RS
Posted By
Raymond_Sanborn
Jan 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Upon trying to close PE2 I get the message "Could not complete your request because the client application is not responding. Save the document from the client application."

I copied a portion of a Word document into PE2 and after manipulating it in PE2 copied it back into another Word document. I then closed out of the Word documents and then tried to close PE2 when I got this message. Does anyone know what happened and what I should do in the future to prevent this from happening? Or, how to overcome this situation without shutting the computer down? I am running a Windows XP system and using Office XP.
Ray

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 29, 2004
For me, this is a rather difficult workflow to follow. I shouldn’t have to mention this, but it seems to me that you have a conflict in document types. Microsoft Word creates text documents; Photoshop Elements creates and provides us with the capability to edit graphic documents. Normally the two are not compatible. That being said, if you are able to import into Photoshop Elements what you really want to work on, it might be a better choice to save the edited graphic back to an appropriate graphic format, close down Photoshop Elements, and then add the new graphic to the Word document.

If you could provide some additional information as to what you were trying to do, perhaps I or someone else can be of further assistance.

Jim
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 29, 2004
Jim, I agree with saving the photo to a file and then copying it into Word; that’s what I do for the newsletter I edit for a local non-profit. However, I haven’t had the need to close down Elements; the multitasking environment of my Windows XP Home setup seems to be able to support both programs without conflict. I could see a problem if I had severely limited resources (hard drive scratch space and RAM) but in my ‘average’ environment there hasn’t been an issue. Perhaps others have had conflicts, though.

Chuck
JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 29, 2004
I agree with you, Chuck, however I thought this might be a good starting point to see if that isolated the problem. If it does, then the workflow can be modified to work within the limits of the two programs. Maybe I was being a little too cautious, but I wanted to make sure there wasn’t some other conflict. I have been working with Microsoft Office since the ’97 version, and every time they come out with a new version I have to make modifications to my Access databases. Can’t figure out why, it’s just a given.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 29, 2004
Jim, I hear you on the problems with versions! I’m still using 97 for Access, Excel and Powerpoint, but have Word 2000 (came with the ‘puter). The new versions are supposed to be backward-compatible, but it just doesn’t seem to work that way… Your cautious approach is a solid one.
JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 29, 2004
I tried to stay with Access 97. But we have a network administrator here at work who feels that he is THE authority on every software application that is released. He told me specifically several years ago that we were not going to upgrade anyone beyond Access 97 because it wasn’t necessary. I made the mistake of taking him at his word. The next thing I know, he is installing new computer systems, and has installed every version of Microsoft Office on one computer or another. And then he comes to me with blood in his eyis when the users have problems.

I apologize for the digression from the real topic of this thread.
RS
Raymond_Sanborn
Jan 29, 2004
JIM & CHUCK:
Thanks for your discussion. I was probably performing an operation that PE2 wasn’t designed to handle. Anyhow, FYI I wanted to turn some text upside down in Word to send to a friend as a joke in an e-mail. So I
(1) Created a Text Frame in Word (2002)from the Drawing Menu. Placed my text in it. Then copied the Text Frame to PE2.
(2) Next I Free Rotated the Text Frame in PE2. Then selected All and Copy. (3) Then I copied the upside down text frame into a separate Word Document that was a return e-mail in Outlook which uses Word as my e-mail client and therefore accepted the rotated Text Frame from PE2.
(4) Then I sent the e-mail with the Rotated Text Frame and closed down my original Word Document that contained my original Text Frame.
(5) Then I tried to close down PE2 getting the message of my original post. (6) The only way I could close PE2 after these operations was by shutting down the computer.

If I ever try to duplicate this procedure, which will be quite rare, I will take your suggestion Jim and attempt to close PE2 first before closing any other programs. In attempting to close PE2 I did notice that I couldn’t clear the Clipboard regardless of what I did which I guess was a result of my unorthodox operations.
Thanks very much, Jim and Chuck, for your considerations. Ray
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 29, 2004
Ray, that’s an amazing workflow. I certainly admire your creativity in coming up with those steps!!
🙂
Chuck
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 29, 2004
Ray, I guess you needed to have the upside down note look a particular way….but you can use WordArt within MS Word (Insert>Picture>WordArt) and do all kinds of interesting rotations, etc. Kinda fun!

Chuck
RS
Raymond_Sanborn
Jan 30, 2004
Chuck:
Thanks for the replies Chuck. I’m not sure "Amazing" is the correct term? Perhaps something like "unconventional", "abnormal" or just plain "weird" would be more descriptive.

Anyhow, I wasn’t aware of the WordArt feature of Word. I’ve played with it since your reference. It would have sufficed for my gyrations. So, thanks one more time for your expert guidance.

Please continue to hang around this forum and keep on sharing your knowledge with novices like myself.
Ray
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 30, 2004
Ray, I’m glad you found and like WordArt! I don’t use it often but it can be fun. I’ve also used it to put a big "DRAFT" diagonally across a document I was creating; can put it in the Header and splash it across the whole page.

Chuck

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections