JG
Posted By
Justin_G_DeWolf
Sep 12, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am kinda new to this so forgive me if i have terms incorrect, but here is my issue.

Previously i have been using PS 5.5 to resize pdfs, and save to gif format. When opening a pdf in 5.5 you are prompted with an options box to choose things such as height, width, anti-aliasing etc. That would allow me to resize the image before photoshop rasterizes.

On CS2 when i open a pdf, an option box comes up, with crop box, dpi, etc.. but no dimensions. When its opened i can resize however, when doing so there is an obvious loss in quality.

I also need to be able to do this in batch, with sometimes hundreds of files. What are my options? Thanks in advance,

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BL
Bob Levine
Sep 12, 2006
Of course there’s a loss of quality. Anytime you rasterize vectors you’re going to get a loss of quality.

Why are doing this? Perhaps there’s a better solution.

Bob
JG
Justin_G_DeWolf
Sep 13, 2006
My company needs to convert thousands of pdfs to gifs weekly. Beleive it or not until not photoshop 5.5 has been the easiest most cost effective way to do this. As of lately we are running into pdfs that will not load correctly into 5.5, but will load correctly in cs2. We are exploring other imaging software atm, but for the time being want to moce to cs2 to alleviate the number of problematic conversions we are having each week. So i just need to find out how to resize the pdf before its rasterized. Make sense?
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 13, 2006
CS2, as you’ve found out, doesn’t allow you to do what you could do in 5.5 as it relates to setting imported doucment dimensions. The PDF Import dialog preserves the dimensions of the original image.

It never occurred to me that resizing the image in the dialog of 5.5 did so before rasterization. However…

If you set the resolution higher in the PDF Import dialog, you can achieve the same effect. It’s not as straightforward as simply picking dimensions, but it achieves the same goal provided that you aren’t talking about changing the aspect ratio – or dimensions on import with 5.5.

As I think about it, depending on how variable your pdf dimensions are, this is likely quite automatable. You just may have to experiment with the right resolution to produce the proper image size.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections