BH
Posted By
Beth_Haney
Jan 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I really can’t figure out exactly what it has to offer besides the capability of removing dust and scratches from within the scanning process. Neither of those things have been big problems for the kind of photos I’ve been working with. Or, at least I haven’t run into anything that Elements isn’t able to handle nicely. Epson is getting ready to replace their 3200 Pro scanner with the 4870, and one of the biggest advantages is the inclusion of Digital ICE. I can get a much better buy on the soon-to-be-obsolete 3200, but I don’t want to be really sorry! So, the two scanners I’m currently comparing are:

Epson 3200 Pro, which can be bought for a little over $400AR

Epson 4870, which is already out in other countries and due to be released here on Feb 1. It will be about $600. There are sites doing pre-orders.

Any feedback welcome, especially from people who can make better sense out of the technical information that me!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 29, 2004
J
Johnny
Jan 29, 2004
I’ll say this — Digital ICE works (in my Nikon Coolscan III). While images can take longer to scan, you don’t need to spend (as much) time manually fixing the images.

Whether or not *you* will see a $200 difference probably depends on how much your time is worth and how much you scan. If you can save 10 hours fixing photos manually and your time is worth $20/hour, then it’s paid for itself.

One thing I did find on Epson’s new scanner:

Performance is fast, and image quality, with one small exception is superb
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 29, 2004
Beth,

I’d feel more assured of your scanner plan coming to fruition with an imminent purchase if you’d said "deciding between" rather than "currently comparing"…:) just go for it this time!

Your friend,
Nancy
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 29, 2004
VERY important for film.
Not so for flat copy.
Note that the flatbeds with ICE mainly only use it for flat copy, last time I noticed.

Mac
SK
Shan_Ko
Jan 30, 2004
Beth,

I have the 3200 Pro, but I wish I had the Digital ICE to save time spent on removing/reducing the dust and minor scartches on the film emulsions. If I were to buy a film scanner, ICE will be a decisive factor.

BTW, the 3200 Pro works beautifully for my needs in film scanning because of I also have 120 films. It even comes with a 4"x5" frame on the same carrier for 120 films.

Shan
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 30, 2004
Tell ya what, Shan, why don’t you buy yourself a new 4870 and sell your old worn out 3200 Pro to me? 🙂 If one primary advantage of Digital ICE is its ability to remove dust and scratches from emulsion, I really won’t have much need for it. I think I started on my old photo project earlier than some of you, and most of what I have left to do is scanning photographs. I still have a dedicated slide scanner, so that capability within a flatbed will not have much use, although it would be nice to be able to stick an oddball slide or neg in the flatbed and not have to fire up the Windows machine. It sounds to me like I’d be perfectly happy with the 3200 Pro. Thank you! I may e-mail you privately and ask another question or two.
SK
Shan_Ko
Jan 31, 2004
Beth,

Your offer is very tempting. But I can’t afford to upgrade the scanner right now. 🙁 Recent major purchases of a computer and a new buggy for my wife just about cleaned out the piggy bank.

A word of caution about the Digital ICE packaged with the Epson 4870. before I bought the 3200 Pro, I was tempted by the Microtek bundled with ICE. But it was for prints only! I didn’t look through the small prints in the Epson 4870 blurb because of my extra blurry eyesight (due to a bad cold) the last couple of weeks.

My e-address is:- in case you don’t have it in your address book. Please feel free to e-mail me.

Shan
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 31, 2004
Well, I went ahead and ordered the 3200 Pro today. I decided that since I’d never "wished" for something like Digital ICE that I wouldn’t miss it. Cheaper than the 4870, too! 🙂
D
davidcontreras
Feb 21, 2004
Beth
a rebate may still be available for the epson 3200 pro. Cut off date may be 31 March 04.

david
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 21, 2004
I’ve got to get it in the mail today; I think the cutoff for the one I bought is actually Feb 29! And for $100, I think I’ve even register the letter. 🙂

I love the scanner, but getting the SilverFast Ai up and running was a little tricky. One step of the registration process was left out of the instruction book. Makes it trickier.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections