N
Posted By
niallc
Sep 14, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’d appreciate any help with this problem. I have a almost 2000 PSD and TIFF files that I want to resize and convert to JPEGs but I particularly want to keep all metadata. I particularly want to be able to have other users on my network access the jpgs using Photoshop Album and have correct "shot on" dates.

I started off with CS running an action that used "save as" (not save for web). I got variable results doing the conversion this way with some pictures keeping all the correct data and others setting the shot on date to the moment that I did the conversion.

I had been looking for an excuse to upgrade to CS2 so did this pretty much immediately on the basis that this would fix my problem and generally make me a happier person.

I have now tried doing the same task using Image Processor and again I am getting variable results. Specifically from a sample files:

– some files convert fine

– some seem to change the "Date Created" under File Data to today’s date, leaving Date File Created and Date Modified as the original, other have all 3 fileds reset to today’s date

– when viewed in Bridge, the date shown for most of the saved jpg pictures is correct while ~20% of the converted pictures show today’s date despite having the correct data somewhere within file info. For example on one, IPTC Core Date Created is right but all 3 date fields in File Properties have been reset to today’s date.

– when viewed in Photoshop Album things are even worse with today’s date being show for about 60% of the converted images.

Apart from that I can’t figure out how to get my old CS actions into CS2 etc etc. But I’d be happy to solve one problem at a time so any help with how to get accurate metadata on file conversion would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Niall

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JT
jason_tinder
Sep 14, 2006
don’t know if this might help, but I normally use acdsee for batch converts/resizes. i’ve never had trouble with it losing metadata. you should be able to find it on download.com and it works 100% better than bridge (particularly in CS)

your mileage may vary

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections