Posted By
viper2
Aug 4, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Help me please! I think I’m going mad 🙁

I am creating a folder and am making the cover bg in photoshop. The majority of the cover needs to be in pantone 429c with certain other elements in 4 colour which will be added in InDesign.

So I make a monotone PS doc and set the colour to 429. I select 429 in the colour picker and set as the bg. But the colour looks light so I check the cmyk breakdown which shows 39/27/34/0. Looking in my pantone book it should be 3/0/0/32!

So I bring a logo in to the doc which was made in Illustrator. This has a solid 429 element which also looks different, and clicking on that value gives me 16/11/10/0!

Please, what am I doing wrong?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

E
eltee
Aug 4, 2006
Photoshop CS2 uses the correct Lab numbers for Pantone colors. (everything else is relative [to your preferences])
V
viper2
Aug 4, 2006
Thanks

I only have CS1. So does this mean if I want the exact colour I have to make the monotone colour from the correct pantone breakdown?
CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Aug 4, 2006
Same thing applies to CS1, PS7 and PS6

If the colour in the monotone has the right name, and you are using a fifth plate, then I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

Though reading up on colour management in Photoshop would be a good idea
V
viper2
Aug 4, 2006
ah, of course I see now. So if i filled a layer with 100k that would equate to 100% pantone 429 as it would be printed as such on a 5th plate? If that’s the case I can continue 🙂

thanks!
E
eltee
Aug 4, 2006
that’s the case : )
(Well,.. almost. Opacity can play a role on the display [but not in print])

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections