KH
Posted By
keri herman1
Aug 5, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What is the best way to crop only a layer, rather than the entire image?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

P
Phosphor
Aug 5, 2003
I use the marquee tool. I select the area I want to keep, invert and then press delete.
DM
dave milbut
Aug 5, 2003
I use the marquee tool

me too. Also with the marquee tool, you can set the options to fixed size or fixed aspect ratio for more precise usage.
DM
Demetrio Mancini
Aug 5, 2003
What is the best way to crop only a layer, rather than the entire image?

I usually use a layer mask. I make the selection with the rectangular marquee tool, then add a layer mask with the button at the bottom of the layer palette. This way, you can transform or move the mask to hide or reveal parts of the layer.

Bye.
CW
Colin Walls
Aug 5, 2003
Keri

Do review Demetrio’s suggestion. Using masks is just as effective [actually more so!] and completely non-destructive.

I am a big fan of this approach as I love knowing that I can sort out almost any screw-up later.
P
Phosphor
Aug 5, 2003
I am a big fan of this approach as I love knowing that I can sort out
almost any screw-up later.<<

Meeeeee tooo!
CW
Colin Walls
Aug 5, 2003
Thanks for the support Ed.

It wasn’t long ago that I "saw the light" on masks and now there’s no going back …

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections