, 2006
😉

This really was a quick question. Who would have thought that I would start a thread and make up my mind all in one day?

Thanks again for all of the feedback.
S
SteveV
Aug 22, 2006
Sorry, Ken, I didn’t mean it to say the way that came out. 😉

This really was a quick question. Who would have thought that I would start a thread and make up my mind all in one day?

LOL, Linda, I get that!
ZS
Zina_Saunders
Aug 22, 2006
LT, would turning the Alert volume all the way down in your Sound sytem prefs make the sound effect you describe go away?
E
eltee
Aug 22, 2006
nope
(but thanks for paying attention! : )
L
LRK
Aug 22, 2006
LT, What about deleting preferences? I know that’s a stupid statement as I’m sure you’ve already done it, but I’m putting it out there just in case.
E
eltee
Aug 22, 2006
I didn’t do it Linda (’cause I’m hardheaded : )

I looked and looked, and… just found the answer to my own problem. I have two system preferences for tablets:
an old one named "Tablet" and a new "Wacom Tablet" the click sound was "on" in the old "Tablet"
[now off : )]
L
LRK
Aug 22, 2006
Yay! No more clicking.
AR
alan_ruta
Aug 22, 2006
Without question the size of the tablet is one of personal feel. I like to be able to cover a lot of real estate by just bending my wrist.

With most of the navigating of the desktop I still prefer using a mouse–I find I mis-drop too many folders and files with the pen.

So, I mostly use the pen for retouching details–I don’t need a lot of real estate–thats my preference and why. I do need sensitivity. I have an old 4×5 (that I carry around on freelance outings) with only 512 levels and it feels quite kludgy at times.

I don’t know if tablets are demoed at Mac stores ofr (eek) CompUSA because that would seem ideal–to be able to try different sizes and pressure levels.

alan
E
eltee
Aug 22, 2006
I didn’t see tablets demoed in stores but I’d look for Wacom events

<http://www.wacom.com/companyinfo/events.cfm>

oh! and on my 6×11 I disabled the right-hand-side buttons; I’m right-handed and they were "getting in my way" [and nerves; what’s new? : )]
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 22, 2006
Any Wacom, Any Size, has been the best offense at keeping management from actually trying to do moves on my computer at work. Once they see there is no mouse, they pick up the pen and realize they are trying to move a cursor that behaves the opposite of what they expect. It puts them completely out of control. They back off and go back to their own desk.

I love my Wacom.

: )
BB
by_Buko
Aug 22, 2006
I like to keep an unconnected mouse handy.

Its fun to watch somebody try to use it. B)
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 22, 2006
How cruel…

Can I come over and watch too?
BB
by_Buko
Aug 22, 2006
I’m sure you have an extra mouse you can be cruel with too.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 22, 2006
When I get a new computer, the mouse goes into storage with the cartons. Good luck finding one since our move. That’s all right. The Wacom gives them torture enough.
BB
by_Buko
Aug 22, 2006
Better dig that mouse out. If you need to start up off the Install CD or DiskWarrior CD you can’t use your Wacom there are no drivers.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 22, 2006
Thanks Buko, Never has happened, but if it does, I know where the boxes are… somewhere in Cancún I think… I’ll have to look…
S
SteveV
Aug 22, 2006
Same here Todie, except on my 6×11 I’ve turned off both sides buttons, the buttons were fine for a while but a well placed keyboard is just as easy for me to do quick key functions, even on the cintiq.
L
LRK
Aug 25, 2006
The Intuos is beautiful. I’m used to having Graphites in the past. You can see and feel the quality of the Intuos, not only with the table, but also the stylus and even the mouse feels better.

Those of you with the 6×11. Do you Define a small area of the tablet to use? It seems that this is better for most uses as it keeps you from having to move all over the tablet.

One thing I do miss is a stand for my stylus. Where do you all keep yours when not in use?
S
SteveV
Aug 25, 2006
The extra presure sesitivity is like the difference between writing with a 20c pen or a 50 buck ballpoint.

You get a stand for your pen with the 11×6, and yes I like the whole drawing surface, but I do have three monitors to cover.
L
LRK
Aug 25, 2006
Thanks Steve. I found my stand and it is a nice one. It was hidden under the wrapper. Three monitors? You must give your neck a workout each day, not to mention your hand. I am an upsidedown lefty so I like have a small area to confine the stylus.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 25, 2006
Didn’t you get a holder for the stylus with the tablet? They always used to include one. Can you use your old one?
L
LRK
Aug 25, 2006
I found it Ann. Sorry about that. I am very impressed with my new Wacom.
D
Dirk
Aug 25, 2006
"Do you Define a small area of the tablet to use"

I’m setup with two 19" monitors so I use the whoooole thing…

I couldn’t find my stand either at first. It was hidden in the box…
L
LRK
Aug 25, 2006
Thanks Dirk. I can tell that with this setup I need to learn to utilize all the tools and buttons. I already feel comfortable with the extra function keys and touch strip, especially for retouching.
L
LRK
Aug 26, 2006
I’m curious about the new Wacom. It has the normal flipper piece of soft plastic on the work area, but it is not clear. I thought the purpose of this was for tracing, thus it can be flipped up and paper inserted under it. Because it is not transparent I wonder what it is there for. Sorry if this is a stupid question.
L
Larryr544
Aug 26, 2006
Why not order an extra pen while you are at it. Enjoy your new tablet.
BB
by_Buko
Aug 26, 2006
I’ve never used the Wacom for tracing.

But if you want to trace just tape what you want trace on top of the tablet it will work just fine.
L
LRK
Aug 27, 2006
Thanks Larry!

Buko,
Thanks, but I don’t want to trace. I just wanted to know why the plastic is there and what purpose it serves.
L
Larryr544
Aug 27, 2006
It’s replacable but most of all it’s for tracing. You can put a photo under it and draw away. Ann like to put a sheet over it to get more traction with the pen. It’s not as slippery.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections