Photoshop CS (1) wont open any files, in any way – Please help!

V
Posted By
velvia
Jul 30, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi
Photoshop has started to do an odd thing …and I am in crisis as I am a photographer and kind of need it!

It will not open ANY image file, of any size, or any type via any opening method – double clicking on the file, dragging onto the dock icon, using Finder and File Menu>Open or going into P/Shop and using File Menu>Open.

Photoshop opens fine and does all the usual things when opening an image file – it even gives me the dialogue box when the Colour Settings do not match the work space.

Then, every time it gives me a message saying: "Could not complete your request because of a program error".

It gives the same message if I try to create a new file within P/Shop.

Thus far I have:
– Repaired disk permissions
– Binned P/Shop prefs
– Uninstalled and re-installed the whole of Creative Suite 1 (!!!) – Tried a new user account and the problem was the same. – I read about needing to put "Adobe Unit Types" File into a folder called "ScriptingAdditions" at HD/Library/ScriptingAdditions. (This was already there, but I tried an old version from an archived OS 10.4.4, and then downloaded a new version of it from the web and tried that).
– Put this file in every library I could find on the Mac (that was out of desperation!). – Restarted about a billion times.
– Checked Adobe.com for updates and help.
– Added any available updates for CS1
-Trawled the web for hours looking for a solution.
– Disconnected from the internet while opening a file (As Adobe suggested – like that it gonna do anything?!?!?)
– run /sbin/fsck -uy at the command prompt after starting up in single user mode. – Torn my hair out
– Sworn a lot.
– Resisted temptation to put foot through monitor

I also installed an old copy of Elements v2 in the hope it would give me at least something to work with but I got exactly the same problem and message from Elements – arrrgh!

Frankly, I think I have done pretty much everything possible and am clean out of ideas – any thoughts anyone?

My info – OS 10.4.7, Photoshop CS1 (Part of Creative Suite CS1). This has only happened since I installed OS update to 10.4.7

Please help!

Thanks

Rob

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BB
by_Buko
Jul 30, 2006
if trashing prefs does not work

you might try an archive and install
P
poi
Aug 29, 2006
Hey Rob-
I have never heard of such a thing!
This seems to be a problem with a library in your system- maybe it was deleted my accident?

I would reinstall OS X and download the updates- do not use the "SOFTWARE UPDATE" function as it sometimes misses important installs. DOWNLOAD your updates from apple and install from your disk. This has solved MANY problems for me.

Option TWO: Your disk drive may be malfunctioning. This happened to me last year (the first time since 1987!). It is VERY rare that the hard drive fails, but it does happen. If reinstalling software etc does not work, it is a hardware problem- most likely your drive. Back it up right now and see if that helps.

T

In article ,
wrote:

Hi
Photoshop has started to do an odd thing …and I am in crisis as I am a photographer and kind of need it!

It will not open ANY image file, of any size, or any type via any opening method – double clicking on the file, dragging onto the dock icon, using Finder and File Menu>Open or going into P/Shop and using File Menu>Open.
Photoshop opens fine and does all the usual things when opening an image file – it even gives me the dialogue box when the Colour Settings do not match the work space.

Then, every time it gives me a message saying: "Could not complete your request because of a program error".

It gives the same message if I try to create a new file within P/Shop.
Thus far I have:
– Repaired disk permissions
– Binned P/Shop prefs
– Uninstalled and re-installed the whole of Creative Suite 1 (!!!) – Tried a new user account and the problem was the same. – I read about needing to put "Adobe Unit Types" File into a folder called "ScriptingAdditions" at HD/Library/ScriptingAdditions. (This was already there, but I tried an old version from an archived OS 10.4.4, and then downloaded a new version of it from the web and tried that). – Put this file in every library I could find on the Mac (that was out of desperation!).
– Restarted about a billion times.
– Checked Adobe.com for updates and help.
– Added any available updates for CS1
-Trawled the web for hours looking for a solution.
– Disconnected from the internet while opening a file (As Adobe suggested – like that it gonna do anything?!?!?)
– run /sbin/fsck -uy at the command prompt after starting up in single user mode.
– Torn my hair out
– Sworn a lot.
– Resisted temptation to put foot through monitor

I also installed an old copy of Elements v2 in the hope it would give me at least something to work with but I got exactly the same problem and message from Elements – arrrgh!

Frankly, I think I have done pretty much everything possible and am clean out of ideas – any thoughts anyone?

My info – OS 10.4.7, Photoshop CS1 (Part of Creative Suite CS1). This has only happened since I installed OS update to 10.4.7
Please help!

Thanks

Rob

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections